Sponsored by:

Seat belt wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:39 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seat belt wiring

As per my latest post, I am replacing my worn 8 way seats with manual seats with heating. At this point, I just want to get them installed with the proper seat belt hookups to avoid the dreaded airbag light as I had left the windows open a bit to avoid wear as battery is out of the car. It's driving me crazy to leave it like that any longer in my unheated garage.
So, I have searched and have found the correct wires from the belt recepticle to the plug on the seats, and can match them to the socket in the car, but have no idea how to connect them without destroying the socket. Ideas?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:51 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

Pics would be handy?

My understanding is that the belt receiver plugs into the car and is bolted to the seat. Maybe you need a older or newer version of the receiver if the plugs dont match? If you cant go down that path i'd sacrifice the seat plug to keep the car plug intact.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

That would be true, the seats have plugs built in, the problem is I am trying to match a very simple seat with one option (seat heaters,which the car did not come with) with a car that is came with 8 way memory seats. I have found that the wires for the two seat belts are brown and brown/red and brown and brown/blue. I think I may just splice into the harness in the car to match these and be done with it, unless someone has a better idea.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:12 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

It shouldn't be required. The harness that the seat belt recept plugs into will accept the seat belt plug only. It's pretty easy and I've done it multiple times swapping race seats in and out. Take a look and let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Slakker,I assume you mean the blue 4 prong number mounted in the seat plug? How does that detach from the rest of the harness?
Old 12-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

The side of the harness that the receptacle plugs into has a small little end cap on it. You slide the end cap up and it comes all the way off. Then the receptacle plug, along with a blank plug that is mated to it on mine, slides right out. If you still have issues, I'm pretty sure I have some pictures somewhere that I can dig out.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:21 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

This link has some pictures of the harness.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-airbag-light/
Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much, Slakker and vitaminC. I will get out there tomorrow, before the weather gets too nasty, and get this done. It's funny, I have no problem doing things like brakes, shocks, mounts and the like, but electrics just scare me.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Ok back again, the replacement seats included the harness and plug from the donor car. I have found the black end cap and slid it off per Slakker, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to get the recepticles out. Do they slide out the end? They won't budge that way.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Once more, with feeling..... Was able to remove the recepticles by pulling the blue clip off the side of the assembly. I was not going to rest until I got the sucker. Thanks once again.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Just found the picture. Did you end up having to unplug the blue plug from the other harness first or was that already done and you just had to "really want it"?

Name:  photo906.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  746.8 KB
Old 12-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

I was experimenting on the harness plug (the one from the car harness) and found that in order to remove the paired sockets not only does the small black cap have to be removed, but also the blue clip pictured above (great pic BTW) So it looks like you did the same with the seat harness, and just plugged the belt wires into the car harness. I will do the same, many thanks.

Quick Reply: Seat belt wiring