996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Upgrade recommendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:43 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The RS-808 wheels are one of the best bang for buck "performance" wheels on the market now for our cars.

The unsprung weight will aid your car in handling, braking, acceleration, more so than getting an intake or even upgrading to certain set of brake pads, especially if you're coming from heavy GT3, Sport Design, or Solid Turbo Twist wheels.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

+1 on Slow down !

Figure out what you want when you are done with your modifications.

You don't want to hodgepodge your car.

Maintaining your Porsche is costly, make sure you make your current set-up the best it can be.

Then learn to enjoy it
Old 08-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Akshun12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the RS-808s also in satin black. Those are definitely on the list at some point. I also plan on taking some of the driving courses when they are offered so I can become more adept at what the car can really do.

Research is ongoing as is some light restoration work that I am doing myself (i.e. missing/broken trim parts, massive paint correction). The previous owner(s) just let the car sort of become dilapidated in small areas, but according to the PPI tech the engine, tranny, etc is all rock solid which is what I was most concerned about.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not handy AT ALL, but am actively looking to take some mechanic courses so I can learn how to wrench my own ride for some regular maintenance items and also become more knowledgeable. Having said that, I got this car also as a project vehicle to have some fun with since I can't touch my DD as its on an extended warranty until 100k miles.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Akshun12
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not handy AT ALL, but am actively looking to take some mechanic courses so I can learn how to wrench my own ride for some regular maintenance items and also become more knowledgeable.
6 months ago I had hardly turned a wrench on a car myself. Dealing with repair shops with my previous 911 was so painful that the only way I would get another one is if I did the work myself.

My first major accomplishment was just finding the air filter. I felt like I had really accomplished something. Of course i forgot to plug the MAF back in and also triggered my first CEL as well. I then worked my way up to upgrading the shifter, the brake pads, brake fluid, replacing the AOS and water pump, full suspension upgrade, swapping exhaust, replacing subframe and wheel carrier, fully stripping one for the track etc... The surprising thing for me is how much I enjoy working on them and learning. Probably as much or more then driving them.

A great place to start is the 101 Projects book for the 996. Most of the articles in it are posted on Pelican Parts website I frequently pickup the book. It has a list of tools to buy and Amazon is where I've ordered most of my tools from. Also check out the torque spec book available from LN Engineering. Just take your time when working on them, be extra detailed, and you will have a blast.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:05 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Akshun12
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not handy AT ALL, but am actively looking to take some mechanic courses so I can learn how to wrench my own ride for some regular maintenance items and also become more knowledgeable. Having said that, I got this car also as a project vehicle to have some fun with since I can't touch my DD as its on an extended warranty until 100k miles.
While I definitely applaud your enthusiasm, the 996 shouldn't be the first "project" car you learn to wrench on IMO, unless you are ready to endure some headaches, both mentally and financially.

Not sure what your DD is but it may make more sense financially to wrench on your DD and get a warranty for your 996 instead. Lol.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Akshun12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
6 months ago I had hardly turned a wrench on a car myself. Dealing with repair shops with my previous 911 was so painful that the only way I would get another one is if I did the work myself.

My first major accomplishment was just finding the air filter. I felt like I had really accomplished something. Of course i forgot to plug the MAF back in and also triggered my first CEL as well. I then worked my way up to upgrading the shifter, the brake pads, brake fluid, replacing the AOS and water pump, full suspension upgrade, swapping exhaust, replacing subframe and wheel carrier, fully stripping one for the track etc... The surprising thing for me is how much I enjoy working on them and learning. Probably as much or more then driving them.

A great place to start is the 101 Projects book for the 996. Most of the articles in it are posted on Pelican Parts website I frequently pickup the book. It has a list of tools to buy and Amazon is where I've ordered most of my tools from. Also check out the torque spec book available from LN Engineering. Just take your time when working on them, be extra detailed, and you will have a blast.
Thanks for the tip. Lots of people provided (valued) opinions, but this post in particular gave me info I can actually reference and truly decide what I'm comfortable doing. There's a lot of info in this book I wasn't expecting on little things I wanted to do, but don't want to pay anyone for like replacing side/tail lights. I will start out small and build up as my knowledge grows.

I've never maintained a vehicle before as I stated so this is what I mean by "project". I don't see myself changing out suspensions or making it race ready, but who knows... My DD is a late model Audi A6 and I ain't touching it with a 20ft pole as it will void my warranty.

Quick Reply: Upgrade recommendations needed