Sponsored by:

"Nine-Year Itch"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 PM
centerisl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Montychristo128
On behalf of Slakker and as another Dual row IMS(B) early 1999 (98) car yes they are best, most reliable funpacked 996 of them all. Ohh and it has a 993 4 spoke steering wheel, so its almost like an air-cooled car really. Lighter, faster, better.
Yes, I get that 1999 is preferred by many, especially Jake. But no drink holder or glovebox? Lacking the chassis stiffening of the 02+? Not to mention the glass rear window for the cab. And what about that dual row IMSB? Sure the failure rate is lower, but are you going to gamble or do an upgrade/Solution anyway?

I don't know that I really had a point to my post, but I'm basically looking for a car that will eventually give me a little of that Magnus Walker mojo. I certainly don't want an aero - it's not like I'm a Jimmy Johns delivery boy - but something that's restrained and under the radar. Like when I was watching out the window of a local tavern and a dozen long-hoods quietly filled the parking lot. Aero, loud mufflers, donk wheels, booming sound - I'll leave that to others on this forum.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:20 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It really comes down to do you want a Porsche 911 or not? It's that simple, there is no other question to be answered. There is no point comparing it to other vehicles because frankly there is no apples to apples comparison for all sorts of reasons both good and bad. Want the most "bang for the buck?" get a Corvette. Want the most reliable? Get a brand new BRZ fully loaded for $28k. Want a car that's easy to work on yourself, get anything that's not a Porsche 911. As of right now, relatively speaking, all of the perceived "problems" of the 996 are instantly off set by the lower prices. Looking up and down the 911 spectrum anything prior to 1998 has doubled. Porsche 911 is not a logical choice in general, it's not. "There is no substitute." Cliche as it gets? Yep. But most cliches are loaded with truth.

If you can't enjoy the car due to reading this forum - do not buy a 996
If you don't have $5,000 in cash ready to burn in a moment's notice with no regrets what so ever - do not buy a 996
If you have no plans to drive it on a race track (this one is personal) - do not buy a 996, this should be a primary motivation, "I can't wait to get this thing out on the race track." at least one time
Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

^ That last paragraph is chock full of truth...T
Old 08-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by centerisl
Yes, I get that 1999 is preferred by many, especially Jake. But no drink holder or glovebox? Lacking the chassis stiffening of the 02+? Not to mention the glass rear window for the cab. And what about that dual row IMSB? Sure the failure rate is lower, but are you going to gamble or do an upgrade/Solution anyway?

I don't know that I really had a point to my post, but I'm basically looking for a car that will eventually give me a little of that Magnus Walker mojo. I certainly don't want an aero - it's not like I'm a Jimmy Johns delivery boy - but something that's restrained and under the radar. Like when I was watching out the window of a local tavern and a dozen long-hoods quietly filled the parking lot. Aero, loud mufflers, donk wheels, booming sound - I'll leave that to others on this forum.
Drinks holders and glove boxes just add weight , can't say I really miss them that much, and the door pockets are ample big enough for the stuff I need to carry. And yes I'm going to risk the dual row working just fine until clutch replacement time. After all its a 911 for Honda Civic money.

I love the way my car looks, its clean and simple, no aero addenda goes like stink and pulls like a train (cliches all used up), and in all honesty the only people who care about the 996 being a "996" are other Porsche owners, everyone else just sees a 911.

Drive both cars and see what you really need, if its cup holders and a stiffer chassis then buy a 996.2 see if you can find one with a reputable IMSB replacement (as these seem to have started to fail)its a third car for us, so I don't need to care too much about the practicality of it.

Finally I should say I'm not a huge fan of Magnus Walker , I find his cars to be somewhat of a pastiche of what some people think Porsches should be. I'd rather aim for a Singer which distills all the best bits and makes them better. Kind of what Porsche did with the 996...................................
Old 08-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 117 Posts

Driving to WY with the family. While skimming threads, 9-year itch seemed like something to be avoided.

If you like the nostalgia of the air cooled, then a '99 with the mechanical throttle and no traction control will get you the closest. And I love EJ's last paragraph as well.

For me, I lucked into the '99. It was the cheapest Porsche I could love and I got it well under my budget. If performance is your primary motivation, the '99 is an awesome platform to build from. If DD is your primary purpose, the niceties on the newer models will have more appeal to you than they probably did to me.

Quick Reply: "Nine-Year Itch"