996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GT3RS Style Wing Anyone?

Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GT3RS Style Wing Anyone?

I came across this and cannot seem to not want to get my hands on one. Necessary? Absolutely not. Awesome? Definitely.

There are only four providers that I can identify, CariD, Getty (more of a cup wing), Wicked Motors, and DirectCarToys.

$3-4k seems absolutely insane to me but I guess thats the going rate.

Any chance there are others on here that have this wing installed?

Here's what I'm talking about (not my car but hot damn)

Last edited by vandersmith; 01-21-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:37 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Not a wing fan for any car on the street, but that's a good looking car!
Old 01-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

If you're gunna get a wing, get a real wing!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stvsxm
im curious... which was the selling point for you... the 15 mph reduction in top speed because of the drag or the terminal understeer because of the terminal aero imbalance ?
I'm not sure who you are, but Vandersmith is a very beneficial member on this forum and also tracks his car frequently and provides wealth of knowledge. You can't simply state without knowing the angle of attack of the wing or other modifications to the car, that it going to cause terminal understeer. All wings can be set up differently and can be combined with other aero pieces and or modifications to make the car work... also, some people just strictly appreciate the look/styling.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:50 PM
vandersmith
Pro

On the street this is complete overkill and serves no purpose which can be said for a lot of what we share & debate on rennlist.
On the track I think this could perform but probably not much more than my current GT2 wing so it is somewhat of a cosmetic purchase.

When I installed my GT2 wing it was only truly beneficial above 80mph which happens to be perfect for Turn 1 at both of my favorite tracks and a few other sections. Without a counter aero front lip/splitter, the car lifts tremendously - I ran over my turbo lip mid-day and had to run 4 sessions with no front aero which taught me quite a bit.

I'm at the track pretty often and thats really been the goal for my car. Building a track performer that can keep up with newer models in the right hands and be driven home at the end of the day. I did so many track days last year they gave me a friggin job. Volunteering of course but I'm happy to support the PCA community in exchange for a free lunch and more seat time.

This wing would be balanced out with one of Joe Toth's 2-piece front splitters (already in my garage) which are fantastic by the way:

Last edited by vandersmith; 01-21-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:00 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my solid post GT2RS (style) wing. Works really well - in fact, I'm picking up my POC 2016 class championship award this evening at the Porsche Experience Center in LA.
The following users liked this post:
cwbrown (02-25-2020)
Old 01-21-2017, 04:17 PM
johneecatt
Pro

im curious... which was the selling point for you... the 15 mph reduction in top speed because of the drag or the terminal understeer because of the terminal aero imbalance ?

Pretty sure I don't lose 15 mph, and absolutely sure no terminal understeer...
Old 01-21-2017, 05:21 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

^love that shot!
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Please stop posting to this thread.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:56 PM
johneecatt
Pro

hp loss is a cubed function of drag at speed and downforce is linearto speed and angle of attack. if that wing makes ZERO df if is costing you roughly 40 hp in drag at 100 mph ( and you were stupid to put it on ) and if you put any angle of attack in and make any downforce with it, that will get much much worse. and if you hung that on the back and got no understeer then your mechanical chassis balance was so bad before its hardly worth discussing. this is the kind of vopodoo nonsense and mythology that these track cars promote. suddenly the laws of physics don't apply and all the VERY basic set up considerations that anyone that has a clue what they are doing are out the window. I will say with simple authority that if you bolted that thing on your car and it neither went slower in a straight line by a significant amount and didn't start to understeer like a pig at speed then you are the slowest and least sensitive individual to ever sit behind a steering wheel.
Won the championship, smartass - what did you win?!?! Go away, loser!!
Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

" you are the slowest and least sensitive individual to ever sit behind a steering wheel."

Sheesh that's harsh. I get it you're not a fan of the big wing but that's no excuse to go insulting the guy like that.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Damn. After some research I think I found a critical flaw in this plan.

The 3rd brake light panel on the C4S appears to be welded to the engine bay panels. I don't see a clear way to remove it without extensive work. Its also raised somewhat whereas on the Turbos its one smooth piece as the Turbo 3rd brake light is on the wing/tail itself. Something you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for it.

Rats. Would look really strange having two 3rd brake lights, one on the panel and one on the wing.

No go.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:53 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to get one and replace the taco tail, but that is a hefty expense!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:45 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by vandersmith
I came across this and cannot seem to not want to get my hands on one. Necessary? Absolutely not. Awesome? Definitely.
There are only four providers that I can identify, CariD, Getty (more of a cup wing), Wicked Motors, and DirectCarToys.

$3-4k seems absolutely insane to me but I guess thats the going rate.
A PCA acquaintance here in Orlando spent $6000, all in, for a Techart wing on an Orange 991.2 It does look great, better than expected after seeding only pictures.

It's hard to think of a wing on a Porsche that I didn't love.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:20 PM
scarittagle
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

----Wrong Reply---- Deleted----

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3RS Style Wing Anyone?