Sponsored by:

Inconsistent clutch pedal pressure 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by sammaw
rather than start a new thread. What are the tell tell signs of a clutch needing to be replaced in a 2002 996 c4. It has gone from quite heavy (3 years) to much lighter. And at lights it is much harder to do smooth starts. it judders a bit. but doing a second gear start will still stall it. so i am unsure if the clutch needs replacement or the system just needs to be adjusted/bleed.
Not sure the purpose behind a 2nd gear start. My advice is to stop that. You should always start out in 1st gear.

A clutch "test" for slippage involves with everything up to temperature take the car out somplace where you can do a full throttle acceleration starting in 4th or 5th gear at around 2.5K RPMs and then you just floor the gas pedal. I mean you don't ease it down but take it right to the carpet and hold it there as long as you can, as long as it safe.

If as the engine accelerates you notice an increase in RPMs without a corresponding increase in car speed that's clutch slippage. Let off the throttle the test is over with. No need to repeat the test the clutch won't get better.
Time then to get the car in for a new clutch.

Unless it was recently done before you do anything else do a thorough brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed.

With my Boxster I have found letting this go in one case 2.5 years (vs. having it done every 2 years that the factory calls for) accounted for a very hard to work smoothly clutch and lousy shifting.

Afterwards the clutch was once again very smooth and shifting was smooth and crunchy free.

If the clutch behavior doesn't noticeably improve after the fluid flush/bleed than come back -- you can start a new thread -- and you'll get help. The clutch hardware may still be ok it may be a clutch hydraulic system problem or a clutch linkage problem rather than a bad clutch.

Quick Reply: Inconsistent clutch pedal pressure 996TT