Sponsored by:

H&R Street Performance Coil Overs Eibach Sway Bars new seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 11:11 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default H&R Street Performance Coil Overs Eibach Sway Bars new seats

I am installing H&R Street Performance coil overs and Eibach anti-sway bars on a "high mileage" (120,000 mi.) 2002 C2. I don't know for sure how old my current suspension is. Looks original to me but who knows. (pics below) Either way I think it's time for replacement parts and hopefully it's an upgrade. I didn't want to spend PSS10 money (extra $1,000 at least). I will provide feedback for others who may want to go this route. This should accomplish my goals of lowering the car slightly and improving the suspension performance.

I can also provide some feedback on my installer, Yurii, at Polar Porsche (aka Polar Automotive in Cherry Hill NJ). Yurii is also installing a set of 997 full power seats in my 996. I contacted many Porsche shops (both dealer and indys) and no one even considered attempting this swap. The non-compatible electronics were just to daunting. Yurii claims he will get the job done.

I suspect I may need to replace some other steering / suspension components due to age, possibly control arms, ball joints, etc. but it may be interesting to see the effect of the coil overs and sway bars first, then install the other parts.

current suspension pics

997 seats going in:

H&R coil overs:

Old 06-29-2016, 02:31 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nice seats
Old 06-29-2016, 12:22 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yuri is great to work with.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yuri?! Not me I guess!

Definitely give us some feedback of how it feels please
Old 06-29-2016, 02:03 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Very curious about how you like the suspension when it's done!

Also, why the switch to 997 seats?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:37 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see salt is definitely prevalent and providing you No Joy in NJ.
Without appearing too selfish, your suspension upgrade is certainly one solid option for me in the future.
Very interested in your results.
Good luck!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Very curious about how you like the suspension when it's done!

Also, why the switch to 997 seats?
I will definitely report back on the H&R coil overs and Eibach bars.

My driver seat was pretty worn out, both the leather and the seat bottom cushion. The 997 seats are basically brand new and just a better seat. I was able to purchase the 997 seats at a good price. I will post pics after the install.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:27 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

I have decided to replace all of the following parts too: 4 x control arm/ball joints, 4 x lower control arm/wishbone, 4 x drop links, tie rods. So it will take a bit longer to report the results.....stay tuned.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:23 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just installed Eibach springs, wheel spacers, and Koni yellows at 77K miles. Springs and struts from Tire Rack and spacers from ECS Tuning. Original shocks and struts were done. Leaking and essentially barely functioning. Car now looks great and drives much better. Total cost was about $2500 including installation and alignment. Worth every penny - and the suspension was due anyway.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:34 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Okay, finally, after being banned for four weeks I can update my suspension upgrade. Here's what I installed new: H&R street performance coilovers, Eibach sway bars front and back, sway bar drop links (4), lower control arms / balljoints (all 4), lower "wishbone" control arms (all 4), a couple of front tie rod ends. And the result...TRANSFORMED. The car is SO MUCH more enjoyable to drive, I had no idea.

I suspect my suspension was original, so I thought it was probably shot. Now I KNOW it was shot. Car handles large and small bumps so much better, especially noticeable over the small bumps that used to be annoying but now are almost unnoticeable. Overall the driving experience has been transformed. Much flatter around corners. Squeaking, groaning, moaning, suspension GONE!

100% worth every penny (with installation and alignment cost almost $4,000)

The brand new 997 seats are pretty great too! WAY more comfortable.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Okay, finally, after being banned for four weeks I can update my suspension upgrade.
IHI thread?

Nice upgrades!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Slakker
IHI thread?

Nice upgrades!
Yep, IHI on July 4th. I posted a pic of a woman in body paint USA flag. Most of the pics on the IHI thread are FAR more revealing than the stylized body paint pic I posted. Anyway, I'm assuming that's why I was banned. I drove this thing (below) on Pocono Raceway. 2.5 mile tricky triangle, banked turns, wow, that was a blast!! Best $500 bucks I ever spent.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Holy crap that looks awesome! What did the car feel like, how did it handle?
Old 08-04-2016, 11:37 AM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice setup. I'm thinking of doing the same.
Happen to have a list of the part numbers for the suspension components (control arms etc.) you replaced?
Old 08-04-2016, 04:12 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Slakker
Holy crap that looks awesome! What did the car feel like, how did it handle?
The car was a "standard" NASCAR Sprint Cup style car, well used but still a completely professional race car. I think it was 650 HP. Race compound tires, which make a huge difference. The steering was incredibly tight and you barely had to move the steering wheel at all to adjust.

The ONLY limitation of this vehicle (in my hands) was my lack of high speed oval track driving experience and skill. This was the first time I had driven a real race car on a massive track with no limits what so ever. I was going so fast I was scared. I knew I was not experienced enough (at this type of driving) to push my luck beyond the speeds I was approaching. I hit 160 on the straights. There is no speedometer in the car but they calculate your top speed based upon the max RPM reached in high gear which is logged in the car. The faster you go the better the car handles. It was harder to drive the car at low speeds. No power steering, who needs it!

I highly recommend this stock car driving experience to anyone near the Pocono Raceway. Be sure you purchase the right type of driving experience that allows you to drive the ENTIRE track with NO LIMITS. Some outfits rent Pocono Raceway and offer driving experiences that take place on a smaller course with LOTS of tight turns (sucks). Don't buy that crap. You want to drive the Tricky Triangle? Then drive the whole damn thing with no speed limits.

Quick Reply: H&R Street Performance Coil Overs Eibach Sway Bars new seats