Sponsored by:

1998 C2 purchase....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 11:43 AM
exthree
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Volkert
Some interior pics after detailing the leather. BTW, earlier comment by @Rolex11 was that this is not a full leather interior. I have my doubts on that, there is an awful lot of leather in this car. Read somewhere else if you have double stitching on the arc above the instrument panel, it is full leather. Well this one has that too. Anyway, for you guys to judge, I don't have enough references.

Need to vacuum that carpet, sir!

/exthree
Old 10-14-2017, 12:38 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Not full leather ! Stereo horseshoe surround and side vents look like soft touch paint. Also, I read further up where the option readout said the rear seats aren't leather... Full leather means just that - everything is covered in leather. In any case, it's still a pretty car and the interior looks like it's in great shape! Now vacuum those mats!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL! Yes Sir!! Done that! She is clean now!

Leather, it might be it was different on the very first ones. Had a look today at a 2002 targa without additional leather and it definitely looked quite different! So I get it if people are not over-enthousiastic about the basic interior.
With this one I am happy as she is.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Volkert
Racer

Car going into storage now so I got some work done.
Slow starting when hot has been resolved by replacing the cable. Starter motor was still OK.
Replaced engine mounts, replaced oil pump axis, dropped oil pan to inspect for any debri. The oil pan was really clean, this after 140k kms and 20 years!
Replacing shocks to Koni FSD which turned out to be a problem in combination with M030 ROW. The shock plunger is 15 mm longer then stock, as a result the front spring comes loose when unloaded. In the end decided to upgrade all springs to Eibach which have a bit more dynamic range. It should also drop the car another 10mm or so which I don’t mind.

It is going to be quite a new car once I pick her up again in spring!

All in all I had quite a lot of work done on a car that in principle was in good shape. I still think it was the right thing to do and should give me happy ownership in the years to come.

AOS/IMS/RMS/clutch, new Michelin PS2 around, passenger window mechanism (was broken), waterpump with LTT, motormounts + transmission mount, full maintenance + all fluids, oil pump axis & pickup, drop oil pan for inspection, new shocks/springs + associated stuff where required.
Attached Images       
Old 10-27-2017, 12:05 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 212 Likes on 136 Posts

Look great.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:44 PM
SeaBass8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, was it a dual row bearing that came out? I didn't see that you specified either way. I have a '99 C2 and suspect it has dual row but really no idea and no idea if it's been done.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:09 AM
Volkert
Racer

Yes, dual row. I understood dual row ran until mid 2000.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:29 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Some nice upgrades over there Volkert!
Curious to see your car maybe once and do some comparison. Never drove such an early 996.

Did you do an oil change on the transmission too? Maybe also a thing te consider after all those years. Especially considering you have the factory M220 LSD.

Quick Reply: 1998 C2 purchase....