Sponsored by:

Open letter to 996 Moderators re: MBMotorsports

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Thanks for taking the time to respond Mark. Hopefully it's clear that I'm not intending to slam you guys here. That you guys keep us in line as much as you do is pretty impressive

I'm not sure it's worth restoring any of his posts (honestly didn't even know it was an option) as there was nothing earth shattering that was lost (at least in the ones I saw before they got nuked). I just wanted to bring up some potentially unintended consequences for you guys to keep in mind down the road.
No, it's cool. I've been around for almost fifteen years, and the site that John D. created and the conduct that was expected have not been lost on me (or the other mods). This is, for the most part, a terrific community.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:22 PM
Jason 996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROLEX11 - I appreciate the concern and you pointing out that other living animals have importance too!

Me and my wife have been passionate about animals being not looked upon as something without feelings and right of acknowledgment as a creature of life. RESCUE A DOG, CAT OR WHATEVER! & BE KIND TO IT!
The Great Ones in our book are Betty White, Bob Barker, Sam Simon (Yes the guy from The Simpsons) right down to the person that see's a dog on the street about to get injured and instead of driving by - get's out and bring's in home to maybe their child. Now that made 1 dog and 1 child happy! WIN WIN!
Old 08-31-2016, 04:23 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

I actually appreciate the job the mods have done and prefer the deletions. I understand what you are saying gnat and don't disagree with it. I just prefer to have them deleted and have the threads cleaned up. I think it's also a lot easier for the mods to just scan and mass delete known offenders as opposed to having to read line after line of meaningless dribble.

Great job mods!
Old 08-31-2016, 04:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Thank you Mods !

You made the best of a bad situation Mark. Thank you.
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
This was pretty much what I was going to state. I know that, no matter what I do here, some will say that I don't reign things in enough, whereas others feel that I'm too heavy-handed. We are volunteers and not everything is going to be 100% perfect, 100% of the time. Mods have discretion to take action based on judgment (and sometimes based on a consensus).

Martin's basic actions and posts over time should be clear. Although I wasn't involved in the last issue, the mod or mods who did take action probably had a day job to deal with and did the best they could.

If anyone feels compelled to have Martin's post record to be undeleted, shoot a mass PM to the admin, Bob Rouleau, and the super mods like Hacker-Pschorr, 911SLOW, IB Nolan, etc. and see if they will resume his old posts. Since I didn't delete Martin's posts, it's not correct for me to undo another mod's work.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Little technical merit in Martin's Posts

Sadly there was seldom much technical merit in his posts.He did not substantiate his many claims . Mostly ad hominem attacks and even cyber-stalking Forum members.
This is a pity because he was given many ,many opportunities to promote his ideas and his business. He was given many gracious welcomes and second chances. I even helped him rephrase his broken English for clarity while trying to find something of technical value in his posts.
He may have been able to develop a better business partially based on support from Rennlisters. He destroyed that , dumped on us (& Americans generally!) and in several fits of petulance threw it back at us.
I suspect he may reappear on other Porsche Forums with a different name.
I wish him well.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:58 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 996
ROLEX11 - I appreciate the concern and you pointing out that other living animals have importance too!

Me and my wife have been passionate about animals being not looked upon as something without feelings and right of acknowledgment as a creature of life. RESCUE A DOG, CAT OR WHATEVER! & BE KIND TO IT!
The Great Ones in our book are Betty White, Bob Barker, Sam Simon (Yes the guy from The Simpsons) right down to the person that see's a dog on the street about to get injured and instead of driving by - get's out and bring's in home to maybe their child. Now that made 1 dog and 1 child happy! WIN WIN!
thank Jason

That is all I was trying to do when I posted that. I remember being quite shocked when the mods called me out on that one.

In early 2009 at age 43 I was able to hang up my working jacket and pursue in life what matters to me and the things that I enjoy.

One of those thing that matter to me most are animal rights. I'm not gonna ring my bell here, but I am very involved in this area.

Just to shine a bit of light, I once headed an effort to shut down a local retail puppy store that was abusing the animals and lacking in any concern for there well being before or after the sale. Over 2 years with much help from dear friends and other concerned individuals and the city, we shut them down. And succeeded to get the city to ban any future retail puppy stores from doing business in that city. 2 years tens of thousands of my $$'s, and we won. Most of the $$ went to lawyers and the undercover photographers who put themselves in harms way to secretly film the violations.

Anyone who thinks there is an 800 number you can dial when you see animals mistreated is sorely mistaken.

Thread Hijacking.....guilty......
Old 08-31-2016, 05:55 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
I remember being quite shocked when the mods called me out on that one. .
I don't want to speak for the mods but I think it may have been the reference to the child, not the deer, that got it deleted. Just a guess though.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:14 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I was one of a small team of mods on one of the more popular Saab forums for many years, during which time we had a similar issue with one particular supplier. While I tend toward less censorship rather than more, the decision to erase, edit or bring out the ban-hammer is never an easy one. Mark, I think y'all do a pretty fine job. And if Marty doesn't come back, it's his loss.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:41 PM
rolex11
Pro

you are most likely correct my friend...

but that is the point here...

If you would post a story where you said, "I was driving one night thru mountain roads and out of nowhere I hit an old man, etc. etc., yada yada yada". Then the only conversation from there on was that everyone was ok, and how to possibly repair the damage, and how upset you were that your Porsche was damaged, and no one ever asked about the poor old man. That's the point. I was just asking about the "poor old man" if you will, and got pegged for it.

If the moral or ethical bar at Rennlist is set at not being able point out that a deer lost its life, or at least was severely injured, then pardon me.

That I just corrected for the record the statement "everyone was ok" was not correct, and that set off the mods, again pardon me.

Seems a very good example of over kill on behalf of the mods. which is what we are discussing here.

Dead horse beaten....not that it's ok to beat a dead horse, or for that matter one that is still alive, or for that matter a hypothetical horse...

Legal notice: No horses have been beaten or injured in the typing of this post. The author and its affiliates in no way condone the beating of horses or any living creature. Any reference to old men being struck by a car is solely for the purpose of stating a point. No old men have been struck by cars due to the typing of this post. Any similarity or factual resemblance to actual old men being struck by a cars in unintended.

Covering my a$$ so I don't get banned.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:46 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Only in the 996 Forum can an open letter thread about a member sponsor turn into a discussion about animal rights...

I love this site!!!
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Ok, back on point:
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

As long as no Unicorn's get harmed, I'll be fine. Running low on Unicorn Semen and not sure how much longer I can wait for a new supply. It's what's been keeping my original IMS alive this whole time.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:56 PM
rolex11
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
Ok, back on point:
and now "women's rights"

2 young defenseless girls forced to wear ridiculous looking constricting clothes for hours out in the hot sun. Just look at the pain and suffering of their facial expressions.

Oooh the humanity.....!!!! Where are the mods when you need them...
Old 08-31-2016, 07:05 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As a moderator on other forums, it's a thankless job. Depending on the forum and constraints, the strictness varies a lot by how "on topic" or "appropriate content" the thread is. A theme forum usually has to have the post or pics contain the theme in them. Cliques and bullying is what ruins forums for new members. This is where a good moderator has to step in. If the forum members follow the rules of the forum, a moderator will be transparent. When you realize it's thunderdome, it's too late. I have gone in after a forum was fractured up and cleaned house for the owners. Sometimes the forum comes back, many times the owner pulls the plug.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:10 PM
Jason 996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
and now "women's rights"

2 young defenseless girls forced to wear ridiculous looking constricting clothes for hours out in the hot sun. Just look at the pain and suffering of their facial expressions.

Oooh the humanity.....!!!! Where are the mods when you need them...
I heard the one on the left saying that the one on the right does rebuilds for twice as much. Then the the fans jumped in and said the one on the left reused many of the original parts creating a low cost build, then there was a catfight over the descriptive terminology of what "Rebuild" means. Can't we all just Stare and get along?

Quick Reply: Open letter to 996 Moderators re: MBMotorsports