996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

RWD or AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

If you have PASM, turn it off and put it in first gear and slam the gas pedal. Have someone else stand outside and see if the rear wheels spin or you hook quickly. Cheap, effective, and fun.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:47 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Hawk, I'm afraid everyone is right. You have a RWD "C2" car, not the AWD C4. I'd contact the seller.
Like the picture from VitaminC, the C4 cars have the characteristic "Hump in the Frunk" and lack the spare tire mount.

Here's a picture of my Cabriolet which of course is a RWD.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
FYI, this is what the frunk looks like in a C4:
Yours isn't a C4 is it?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:05 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

VIN DECODED ON HAWK'S CAR...

Old 12-04-2016, 11:24 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Ah... I see the ad for the car that's still online. (attached below) They really mislead you Hawk, but you still got a wonderful car. Personally, I would rather have the RWD version, but that's just my preference.

What are your next steps? Move on and chalk it up as experience or address it to the dealership?

Old 12-04-2016, 11:48 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, RWD is what I own. Thank you for all the help, you guys are great! Now to see what the dealership has to say tomorrow. To be honest, I am just fine with the RWD (it got almost 26mpg on my drive from CA) but I am just irritated at the misrepresentation.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Yours isn't a C4 is it?
Nope! Found that pic on a different thread.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Nope! Found that pic on a different thread.
Lol. Just checking.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Good luck with the dealer.

FWIW, I think the 2WD is the better option.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:33 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
Yeah, RWD is what I own. Thank you for all the help, you guys are great! Now to see what the dealership has to say tomorrow. To be honest, I am just fine with the RWD (it got almost 26mpg on my drive from CA) but I am just irritated at the misrepresentation.
I would look at this as a very good opportunity to make sure the dealership makes you whole on the IMS. They mis-represented the car as being AWD when it was RWD! I don't know the laws in NV, but I have a hard time believing they are not legally obligated to buy the car back if you insist. They committed fraud.

All that said, since you like the car, make sure they fix the IMS at their expense.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:11 AM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbug
I would look at this as a very good opportunity to make sure the dealership makes you whole on the IMS. They mis-represented the car as being AWD when it was RWD! I don't know the laws in NV, but I have a hard time believing they are not legally obligated to buy the car back if you insist. They committed fraud.

All that said, since you like the car, make sure they fix the IMS at their expense.
i asked them specifically about it before I bought it and they said they had checked and it had been done prior to them getting the car. He said it was quite labor intensive, drop the engine maybe? Anyway, is there a specific way I can check that myself, or should I take it somewhere here local to check it out?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:18 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If it was my car I would want to know. Ask the dealer to provide the invoice. You would have to split the engine from the transmission to check if it has been replaced. That's a big labour charge. If you are going there you may as well be prepared to do a bearing replacement.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:24 AM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i asked them specifically about it before I bought it and they said they had checked and it had been done prior to them getting the car. He said it was quite labor intensive, drop the engine maybe? Anyway, is there a specific way I can check that myself, or should I take it somewhere here local to check it out?
If they can't provide you with paperwork proving that it has the IMSB upgrade done, it's safe to assume it has not been done. Which of course, they mis-represented as well.

Either get the dealer to give you legit paperwork proving the IMS bearing has been replaced, or he is on the hook for paying to have it done. You have screenshots proving that he sold you the car as a C4 with AWD, and with IMS done.

Maybe its just a personal thing with me, but no way in hell should this dealer be let off the hook for a fraudulent sale.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:53 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Here's the deal Hawk, you have to decide if you want to take the hard road or easy road. Part of the bad reputation of dealers is their "it's not our fault" once the deal is done and you've driven off the lot. However, this is a clear case of misrepresentation or false advertisement. They may say it's a simple typo or computer error, but the burden is on them to list and sell the car correctly. However, I'm not sure you want to go down the road of fraud because you have to prove intent, but the dealership should compensate you in some form or another. If I'm not mistaken, it's my understanding that the C4 was more money than the RWD version. Therefore, this is kind of like trying to sell a C4 as a C4S.

I just recently looked at what was listed as a "Mustang GT" (which we all know comes with a 305 V8), but once I examined the engine, I noticed it was a V6, not the V8; therefore, definitely a mistake. It's also not completely uncommon for sellers to make a car look like the higher end version. No telling how many times I've seen a 996 Carrera badged up to be a Carrera "S". Porsche didn't make a 996 Carrera S. Only the C4S. But I just noticed another one list this weekend in Atlanta.

Here's the listing: (notice the rear logo)

Old 12-05-2016, 06:28 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
No telling how many times I've seen a 996 Carrera badged up to be a Carrera "S". Porsche didn't make a 996 Carrera S. Only the C4S. But I just noticed another one list this weekend in Atlanta.
The most annoying thing about the "S" mod is that they always just tack it on to the Carrera logo which makes the badging off-center. I can't believe people do that to these cars.

Quick Reply: RWD or AWD