RMS and IMS installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 07:28 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RRTEC
Dual mass flywheel
Only if it's worn out? Or always if the car has more than X thousand miles? Or ... ?
Old 07-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

"they prefer to take both the tranny and the engine out. Does that make sense?"
No, unless they need to dismantle the engine to repair collateral damage caused by IMSB failure.
Transmission removal yes,of course, engine no.
DMF - just test it. Easy to find the method.I have posted the Schaeffler/LUK video before
An exprienceed Porche Indie knows this - easy stuff.

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 07-29-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:05 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

My local Indie says he always drops the engine to do the IMS. It is just easier to do a good job. My personal comment would be it also provides great access to do the AOS while you are at it.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:29 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed, but best to test the AOS before removing the engine - while it can still be run. Unless it is miles based PM ? Other things too - like vac lines, oil filler tube?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

If your doing the ims Rms , it's basically a gearbox out job and probably not the full engine so don't worry about AOS and chain rails etc basically you are looking at replacing your Rms with the updated 997 seal which is modified and doesn't leak and replacing your ims , I have the vertex roller bearing kit in my car and I'm happy with it, I installed it myself as part of my engine build. You will need the ims bearing puller to remove your existing bearing , the new vertex bearing comes with the device to install the new bearing into your ims. I would put a new clutch and flywheel in also , the dual mass flywheel is known to chatter when it gets worn and the clutch disc is a while I'm in here job, all the work is in the same location so there shouldn't be much extra labour it will just be parts.
Oh you will need to remove the oil pump cover to install the oil pressure feed device which is part of the vertex kit to feed oil through the shaft to the ims bearing. Hope it goes ok, you might find its the ims cover leaking and not the Rms , this can be a sign the bearing could be on the way out so its worth getting it done soon!!

Quick Reply: RMS and IMS installation question