Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a Quickjack - enough lift to drop motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Old post, but seems like a good place to add some thoughts.

It seems like those lifts would be good for wheel/tire/brake work and getting the engine up to an ok working height, but they'd block off a lot of the underside, and in some cases make it hard to do things like removing front transmission brackets, fuel filter, hoses, transmission removal, etc. And they seem like the height would be marginal for engine/transmission removal.

I have a Danmar Maxjax and it works okay for most things, but it is a major compromise. This lift does work well for removal of the 911 engine and transmission.

The Maxjax isn't tall enough to stand under (only lifts 4') and doing work underneath ends up being really uncomfortable. It is too low for most rolling shop seats (I haven't gotten around to fabbing up a lower one), so I usually end up kneeling and that gets old fast. It also only has a few stops where you can lock it in place with a metal bar - this is a huge compromise setup, and if the bars aren't in place could be a safety hazard. It really relies on the operator (rather than the mechanism) to put the stops in place. That makes it tricky to put it in intermediate positions as well - rather than the every 4" or 6" ladder locks on other lifts, you get two positions (something like 2' and 4') or you have to rig up something to act as a makeshift safety stop (jack stands can be pressed into service for a low height stop).

Danmar has a new version called the MX-6 that has better safety features that I'd look into if I was going to do it now. It's basically the same thing, but with a ratcheting ladder lock system, and is certified.

I'll also just be whiny and complain that the separate portable hydraulic cart is often in the way. It would be swell to have it attached to one of the posts. The hoses laying on the ground are often in the way too.

The major up side is that the Danmar portable two post lifts can be taken out of the way the 98% of the time you don't need them, and probably most importantly, they work on lower height ceilings (as low as 8', I think).

I build my ceilings at a (seemingly random) 10'-6" ceiling, so there isn't room for a proper two post lift, and the garage isn't large enough (only 28'x28') to keep a lift installed full time and be able to use both bays and the other space effectively.

My biggest beef is the 4' max lift height, but not much I can do about that.

What I'd like in my odd situation is a portable lift that goes up to 6' lift height, with a ladder lock safety system. I suspect that there is very little demand for this height lift though.

Drill new holes for the safety bar at the desired heights...pretty simple

Quick Reply: Thinking of a Quickjack - enough lift to drop motor?