Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buy a roller 912, and hot rod it wth a 911 engine
Old 01-06-2017, 01:38 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Secular996
All fair points haha. It was more of me working my way through what I think would be best for me through what I'm seeing in the comments and other forums. Getting a more realistic view of the m96 platform and budgeting And thinking that has made me flop a few times but all is decided now.

And any mods I get will be after the car is sorted lol. I believe I said at least 15k.. When I started researching billet blocks and forged internals.. Not a whole lot of options came up and flat6innovations quoted me 30k. So I started trying to source parts individually and it just came out to well over 15k.
Ive said this before, but make sure you check insurance premiums on any car first! At 24 I bought a brand new M3, and it turns out my premiums were insanely high. Big mistake on my part.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:47 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
OP, I know at 24 you are excited about porsche ownership, but holy crap you need to slow down. You've literally decided on each of your three choices once, if not twice, over the course of this thread.

First...you claim you'll be happy with 320hp, but literally every other post you talk about power and speed. Based upon your previous choice of vehicles and your attitude, it is perfectly clear that a naturally aspirated 996 won't get it done. You can try to convince yourself otherwise, and then you'll be disappointed.

$15k engine rebuild...don't think so. To do a proper rebuild with nickies, decent performance and reliability upgrades, you are into the $20k+ range pretty easily.

$40k budget. You are talking about buying a high mile 6TT for $30k and then doing wheels, full suspension, fister, etc. Pretty much any high mile 911, much less a turbo, regardless of how well it was kept, will likely need $3k to $5k of work. Porsche parts make MB parts look cheap.

Your first order of business is to get the car in decent shape and if you bottom feed on a high miler, that will likely cost more than you think.

I think you need to slow way the hell down, think about what you really want out of the car and the experience, consider how much repair costs might be, and then drive a few of the cars you are considering. You may realize that no 996 is for you.

good luck.

To that point: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ws&date=010617
Old 01-06-2017, 05:35 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't consider an m96 powered 911 as my only car. A turbo? Sure, but the higher mileage you go the closer you are to a rebuild. Love my 996 for the light steering feel, agility in the corners, induction sounds in higher rpms, etc. The first time I drove a 911 after driving a base model Cayman, my happy driving senses went on overload. The close ratio gearing between 3-4-5-6 gears is truly intoxicating to row through at speed. BUT, I've always been the opposite of a '400whp or bust' type.

Have you driven a water cooled 911 yet? NA or turbo? Driving them > asking strangers which you'll like better...

On the only car subject, I drive a Honda when it's below freezing or the roads are nasty (~18 of the last 20 work days, for example). There's currently another wave of guys with scored cylinders popping up in the areas that get colder temps - I don't want to join that club. Make sure you spend more time learning about car maintenance and operation than modding potential.

suggestion 1: buy a turbo and be done with it

suggestion 2: buy an NA 996 and a reliable winter beater you can fall back on should the motor give up the ghost

suggestion 3: Put a TT kit and a proper internal rebuild on your G35 if you want cheap, reliable 400whp. Getting that kind of power out of a Porsche is not cheap, whichever way you go there will be substantial risk.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:37 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Secular996
Noooooo I didnt see that...definitely not with the tip.
If you drove a 996tt with a Tip, you might change your opinion. Also, a 996tt with a Tip is probably the best bang for the buck in the 996 world. A vastly different experience from a NA 996 Tip.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
If you drove a 996tt with a Tip, you might change your opinion. Also, a 996tt with a Tip is probably the best bang for the buck in the 996 world. A vastly different experience from a NA 996 Tip.
What type of hand controls have you put in your 996 ? any chance for a pic and some details ? I am toying with the idea for my 996 Carrera...

Quick Reply: Deciding which to buy...