996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Am I being too cheap on this car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:05 AM
thebutterson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Am I being too cheap on this car?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/5919315268.html

The car is a 99 with 54k on it and no history of all the big 996 stuff- clutch, aos, water pump, thermostat, alternator. It has two accidents in its history on carfax. One says ran off road and hit a tree, other says hit a fence in rear. The car also has a ticking at idle and had a loud rattle on cold start this morning. Oil pressure was just over 1 bar at idle and when driving was about 1 bar above each thousand rpm. Apparently it was checked out by Larson Porsche and reported to be good but I'm not sure they really paid much attention or were alerted to the noise. I made a call to Chris' German and was advised to budget 6k to get alll the preventative maintenance, clutch, and ims bearing (I know it's a dual row and is debatable) done. I found some paint flaws including a crack in the paint under the engine deck lid that looked like it had some rust behind it. Also, bad seal on oil neck?

I love the red leather interior and M014 sports package. The body mods are ok, and maybe the result of the accidents. But the car has poor history. I thought 17k would be a good deal based on what I'll probably have to put into it and the fact that it'll always have the accident history. The dealership refused to go below 20k. They already sold it once but "the finance fell through".

Am I being too cheap? What's a fair price?
Old 12-15-2016, 02:12 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the last couple of experiences I have had, knowing the actual history of the car is super important to me. Just my $0.02.

if you see anything in the Vegas area you need a rennfax done on let me know!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:23 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

A shop said that was okay? Holy **** hahahaha

That car has a cracked cylinder. Just from the oil filler cap you can see the intermix. That car will be a roller very soon.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:29 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Well, that is a unique car. First off, pretty much everybody is going to tell you to "run don't walk away" from it due to the accidents. For me, assuming the repairs were done properly, they just give you leverage to negotiate.
Normally, I don't care for that interior color, but in this car it looks great, I think because the black parts break up the red.
The body mods are clearly aftermarket, but they work. If you are a purist, then you aren't even going to consider this car. But 911s have long been a car that people customize. When I bought my current car, I was very close to buying a different car that had some light custom bodywork and a color change to a BMW color. But, it looked great and I still think about it - if it was back on the market now, I'd probably buy it as the price was really good due to the mods.
I think the right price for this car, given the accident history but low mileage, is around $18,000.
If you like it, then go for it. If you pass on it now, it will probably still be there in a month.

Edit: Oil filler neck appearance is normal for a low mileage car as it indicates short trips where the car doesn't have the chance to warm up fully. And on a '99, I would leave the IMS bearing alone. Does it need a clutch now? If not, no need to spend $6k on maintenance now because something "might" break.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:37 AM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Accidents don't necessarily scare me, original IMS on a 99 is actually a positive in my book, but that oil filler neck and rust at the hood scares me more than anything.

There are better 99s out there.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bad example to me
Old 12-15-2016, 02:51 AM
911Tobbe
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Run Forrest run! If the body work is so poorly done on a place so easily seen like that, imagine how it will look on the places you can´t see... And with an engine that most likely needs a ton of work, 20k for this is 10k too much I would say.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Until you dig in, the car shows well, so they figure they can get what they want. I wouldn't be scared of the oil filler neck as that is pretty common, but the accident damage at the engine lid corner WILL get worse unless properly addressed.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rusty cracks are scary
Old 12-15-2016, 10:57 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

That car is optioned very similar to my car. However, the clicking at idle and the rattle on cold start scare the bejezus out of me. Unless you can get a warrantee on the engine, I would pass. Many of the things that cause ticking and rattle in this engine wind up costing $$$$$$$$$ to resolve. This car would be near roller price for me to pick up, and plan an engine strategy on purchase.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:13 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree that the oil filler is more likely a sign of short trips that don't let it warm up than intermix.

Just on the shoddy repair work in the frunk, my advise is to walk away. There was obviously significant damage when it hit the tree and that picture shows that it was not repaired remotely correct. Who knows what other short cuts were done or things that were missed.

As far as the motor goes, I agree with the others that have said that you could be seeing indicators of some serious problems. If everything else was perfect on the car I'd say getting a good PPI including scoping the top and bottom of the cylinders would let you know the full pictures. With the bodywork issues, it's just not worth it.

This car is a junker that is going to make someone a very horrible ownership experience I think
Old 12-15-2016, 11:20 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to start your Porsche ownership with worry/fear/paranoia/grief/stress/headache, etc..... then this car might be for you
Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,050 Posts

1. 2 accidents on Carfax = bad
2. Substandard body repair and paint = bad
3. Engine rattle/ticking at idle = bad bad
4. Nice light brown milkshake in the oil filler - bad bad bad
5. Dealer will NOT take less than $20K given the carfax and engine issues. what??!!! BAD BAD BAD... SUPER DUPER BAD!

Delete the images from your mind, wash you hands and feet of this place, go home and take a cold shower, sit indian style on the floor and hum good pleasant pure thoughts, order a nice pizza and watch "Gone in 60 seconds" or Grand Tour on Amazon Prime, but whatever you do, don't convince yourself that this is the car. There a many '99 model 996 examples out there for crazy prices in the $15K to $20K range. Just because it's a low miles '99 Porsche 996 does NOT mean it will be a reliable, problem free car. In fact, it might actually be more of a risk given the history along with the low usage. You've been warned!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:15 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Why don't you buy my red/tan 99 model AeroSport for $20k? Lots better than the POS you're looking at. I deliver too.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:17 PM
dciraolo
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go. 1999 and silver on red:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...902622942.html

Maybe you'll have better luck with this one.

Quick Reply: Am I being too cheap on this car?