996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

stock stereo = terrible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 09:00 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

I find it adequate, I have the CDR-23 not a huge fan by any means but its there and it works. Planning to add a dension and leave it at that.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you add a sub woofer to the PCm1 set up (Double din with phone Amp and navigation set) I understood Porsche supplied a sub that went in the footwell but was this for the later models (as it was a bose unit) Thanks O_Sr
Old 02-05-2017, 04:24 PM
zak996
Instructor

You can add an aftermarket powered subwoofer fairly easily. I added an 8" tube subwoofer it fits right behind the back seats. It can be removed really easily and it sounds good, but it's not hidden or integrated in any way. Theres a kick panel option but you need to power it with an amp and it needs to be wired to your head unit Im not sure if the stock PCM has extra sub outputs.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Originally Posted by zak996
Im not sure if the stock PCM has extra sub outputs.
Thanks for the reply - That was the bit I was wondering I will have to take it out and check
Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Actually, for a sports car, not sure why anyone cares about the stereo. Generally, speaking I tend to modify the exhaust in all of my cars so that I can hear the sound of the car better but I always stick with stock stereo.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:31 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I guess I'm one of the apologist because I've always liked Bose technology; however, I didn't have the Bose setup in my 996. My stock system was the "hifi" option which meant it was a 10 speaker/6-channel (with door subs) and... bom bom buuuuum... MOST based.... and that's where the problems began.

And yep, the door subs are HAES 2 ohm, but produce an amazing bass sound from just 5.24 bass speakers. You can push them hard like larger speakers, but if you keep it EQ'd right, they add the low end that makes the music come alive. Just my 2 cents worth.

I echo Lowpue's comment, I find myself turning the radio off and enjoying the natural sound of the Porsche sports exhaust. AWESOME!
Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
I echo Lowpue's comment, I find myself turning the radio off and enjoying the natural sound of the Porsche sports exhaust. AWESOME!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

Might want to do a little research on Bose technology. Marketing is what they are known for not new tech .
AVS forum would be a good place to start learning about Bose or a search on the web for Bose speaker quality would be informative also .
Old 02-06-2017, 11:09 AM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i agree that listening to the engine is more fun than the stereo but driving to / from work in traffic the stereo comes in handy

after changing the head unit it sounds better but still bad
Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a modern Sony head unit in my car and am not thrilled with the low-end performance from the front door panel speakers.

Wondering if anyone has used these? How much room for speaker depth is there in the enclosure? These say 2.63' deep...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDT-Audio-CL...IAAOxy4t1SiBQw
Old 02-06-2017, 12:09 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Alansglide
Might want to do a little research on Bose technology. Marketing is what they are known for not new tech .
AVS forum would be a good place to start learning about Bose or a search on the web for Bose speaker quality would be informative also .
Alan,

I would say that Dr. Amar Bose and his company has contributed more to the audio industry in R&D than most and would say that he was as much an innovator than maybe even Dolby. IMHO.

He has quite a history in electronic/acoustical engineering and research at MIT.

And, his company that he founded has hundreds of patents that were implemented into his products.

Check it out.

http://products.bose.com/static/patents/index.html

And yes, Bose puts a lot of money into marketing, but who wouldn't if you want to be a successful company?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:18 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

I have never heard a great Bose stereo in a car, they have created lots of things no doubt and they are innovative but for what you get its over priced I think and there are lots of other systems that are cheaper / sound better.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:20 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
i agree that listening to the engine is more fun than the stereo but driving to / from work in traffic the stereo comes in handy

after changing the head unit it sounds better but still bad
Did you get the larger Kicker shallow-mount subwoofer from your original post into the stock housing? If so, any mods necessary and did it make any difference at all?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:23 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaetee
Did you get the larger Kicker shallow-mount subwoofer from your original post into the stock housing? If so, any mods necessary and did it make any difference at all?
I have not tried yet
Old 02-06-2017, 12:39 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are many different systems, so not sure what is meant by "stock". My 2003 came with CDR23 and Bose speakers. I recently ditched the head unit, power amp and MOST connection harness, to Alpine. In my opinion, the weak link was the head unit and power amp, and it wasn't close, based on my ears. The Becker unit had ghosts in it, poor EQ capabilities, and dated functionality. I decided to give the Bose speakers six months with some nice clean, properly EQ'd signal (I disconnected the rear side speakers).

I am very pleased with the results. For my tastes, no further upgrades are warranted.

Quick Reply: stock stereo = terrible?