Sponsored by:

My 996 gets a facelift! (Oo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:28 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
BTW - regarding the lower lip: make sure to keep the C4S lower lip you've got on there - not the Turbo lip.
Fellow PCA guy that I respect told me that the turbo lip is only made to go with the turbo's rear spoiler - and without the fixed rear spoiler of the Turbo, the air flow gets messed up and affects high speed stability.
Wow! The aerodynamics thing is mind boggling when you think about the stability significance of a slightly different design in the plastic.

I actually thought about swapping out to the Turbo style lip spoiler because the one that came with the bumper was scratched up. But I'm glad I waited... thank you for the advice!
Old 09-20-2016, 09:30 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cuda911
OK. Because I was going to suggest adding a couple boards.

Lawd! That's a train wreck about to happen. I guess you can't fix stupid huh? You'd think the moron would at least move the main welding generator under the truck to provide some level of protection if that thing were to tip over.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:56 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Water Hound
How many hours did this take once you got started?
Well, honestly, I was "learning on the job" and so it took a lot longer than normal. Plus, I had to modify the center mounts underneath the car since my Carrera doesn't have the center radiator or C4S "airbox". This modification took quite a bit of time to do it right. Some would just bypass the mounts, but you need those mounts too keep the center of the bumper secure to the car, if not, you'll probably cause it to shake or vibrate at higher speeds. Now that I know how it goes on and off, I probably could remove it and install a new bumper in an hour... maybe even less. But I took my time because I didn't want to damage the paint or any of the mounts. Remember, you're dealing with plastic and it will break.

This project took me all day, but I enjoyed it. If I do anything else to the front bumper it will be to install C4S air ducts that will pull more air into the side radiators. The original air ducts are more horizontal in design, but seem to be working ok. However, it concerns since the C4S/TT bumper is designed slightly different and I'm worried some of the air will get trapped above the air ducts.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 09-20-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:45 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow that looks great!

I've not done anything cosmetic with mine but this does look like a worthwhile upgrade!
Old 09-20-2016, 05:26 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Fernando!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks great! I have been eyeing bumpers for mine. Same as you, regular bumper is ok, just doesnt add anything to the car. Looking at the gt3 style, but its hard to trust anyone for quality, and not get stuck with a $1k misfit bumper
Old 09-21-2016, 09:46 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
Looks great! I have been eyeing bumpers for mine. Same as you, regular bumper is ok, just doesnt add anything to the car. Looking at the gt3 style, but its hard to trust anyone for quality, and not get stuck with a $1k misfit bumper
Yea, the GT3 type bumper is the best, but comes at a major cost - list price $3236.14 primed (99650598302G2X) or the white lined version (99650598092900) - $5820.39. That doesn't include the GT3 center air inlet/box (which directs the center air upwards through the hood vent) and all the necessary trim. You could be looking at $7000 - $10,000.

Ouch!

And I completely agree, there are lots of aftermarket bumper, but if you go with a cheap version, you might find it's flimsy and doesn't fit perfectly. Be careful!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

moar pics - looks good! nice work on waiting for a deal to come along, been doing the same thing with interior parts
Old 09-21-2016, 11:23 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
moar pics - looks good! nice work on waiting for a deal to come along, been doing the same thing with interior parts
Yep! You have to patient to snag the big fish!

As I mentioned before, I reused the Carrera's duct work and it seems to be cooling the car just fine, but it would be better to match the proper C4S/TT radiator ducts with the TT bumper vents. That would give me maximum air flow over the rads. However, Porsche wants about $500 for the pair and that's just a piece of silly formed plastic. I bet ya it didn't cost them for than $1 to manufacture it. That gives *new* meaning to "Porsche tax". ha!

Anyway, I do plan on upgrading the ducts in the future, but I'll be patient and find a better deal. Drove the car last night pretty fast and it never got about 180F. And so, maybe I'm being too OCD about it, huh? hahaha

Quick Reply: My 996 gets a facelift! (Oo)