Sponsored by:

tiptronic woes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:09 PM
Jason 996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland

At this point its just a big p-car pig f**k. I'm just standing there with my money in one hand and a jar of Vaseline in the other. I feel like someone who finally got this great looking woman to take off her cloths only to find that she has a really bad rash and lots of boils and scabs. If it gets that grim I'll just dump the car.
LOL!!!!!! I ABSOLUTELY love the HONESTY in that statement! Your a good guy!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:54 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
My Corvette guy would punch himself in the face if he caught himself saying it's just easier to install a new transmission than fix the one in the car. The 4L60-E Chevy used for my Corvette is bomb-proof. It's modular, nearly indestructible, and ubiquitous. A basic rebuild kit (servo, accumulator service kit, and valve body rebuild kit) sells for $68; a stage 3 upgrade kit (good for ~550HP) sells for a whopping $500. On the one event I got a little lazy (D44 swap) and asked him how much he wanted to do the work, he looked at me funny and asked why the F--- I wasn't doing it myself. So I did it myself.

The "user serviceable" parts of the 996 are so easy - and relatively inexpensive - to work on; it's a shame that the Porsche ecosystem treats major components like the transmission and engine as black boxes full of magic that can't be touched by mere mortals. It just shouldn't be as hard as this thread suggests to get a competent mechanic to fix a transmission.

Sorry you're getting railed, John. Doesn't sound fun at all.
Tell me about your Corvette? Driving how does it differ from the 996?
Old 09-21-2016, 11:25 PM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnireland
Tell me about your Corvette? Driving how does it differ from the 996?
John, it doesn't matter if its a Corvette, a 996 or a Ferrari from 1962. If it's got **** or tires, it's gonna give you a headache at some point or another.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:58 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes I know all things can break. Just curious about the man's Corvette. Simple leans toward being robust, complicated leans toward being fragile. Politics, monetary systems, cars, relationships. It would take an awful big issue to make me bail on my Porsche now and walk away from $5k worth of work. At the moment I'm thinking about driving it until it looks like Paul Newman's old 356 in the movie "Harper." I'll treat the mechanicals well, and I'll keep it water tight, but it will never be the crown jewels in my life.

Quick Reply: tiptronic woes...