Fire Extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:14 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 445 Likes on 264 Posts

^ ouch, that must have been heart breaking.

I am midway through a personal restoration project and have already budgeted for the rennline setup. A number of the GT3/RS's we get through our facility have us install them. I know offhand of a couple times where they have proven their worth.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 08-02-2016, 09:56 PM
FastM96
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Any reason why you feel it a neccessity on a DD?
Are daily drivers somehow magically immune to fire?
Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
Second drive after a 4-year restoration (this was in March on Corvetteforum.com) - this is why you carry fire extinguishers.

The guy has a video of his car burning to the ground while waiting for the FD.
It looks like the fire extinguisher didn't work... Or maybe they just tried to douse it with baby powder
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

That fire is a bummer. Had an under the hood fire a long time ago when a fuel line split. Did not have an extinguisher with me but was able to pull over and get it out quickly. Looking back I should have let I burn, LOL.

The "Bracketeer" looks interesting and inexpensive to boot. I have used BK mounts in the past and currently have a Speedtactics mount with a 2.5# Haltron extinguisher in the C4S. With the Speedtactics mount you do not have to remove the seat.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:49 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

This thread is so full of Lol.

Guys you have a 996, not a 356.

The point is to maximize risk on these cars so you can "upgrade".

Any modern, non collectible dd street car shouldn't need a fire extinguisher. On second thought, maybe I should install one on my wife's Acura since I did replace the fuel filter...hmmm...

Got a feeling that there might be a strong correlation between guys that replace their IMS being the same risk adverse guys that carry fire extinguishers.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:42 PM
TheBracketeer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey @Woodman71 - thanks for sharing information on The Bracketeer. Glad you like it in the GTO.

I invented it early last year ... put it into production a year ago, and have sold around 1000 since. I never set out to be in the car fire extinguisher bracket business. I made one for my own car, shared info on a forum, and had people wanting to buy it. That prompted me to invent the universal version.

My passion is driven from my own experience. I have put out four ... yes FOUR car fires in my life. The first when I was 15 out the front of my parent's house (I also saved a toddler from the back of the burning car while the parents just stood back and screamed), the next when I was 16 in my own car ... and two more since then. In fact I was one of the first on the scene of an horrific car fire a few months back ... I ran to help with my extinguisher but the police arrived and ordered me back. And one more ... my brother's show car was destroyed by fire the day he got it on the road. It sucks.

The Bracketeer either clamps onto the seat rail (at the front or rear of the seat) on 991/997 Porche, Gen 5 and 6 Camaro, Gen 5 Mustang, Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade/Silverado/Sierra, F-150/Raptor ... or can be bolted directly onto the seat mount points in older cars like GM A-Body ... or newer Asian stuff like Genesis, Toyota, Mazda, Subaru. It has lateral adjustment to suit a variety of widths, and uses the cradle supplied with the extinguisher ... and is compatible with nearly every 2-2.5lb extinguisher from Kidde, Amerex, or H3R. It fits around 95% of vehicles on the road.

I'll attach some pics so you can get the idea.

Oh ... for those people who say "I'll keep one in the trunk" ... tell me how that goes if you're rear-ended and can't open the trunk ... and the gas tank ruptures in the process. Or ... and this happens all to often ... you are pinned inside the car and it is on fire. If you can get hold of the extinguisher, you may be able to keep the fire at bay until help arrives.

Any questions, please feel free to shoot me an email via the contact at www.thebracketeer.com

You can also see a heap of install shots if you scroll down on the customer page and there are also a lot of customer testimonials if you are interested too.

Simon

Old 09-07-2016, 01:12 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Older thread but I just wanted to respond to the idea of "why do you need a fire extinguisher"

Situations like this video are my #1 reason. Comparing it to a medical kit or jumper cables is spot on. I have no plans of my car going up in flames (some days I hope for it depending on what broke that week) but it could be what saves another persons life on the road.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:52 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any modern, non collectible dd street car shouldn't need a fire extinguisher. On second thought, maybe I should install one on my wife's Acura since I did replace the fuel filter...hmmm...
What do you consider modern?

As I was starting the process of ordering my Cayenne I had an incident with by 04 Escape that convinced me to check that box on the order form. Luckily it was minor and the half bottle of water I was able to dump on it caused enough smoke to suffocate itself (idiot shop busted a power steering line and fluid got trapped between the cat and a heat shield) without significant damage. Took 15 minutes for the FD to show up and having seen how fast a car can go I know that is way too long.

I do, however, regret giving Porsche money for the option. The first issue is that they mount it on the passenger side. While it's not an issue in the 996 to lean over and futz with that area, it's a different story in the Cayenne. So either I have to put myself in a position that will complicate getting out in a hurry or have to run around to the other side of the vehicle. Should have been mounted under the driver's legs in my opinion.

The second issue is that you can't replace the factory supplied extinguisher here in the States easily as it conforms to Euro specs. Getting one shipped from Europe is obscene...
Old 09-07-2016, 04:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

I suspect most of these guys will never end up using it but will eventually have to replace it as most extinguishers have a certain shelf life before needing replacement.

I love how people feel the need to justify having one rather than just saying they want one for whatever reason. It's like the guys that have the permanent tow hook in front or the weird off center license bracket holder...
Old 09-07-2016, 04:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I suspect most of these guys will never end up using it but will eventually have to replace it as most extinguishers have a certain shelf life before needing replacement.
That's a problem with home extinguishers too, most people never replace them. I didn't spell it out, but that's why I'm pissed that the factory option is such a PITA to replace.

I love how people feel the need to justify having one rather than just saying they want one for whatever reason.
I really don't get your take on this whole subject. This isn't something like a roll cage in a car that will never see the track or other such things.

Car fires happen and they go from "Do I smell smoke" to "Holy " exceptionally fast.

I didn't buy it cause I thought it would be cool. I bought it because I know how lucky I was to have my wife behind me to call and tell me the Escape was smoking. If she weren't then I wouldn't have known until it was much too late and it's probable that I would have been seriously hurt.

I never want to use the thing on my car or anyone else's, but it's one of those things you're much better off having and not needing than needing and not having.

If you don't feel the need to have one in your car, that's fine. I don't get deriding people that do feel it is worth having though (unless they are talking about how they still have their factory bottle in their 996, but that is more to your latest point rather than having one at all).
Old 09-07-2016, 06:10 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by gnat
I really don't get your take on this whole subject.

Car fires happen and they go from "Do I smell smoke" to "Holy " exceptionally fast.

If you don't feel the need to have one in your car, that's fine. .
I don't get this whole thread myself as these same people by the same logic should also be carrying fire extinguishers in all their cars, and not just Porsches.

$hit also happens(especially after eating Chipotle Burrito Bowl) but you don't see any of us carry an extra set of underwear or depends in the glovebox.

Either way, I don't have any beef and I'm just expressing my own opinion. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I don't get this whole thread myself as these same people by the same logic should also be carrying fire extinguishers in all their cars, and not just Porsches.
I get that and I'm guilty of it myself (Cayenne is the only car with one), but that is mainly out of laziness rather than thinking it's somehow special.

I have looked at putting one in the 996 (would be the one that is the subject of this thread) and the BMW. I just keep getting distracted and haven't gotten around to it...
Old 09-07-2016, 07:14 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always had an extinguisher in my 911s, and am getting ready to install one in my classic Mini Cooper.
In the Porsche I use the Rennline holder in front of the passenger seat. I never had anyone complain or bump it. I will mount the Mini unit on the roll cage.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I have one of these in the car.....have not used it yet.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2016, 02:10 PM
alpine003
Banned

Here's my economic solution. It does double duty too if my car ever breaks down in the middle of the desert.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher