Sponsored by:

Winter storage.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:15 AM
jb1007
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Winter storage.

Don't want to be labor this thread, but I have a vette and my 03 C4s. The vette is asleep til March. I overinflate the tires, do gas stabilizer, battery tend and she is under cover. I plan on driving the 996 as long as no salt and crap on road to keep her alive this winter. If I put it under cover anything special or different with these P cars for storage for couple of months?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Treat the 996 as you do the Vette. All maintenance up-to-date. Fresh oil. Susupend some of your insurance coverage and save $$$. Secure keys.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Take steps to prevent any chance of mice damage.

I don't know how well putting stuff in the car works. I prefer keeping the critters out of the car period. What I was told was the best was to be sure where the car is stored is free of boxes and stuff on the floor. Plug any holes through the drywall -- say around any pipes that come in through the wall to a water heater or furnace -- with steel wool.

If you can -- no small kids or pets -- put down mice traps along where the floor and walls meet. Bait with a tiny smear of peanut butter.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:42 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

+1 on vermin control. I use Macster's suggestions but place moth b--ls in netting in the frunk over the wiring area and in the engine compartment as a stop guard on the little creeps. Also heard cayenne pepper is a deterrent. As info just changed the starter on my old 93 300zx that has sat outside more than driven since the P-car purchase. Once the starter cover was removed a whole mouse nest was apparent! Yuk! No wiring damage found but the little buggers were eating the undercoating off the frame! I neglected protecting this car, but no longer! Traps and moth product this winter!
Old 12-09-2016, 03:50 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I was thinking to surround the car in mouse traps for rodent protection.

The sticky traps are kind of cruel compared to the back breaker old school approach.

There are just enough 40 degree days around here that I can keep mine running during winter with weekly checkups. put in fresh oil last night and planning to drive it this weekend

Quick Reply: Winter storage.