Unsolvable Clutch Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016 | 06:16 PM
Ferdzz
Track Day

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Ferdzz,
I hope you kept your old DMF ?
Jake has written that the LWFW is about the worst possible mod to an M96.
But to be fair, I wonder if the vibration you mentioned is caused by a few weak fingers on the pressure plate?
I do have the old DMF, and the current LWFW is working beautifully.

What is strange is that if it were a mechanical thing inside the clutch the fingers on the P.Plate or throwout bearing. Why is only acting up after 100-150 miles.

In fact from my older thread, I have taken the car from my house (Seal Beach) to Palm Springs with only a few shifts to get onto the freeway, and as I approach Palm Springs (130 miles away) the clutch pedal travel is severely low causing hard to get into any gear.
Old 09-14-2016 | 06:32 PM
E Johnson
Intermediate

This could be a issue with either your throw out bearing or a warping of your flywheel, or simply a flywheel that was not balanced correctly. The vibration is causing your fluid to get air into it which you are then pushing into the system every time you push down on the clutch.

I would start with replacing the TO bearing, first, and if the issue is not resolved, perhaps consider a different flywheel, or have the one you got resurfaced, and balanced.

I hope that this is helpful.

Erik Johnson
(720) 899-6005 phone
Old 09-15-2016 | 02:26 AM
speed rII
Pro

Originally Posted by Ferdzz
speed rII,

I can not confirm this visually, but only through circumstantial observations of what is happening.
Ok, so if you dont push the clutch pedal and open the bleed screw, you can hear the slave piston move to inner position?

If this is the case, your mastercylinder isnt releasing the pressure/fluid to reservoir.
Or the pipe from reservoir to master has something blocking it.
There is only one but, if these parts really are faulty, you would notice the problem after few pedal push.

I still believe that the fault is inside the bellhousing. And that the vibration is the
key.
Your slave cylinder is acting like a miniature ulrasonic washer...
Old 09-15-2016 | 11:48 AM
drbooba1
Instructor

I am familiar with Sachs products but am very wary of pressure plates and discs the are referred to as Stage 2 if the pressure plate releases unevenly or is simply out of balance and or week from "tweeking" the release point which is a aftermarket trick often not working.
regards
Old 09-15-2016 | 01:14 PM
Ferdzz
Track Day

Originally Posted by speed rII
Ok, so if you dont push the clutch pedal and open the bleed screw, you can hear the slave piston move to inner position?

If this is the case, your mastercylinder isnt releasing the pressure/fluid to reservoir.
Or the pipe from reservoir to master has something blocking it.
There is only one but, if these parts really are faulty, you would notice the problem after few pedal push.

I still believe that the fault is inside the bellhousing. And that the vibration is the
key.
Your slave cylinder is acting like a miniature ulrasonic washer...
I don't think anything will happen if I open the bleed screw if there is no pressure in the system to push any fluid.

But with all your recommendations it sounds more and more that the root cause is inside the clutch assy.

I not so sure it is a problem in the clutch hydraulic system.
Old 09-15-2016 | 01:35 PM
Ferdzz
Track Day

Originally Posted by drbooba1
I am familiar with Sachs products but am very wary of pressure plates and discs the are referred to as Stage 2 if the pressure plate releases unevenly or is simply out of balance and or week from "tweeking" the release point which is a aftermarket trick often not working.
regards
I am more and more thinking that my problem is inside the gearbox bell housing and clutch assy. rather than something in the hydraulics.
Old 09-16-2016 | 12:45 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

So, just pop the new LWFW and clutch off and return to stock. Problem solved.Pity about the labor !
Really sorry for the aggravation but logically, what else could it be?

Quick Reply: Unsolvable Clutch Problem?