thinking of the future plans...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:40 PM
riddler777
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thinking of the future plans...

want some opinions on the future ideas of 996 forum

Its been 2 years with ups and downs in my 996 carrera, there are no thoughts of replacing it but to keep improving it to perform on the local tracks and to learn how to drive it properly.

which brought me to a question, what to do with a daily driver, as the track oriented 996 is lovely but it will become more and more harsh for the street

I though I had this sorted out and bought (as before my 996) an e46 m3 (non smg coupe) this time. ande here is the thing, after using the 996 every day (except winter) the beemer doesn't cut it anymore, although I was a huge fan, I have been so used to the 996 that it has sort of become a benchmark car for me (Ilove the fried egg headlights as well) since the GT3 seems to be a dream dissapearing on the horizon due to ever increasing values (and therefore babying it if I ever would get to it, I would be too scared to drive it as hard as I do with carrera) that would also become a garage queen.

the obvious choice would be either a 997 but since there is no actual improvement in the engine and the only thing I actually like better than 996 is the interior so there are not many +points for paying more also the taxes in my country are higher for cars first registered after 01.01.2005

then of course the turbo, which is lovely but roads in my country are crap and there is literary no way to stretch the legs of a turbo at all. (an the price of course is also increasing in Europe as well.

have come to a conclusion that a 996 carrera 4 would be the best choice then

which also raises the question of maybe there are some people working with salvage and auction cars, (I am not bothered with it having a reasonable accident damage) since I would go over it anyway with the idea of keeping it for quite a while.

any thoughts/opinions (what would you do etc) I personally am not in a need of a big hauler or a 4x4 etc an if there ever will be a need for that a vw passat is always awailable for carrying **** around
Old 08-07-2016, 09:34 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I think getting a cheap boxster would be an option.
2.7L boxsters are pretty nice car and you can get then under $10k here in the US. You can put alot of miles and drive in the winter too. Pretty cheap bortherline disposable at this point.

I have seen 2.7L used engine for sale for less than $3K. Way cheaper than blowing 996 3.4 or 3.6L engines. At that price, I would even drive it without bother changing the ims as it might cost you more than half of what the engine worth.

For track use, the mid engine would give you a nice chassis balance. From my experience, boxster actually nimbler than 996.
Tires and consumables are cheaper than 996 too. They have 255 width R17 rear tires (very common size) and one set of four cost me around $400 instead of over $700 for 996 (285 width rear).
Old 08-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 117 Posts

If you want to track your DD more, upgrade to coilovers, better sway bars, and a set of track wheels/tires. It become a different beast. C4 is a little easier/safer on the track. C2 will perform a little better.

Boxster makes a great dedicated track car. There is a lot you can do with them and they are a ton of fun.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:21 AM
riddler777
Racer

sorry but the looks of a boxster don't apeal to me, and my 996 will get all of those track related things, it already has gt3 oem coilovers. other bits will be upgraded with time.

the topic was more about another 996 or maybe 997 (is it worth getting that), since the improvements are that minimal compared to 996 instead of my e46 m3, which I might get rid of, since the car seems rather bland after driving a 996 for couple of years
Old 08-08-2016, 08:35 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

I'm confused. Are you looking to buy a second Porsche or you asking about upgrading your current one? If second, for track only, DD or combo?
Old 08-08-2016, 02:21 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayman would be a great DD choice, same pro's as the Boxster without the looks...although I still love a Boxster from the drivers side.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:09 PM
riddler777
Racer

Originally Posted by Slakker
I'm confused. Are you looking to buy a second Porsche or you asking about upgrading your current one? If second, for track only, DD or combo?

The one in my avatar is currently my daily that is slowly turning to a trackday car etc. So i am thinking of what to replace my daily intended e46 m3 since i feel i have not so much sympathy for it than i used to have
Old 08-08-2016, 11:05 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by riddler777
The one in my avatar is currently my daily that is slowly turning to a trackday car etc. So i am thinking of what to replace my daily intended e46 m3 since i feel i have not so much sympathy for it than i used to have
Lotus evora or elise
Alfa romeo 4C
Orginal Acura/honda NSX
Morgan aero
Caterham 7
Aston martin vantage (they are down to mid $30K -40K here in US)
Mercedes CL65 AMG (not much a canyon carver but 738 lb.ft torque is insane)
Old 08-08-2016, 11:39 PM
jj1
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My c2 has JRZ rs2 with 650/850lb spring rates (~11/15kg), Cobra Nogaro seat, OS giken diff and a test pipe. It's a little rougher on big cracks and bumps when driving slow (30mph ish). But it's incredibly good on the street and great on track. I could add aero, which won't hurt street driving, and it would turn some very serious lap times. So basically, I'm suggesting your car can be great on street and still be a great track car. You might just need to re think your set up.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:12 AM
riddler777
Racer

Originally Posted by jj1
My c2 has JRZ rs2 with 650/850lb spring rates (~11/15kg), Cobra Nogaro seat, OS giken diff and a test pipe. It's a little rougher on big cracks and bumps when driving slow (30mph ish). But it's incredibly good on the street and great on track. I could add aero, which won't hurt street driving, and it would turn some very serious lap times. So basically, I'm suggesting your car can be great on street and still be a great track car. You might just need to re think your set up.

Yeah this is also an option of course. However since there ar winters over here (Eastern Europe) and sometimes with snow then it might not work so well. But anyway coilovers can be raised and with snow tyres this also can be sorted.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Cayenne TurboS :P
Old 08-09-2016, 04:06 PM
riddler777
Racer

that is one cool suv, but the consumption will kill me not to mention that I just don't need such a big truck in the first place

Quick Reply: thinking of the future plans...