996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone her exported a car to the UK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 11:46 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone her exported a car to the UK?

I'm moving to London at the end of the year and I am studying options between selling my car here and buying there and exporting my own which I like very much anyway
JM
Old 10-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Keyvan
Racer

Well there are a few Left Hand Drive cars in London however the problem is that it is nearly impossible to sell the car here when the time comes.

Plus if your car is more than 3 years old you will have to get it MOT'ed which is the annual test to make sure the car is road worthy (emissions) and your headlights are calibrated for driving on the other side of the road.

If I where you I would sell the car in Atlanta and buy a another one here, you will loose quite a bit of money in the process but not as much as if you tried to sell your LHD car in the UK at a later date.

By the way I might be moving to Atlanta in a couple of month. Let's just swap cars.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Default Thanks

Originally posted by Keyvan
Well there are a few Left Hand Drive cars in London however the problem is that it is nearly impossible to sell the car here when the time comes.

Plus if your car is more than 3 years old you will have to get it MOT'ed which is the annual test to make sure the car is road worthy (emissions) and your headlights are calibrated for driving on the other side of the road.

If I where you I would sell the car in Atlanta and buy a another one here, you will loose quite a bit of money in the process but not as much as if you tried to sell your LHD car in the UK at a later date.

By the way I might be moving to Atlanta in a couple of month. Let's just swap cars.
I don't plan to sell my car at all. I just want to keept it so resale value is not a consideration. In your case, a swap with me would be a very bad deal. You have to count an exchange rate of pound for dollar so cars are 1.6 times less expensive here. In other words, you can sell your car in the UK and buy a brand new C4s here for no extra...

Can you tell me about taxes on cars in the UK? All I've been able to find is a tax around 165pounds a year. Is there nothing else? Here we have an ad-valorem tax that runs about $1700/year...

Maybe we should take this off-line. Feel free to answer at rotsaert@bellsouth.net. Maybe I can give you pointers about Atlanta - Been here 7 years.

All the best
JM

Quick Reply: Anyone her exported a car to the UK?