Strange substance on spoiler lid

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
PPF= paint protection film.
Hmmm. I don't believe it does, it is just the stock spoiler ribs.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

Commercial soap/cleaner/wax residue? Do you use drive thru type car washes?
Old 01-13-2017, 11:07 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Commercial soap/cleaner/wax residue? Do you use drive thru type car washes?
Nope. Nothing but hand washing.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

3 page thread about spoiler spooge. Awesome!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:49 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

How long has the cover been off? It could be moisture that was trapped and got under the clear coat. If that is the case sitting in the sun could drive it out after a while. Or hair dryer? If you try external heat remember it is not how hot you get it but how long you keep it warm. 80 - 90 degrees max.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243930

Problem solved! I talked to a local detailer who suggested I use a combination of isopropyl alcohol and a heat gun to remove the moisture under the clearcoat. I liberally wet a small section of the affected area at a time and carefully applied heat. Within minutes the clearcoat clouding disappeared.

My new car has a problem with what another forum is calling moisture under the clearcoat. The color is a metalic blue and you can see a milky, white shadow in areas of the car. You need to look hard & it doesn`t show too easy, like a faint stain.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-de...clearcoat.html

The car comes from Australia & from what I`ve read, transporting a vehicle in summer from one area to winter in another are over an extended period of time while covered in rapgard can cause this. The moisture gets trapped under the plastic and is forced into the paint.

The suggestions range from using a heat gun, or hair dryer, baking the car in a spraybooth to waiting for the heat and sun of summer to cook it out.

I`m posting this here as I read this forum regularly and trust the participants. The other forum is mostly gearheads & while very MV savy, are not exterior pros.

Does anyone here have any experience with this and what can I do to remedy it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed
Old 01-14-2017, 12:48 AM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
3 page thread about spoiler spooge. Awesome!
We're all pretty hard up for some entertainment around here I suppose.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:52 AM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fpb111
How long has the cover been off? It could be moisture that was trapped and got under the clear coat. If that is the case sitting in the sun could drive it out after a while. Or hair dryer? If you try external heat remember it is not how hot you get it but how long you keep it warm. 80 - 90 degrees max. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243930 Problem solved! I talked to a local detailer who suggested I use a combination of isopropyl alcohol and a heat gun to remove the moisture under the clearcoat. I liberally wet a small section of the affected area at a time and carefully applied heat. Within minutes the clearcoat clouding disappeared. My new car has a problem with what another forum is calling moisture under the clearcoat. The color is a metalic blue and you can see a milky, white shadow in areas of the car. You need to look hard & it doesn`t show too easy, like a faint stain. http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-de...clearcoat.html The car comes from Australia & from what I`ve read, transporting a vehicle in summer from one area to winter in another are over an extended period of time while covered in rapgard can cause this. The moisture gets trapped under the plastic and is forced into the paint. The suggestions range from using a heat gun, or hair dryer, baking the car in a spraybooth to waiting for the heat and sun of summer to cook it out. I`m posting this here as I read this forum regularly and trust the participants. The other forum is mostly gearheads & while very MV savy, are not exterior pros. Does anyone here have any experience with this and what can I do to remedy it? Thanks for any suggestions. Ed
I mean, this sounds like it was on the body paint, whereas mine is just on the plastic of the spoiler. But thanks for the input, you never know with these cars sometimes, right?
Old 01-14-2017, 01:17 AM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two things stain paint on my cars in the past. One is when some kids egged the passenger's door and I took too long to wash it off .... and the other time it was bird ****. Get it off quick. Then there was the time a guy shook up a can of coke and sprayed the interior of my open jeep, but that came off pretty easy after a sticky ride home. People are so nice.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:46 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy
I've had two things stain paint on my cars in the past. One is when some kids egged the passenger's door and I took too long to wash it off .... and the other time it was bird ****. Get it off quick. Then there was the time a guy shook up a can of coke and sprayed the interior of my open jeep, but that came off pretty easy after a sticky ride home. People are so nice.
Yea, some people just really suck. Remember this one in the news? Poor new owner of the Corvette got an early morning present. Apparently some twisted fool thought it would be a nice "how-dare-you-own-a-nice-sports-car" statement and poured liquid paint stripper all over this car. $30,000 worth of damage.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/article...andalized-car/

Quick Reply: Strange substance on spoiler lid