Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

V1 with Mirror Display, Where did they hide it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016 | 03:20 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Here is the windshield-mounted sensor. On the inside it has a logo of "LC" in a circle.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2016 | 03:52 PM
LDMF
Advanced

I did read all that I could on the Valentine Website. I even called and asked for advice. Nothing to share. I did find a similar looking mirror online, called that company and he told me that the device could be anywhere.

This is centered on the front bumper just above my chin spoiler.

I believe the mirror is not the radar device. This is not a great pic, reflections were hard to block
Old 10-11-2016 | 05:29 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

The unit mounted in the bumper is a K-40 Laser Detector/Diffuser. I have the same one.
Old 10-11-2016 | 05:33 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

But the question is... what version of the K40? Does this unit jam detect and jam laser? If it's older than 5 years, it probably won't be invisible to current laser technology because the newer laser systems have new lookup tables that the older laser detectors/jammers are blind to.
Old 10-11-2016 | 05:42 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LDMF
I did read all that I could on the Valentine Website. I even called and asked for advice. Nothing to share. I did find a similar looking mirror online, called that company and he told me that the device could be anywhere.

This is centered on the front bumper just above my chin spoiler.

I believe the mirror is not the radar device. This is not a great pic, reflections were hard to block
That's a active alert display because you can see the cable going up in the headline. At this point, I would recommend removing the bat wing and seeing if you can trace the cable connection the volume remote. That should lead you to the main "host" (i.e. detector's ECU). It probably leads to the frunk to connect with the radar interface and sensors.

Wonder if this is a complete K40 custom installed radar/laser detection system and is using a V1 type mirror display? Seems like I remember some third party groups making mirror alert units.

Hope you find it!
Old 10-11-2016 | 06:16 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

My K-40 unit is more than 5 years old and is very good at detecting Infiniti's. It did recently alert me to an actual laser signal but not sure if it diffused it. I've considered disconnecting it because it can get annoying and there is no way to turn it off (that I've found).

I have a feeling I have nearly an identical set up as the original poster. I'm 99% sure the radar detector is a V1 because the display shows the direction, count, and type of "bogies". I don't believe other units do that.
Old 10-11-2016 | 07:15 PM
LDMF
Advanced

Originally Posted by wyovino
My K-40 unit is more than 5 years old and is very good at detecting Infiniti's. It did recently alert me to an actual laser signal but not sure if it diffused it. I've considered disconnecting it because it can get annoying and there is no way to turn it off (that I've found).

I have a feeling I have nearly an identical set up as the original poster. I'm 99% sure the radar detector is a V1 because the display shows the direction, count, and type of "bogies". I don't believe other units do that.
I agree and have been told that as well by some local porsche owners. Eventually I will figure it out and will update everyone when I do. Maybe a backtrace from the laser detector defuse thing in front... And can that thing be upgraded while I'm at it.
Old 10-11-2016 | 09:11 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I could swear that someone here posted a link or a diagram a few years ago showing where it could be located. I think it was behind the rear passenger seat. I just spent an hour or so searching this and other sites but can't find that post.

I've seen posts stating that the V1 software can be updated but I don't know if it applies to the model I have. Locating it would be a big help.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-13-2016 | 01:23 PM
LDMF
Advanced

Been a while, but I figured I would report on where they hid the radar detector. I looked for this sucker over and over. basically I gave up looking for it.

I installed a Double Din Stereo this weekend and when I hooked up the radar detector controls, I hooked them up backwards. The detector started beeping and I was like a cat trying to find my dinner. followed then noise and determined that it was behind the carpet wall behind the rear seats. 2 screws later I pulled out the wall and found it between my roll bars, mounted high. that is the good news. The bad news is that they mounted without the box, so I can not have it upgraded. Oh well.
Old 11-14-2016 | 09:52 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the update. I'll check that location for mine this weekend. I'm not clear on what you mean by "mounted without the box". Does that mean that they removed the electronics from the case it came in? How easy would it be to just replace the unit?
Old 11-15-2016 | 06:25 AM
LDMF
Advanced

Yes that is exactly what I meant. They removed the electronics from its plastic casing. It would be fairly easy to remove and replace. I didn't look real closely, but it might mean some soldering on an electronic board. Not terribly difficult, but you must be more careful when working on the board. Good luck
Old 11-15-2016 | 09:09 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Post some picture... I would love to see this configuration. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2016 | 01:01 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I took that panel off but didn't find my radar detector. The only thing I could see was the mechanism for the roll bars. Btw - that panel is a pain to get back on.
Old 12-01-2016 | 09:52 AM
LDMF
Advanced

Per request, here are the images for the V1 between the roll bars. Sorry about the crappy pics but it was after work last night and my phone was dying and would not allow the use of a flash.

The first pic shows a view from the front seat looking towards the rear of the car. You can see the phone cord that is connected. This cord goes under the carpet to the controls,(right above the console) and to the display in the mirror.

The second is a pic is looking skyward of the actual radar detector mounted high between the rollbars. Doesn't show much, but you can see that it has been removed from its original case. Let me know if there are any other pics or info that anyone wants.

Old 12-01-2016 | 09:51 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I didn't look up under there when I had it open. I guess I'll have to take another look.

Thanks for the pictures.

Quick Reply: V1 with Mirror Display, Where did they hide it?