Sponsored by:

RWD or AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:05 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Hey Gobs, they do that because of the driving characteristics (e.g. oversteer) that can be achieved with RWD Porsches. I wouldn't recommend screwing with the AWD Turbos like that, but if you know what you're doing, it can totally change the dynamics of the car (in a good way).
b3: Why would someone want more oversteer? Having driven race cars(although sprint cars on dirt) oversteer is just plain scary!
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
b3: Why would someone want more oversteer? Having driven race cars(although sprint cars on dirt) oversteer is just plain scary!
Because life on the edge is wild Billy. You should know that!

The same people that love crazy oversteer are the same ones that remove traction control and any other car nannies.

Cheers!

Old 12-06-2016, 04:37 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Yeah it can be fun until it changes to snappy loose! Then your looking to buy a new rear wheel at the minimum! I'll live with the front wheels helping me go in the right direction. Besides I enjoy telling non-Porsche people "it's AWD" just to watch the look of total confusion flush over their face! Besides don't the fancy WSC type cars have AWD?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:47 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Why would someone want more oversteer?
Are you f**king nuts. Oversteer is better than cash money. I live for oversteer. Never too much.

Tell you what. Pack the entire family in a front wheel drive minivan; wife, parents, grandparents, nieces, aunts and their pets. Drive to a wide open slab of asphalt. Cinch your seat belt. Rotate the steering wheel all the way to one stop or the other. Shift into reverse. Floor it. Don't lift. Keep the wheel on the stop. Don't lift at all. Stay on it for 5 minutes. Now ask your family if that was fun. I've done it so I know they will all love it, even your Aunt with the boob job. That is a bit like oversteer. Now go oversteer and don't stop.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoke, I just noticed something unique on your car. No, I'm not talking about those aftermarket wheel you don't like, but it appears you not only have Aero Side Skirt (duh! right?), but also the aero front bumper. I'm I right?
Yes, it matches the side skirts.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:16 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
Yes, it matches the side skirts.
Well, that's a BIG + for selling the car because the Aero front bumper by itself is crazy expensive... $1500 - $2000 unpainted.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

ditto: I understand, however, most of us don't drive around only in wide open asphalt areas. In reality there are normally unforgiving things near the road or track that will suddenly stop someone who has over-estimated their driving ability as well as the adhesion of their tires/car. Snappy loose is real and very unpleasant! Trust me!
Old 12-06-2016, 06:30 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My C2 is far from snappy loose. Gun it entering a highway ramp and the back end will slide out but nothing that one hand on the wheel can't calmly correct.

I know what snappy loose is. Go past the limit on my MR2 and when it starts to slide its both hands and full attention.

Anyway, I will put up a stiff fight about RWD 996's being too loose, even if they began as AWD.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Ok! I wish you many good times!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that's a BIG + for selling the car because the Aero front bumper by itself is crazy expensive... $1500 - $2000 unpainted.
I guess I'll raise my price then!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

There is a reason all of the GT3, Cup cars and SP996s are rear wheel drive. They just flat out handle better and are more predictable at speed. The reason the turbo is a 4x4 (snicker) is because it belongs on a drag strip or at a stop light next to a corvette. The AWD allows it lay down huge amounts of power to hit those insane sub 3s times. Two different features for two different purposes.

The 911 used to be known as the "Dr. Killer" because of the snap oversteer. But Porsche corrected that and made them much more predictable. A stock setup, even on a C2, has inherent understeer that you have dial out if you want to turn faster. The C4 is like training wheels, but in a good. With C4 and PSM (traction control), you don't have to have professional training to push the limit a little and have fun. The car will help you along.

Now I would also argue that the new GT3, Viper, C7 Vette etc have taken this to a point of ridiculousness where novice drivers can lay down track times that previously required a seasoned professional. In order to accomplish this, the car puts many levels of computer assist between you and the road. To me, the entire experience becomes very bland. But I think I digressed again. Dammit.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Slak: I just read the article from PCA or wherever concerning the way the new Porsche "nanny" systems work for someone racing cones with little to no experience. Made me throw up in my mouth a little! The snappy loose condition was not necessary directed towards C2's, just cars in general. Heck I owned a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger in my past that should have had the D.K. title as well. All that V-8 weight in the front firmly planted the front tires under any turning conditions! You never knew when you would be looking in the direction you just came from. BTW KCA and the turbo guys are not going to be happy with your comments above!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:33 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oversteer, very good.

Quick Reply: RWD or AWD