Sponsored by:

912 owner considering a 996, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:28 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee
Good points. This sounds like a good topic for a new thread altogether... why don't you start a new one with an appropriate title (will get much more appropriate responses that way) rather than divert this thread in another direction... just a suggestion.
agreed and done; was just in the process of editing
Old 11-29-2016, 01:09 PM
brwilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Looks great! That's the stance my car needs...

Seems to have some mods- anything beyond suspension and lights?
In response to vitaminC, yes the car has some mods: H&R coilover suspension, a ceramic L&N IMS bearing, and hollow-spoke Turbo-fitment (wide body) wheels. The Turbo wheels were plastidiped black which I removed with a lot of scrubbing this weekend--they look great now! The wheels are a bit aggressive on the rear (11" with 45mm offset) which makes the tires protrude about 1/2" or so, but for some reason it does not rub--yet.

The problem is that I need new rear tires soon. I will need to decide if I want to buy tires for the 11" wheel and look for a better (aftermarket?) fitment, or go with Porsche standard wheel (10" width) with proper offset. I do love these Turbo wheels, so perhaps a "Turbo Look" in a 10"?--a topic for a different thread..
Old 11-29-2016, 01:14 PM
brwilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit: Added note, yes the lights were changed to LED in the rear, but the PO provided me with one of the originals, for what it is worth.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:23 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by brwilson
Just an update: it is a long story, but I got halfway through a PPI and called it off right away--too much wrong. Made me realize an earlier seller had a much better car. I contacted him and he was able to get all his maintenance documents, including the original window sticker, and I met with his mechanic for an hours-long PPI/interrogation.

Felt good about the purchase, wrote a check, and now I am the new owner of an Arctic Silver 2000 996.
Alrighty then! You win. Nicely bought. As for the tires, since you don't have option M030, your stock ride height should be ok with the 11" wheels. I would go with tires for those wheels and even if you go over a really bad bump and they touch once, hope it won't do damage. They don't look that close in the pics.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats brwilson, what a nice setup. I like the wide wheels, they really fill out the hips of the C2.

Happy driving-
Old 11-30-2016, 09:39 PM
VivG
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brwilson
In response to vitaminC, yes the car has some mods: H&R coilover suspension, a ceramic L&N IMS bearing, and hollow-spoke Turbo-fitment (wide body) wheels. The Turbo wheels were plastidiped black which I removed with a lot of scrubbing this weekend--they look great now! The wheels are a bit aggressive on the rear (11" with 45mm offset) which makes the tires protrude about 1/2" or so, but for some reason it does not rub--yet.

The problem is that I need new rear tires soon. I will need to decide if I want to buy tires for the 11" wheel and look for a better (aftermarket?) fitment, or go with Porsche standard wheel (10" width) with proper offset. I do love these Turbo wheels, so perhaps a "Turbo Look" in a 10"?--a topic for a different thread..
If you can find them, the 10" wide Turbo Twist 2 rears are pretty great. They only came as solid-spoke though, so that's worth considering. I'm running hollow spoke 8" on the front and 10" solid spoke in the rear. Pretty happy with the setup, they look great on 996.1.

Quick Reply: 912 owner considering a 996, need advice