996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New 996 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice intro with a feel good story of family and Porsche car ownership. Great looking C2!
Old 12-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Blrmkr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran
Haha yes! Well once upon a time we were a BMW family and my mom painted that on the wall. I suppose given enough time BMWs grow up to be Porsches?
Agreed, and it takes a lot of growing up. Great story! Now that's the way to get to know your new 911!
Old 12-10-2016, 11:24 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Post moar pics of that ducktail, it seems to have a slimmer profile than others I've seen.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks everyone for the responses! The Asheville area is truly awesome, it was my second time out there and I absolutely love it. The views, the roads, and the food are all amazing! As far as the lifted truck goofiness we certainly weren't being obnoxious or trying to tick off any locals. It was a handful of trucks that over the course of a few days would try and ride our rear ends or pass us and then slam on their brakes for no reason. Maybe they saw our Wisconsin plates and really dislike the Packers! It seemed weird to me because in the hilly country area outside of Milwaukee I've gotten a lot of thumbs ups from the local lifted truck guys. And as far as my brother and his gf were concerned when they got separated from us and found themselves on some very remote roads with no cell they definitely felt threaten when they were followed for almost an hour, even when making several random turns through a small town, the truck stayed behind them, flying up on their rear bumper and then backing off. Until, according to my brother, he opened up the taps and flew out of town at a rate the other guy couldn't match. I wasn't there so I don't know, but I can say most locals were super nice and would come talk to us at gas stations or car washes and want to take pictures of the cars. But on some of those back country roads it certainly could be kind of sketchy the way some of those lifted truck boys tried to mess with us lol

My plans are to move back to California hopefully sometime soon, but I really hope to be able to take another three Porsche family road trip there again at some point.
Sweet roadtrip! As an outspoken fan of long road trips, the 996 surely is a fantastic grand tourer to do long distances with, even with sport suspsension.

As for the despicable behavior of bro-dozer truck nuts:
Sadly, bullying has been legitimized these days. I won't get better for a while. Stay alert out there.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:40 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Post moar pics of that ducktail, it seems to have a slimmer profile than others I've seen.
Here are a few!
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2016, 05:21 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Nice looking stable mates!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:14 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Elumere
Sweet roadtrip! As an outspoken fan of long road trips, the 996 surely is a fantastic grand tourer to do long distances with, even with sport suspsension.

As for the despicable behavior of bro-dozer truck nuts:
Sadly, bullying has been legitimized these days. I won't get better for a while. Stay alert out there.
Yes sadly I experienced it a little bit even when driving around the country and mountains when I lived in San Diego, which surprised me, of course the confederate flags on trucks also surprised me. For someone from the midwest that moved to Socal that was something I never expected, since most media depictions of the area are either gangsters in Compton or beach bums or the spoiled kids of the OC haha

Even my Boxster was pretty great for long road trips, having driven it across the country twice, and putting almost twenty thousand miles on it my first year in California, I am quite the fan of grand touring. Hopefully after Christmas I'll be making my way back to the warm weather and beaches of Socal!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes sadly I experienced it a little bit even when driving around the country and mountains when I lived in San Diego, which surprised me, of course the confederate flags on trucks also surprised me. For someone from the midwest that moved to Socal that was something I never expected, since most media depictions of the area are either gangsters in Compton or beach bums or the spoiled kids of the OC haha

Even my Boxster was pretty great for long road trips, having driven it across the country twice, and putting almost twenty thousand miles on it my first year in California, I am quite the fan of grand touring. Hopefully after Christmas I'll be making my way back to the warm weather and beaches of Socal!
hit me up once you're back. I do a fair amount of canyon cruising even during the week.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 AM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vizsla_22
Nice car. Love the garage pic!
Agreed!

Enjoy your new 996!

Mike

Quick Reply: New 996 owner