Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

C2 Stock Suspension Switch to Coilovers - Which Parts are still required?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016 | 06:38 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Default C2 Stock Suspension Switch to Coilovers - Which Parts are still required?

Were I to update my C2 suspension from almost stock (except for H&R springs) to coilovers such as Bilstein, Ölhins, KW, etc, which items/parts in the following front and rear suspension diagrams (from the good folks @ autoatlanta.com) would I still require?

1st from the Frt Susp.: Would I still require items 10, 6 (twice), 3 and 2? Anything else?
Name:  402-00 Frt Suspension Diagram.gif
Views: 2184
Size:  34.5 KB

Next to the Rear Susp.: Would I still require items 9, 5 (twice), 2, 3, 4 and 10? Anything else?
Name:  502-00 C2 Rear Suspension Diagram.gif
Views: 3554
Size:  30.9 KB

Much obliged, folks! Thank you!
Martin
Old 05-30-2016 | 06:49 PM
jj1
Rennlist Member

Depends. If the coilovers you purchase have shock mounts, than you just need longer rear toe arms I believe. You may already have them when you added springs? The factory shock mount is pretty robust. So if it's in good condition I'd leave it (part 2 rear, part 3 front). Only other pieces to consider are the thrust bearings and the rubber isolators (spring pads) that come into direct contact with the spring. That diagram isn't matching my memory of those parts so I can't tell you the part numbers. Thrust bearings should be fine but I like to replace spring pads *if* the coilovers you get use them. But it's all very dependent on what your buying.
Old 05-30-2016 | 07:01 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Thanks jj1.
I had pretty well taken for granted that strut mounts would be required as my suspension is clunky at times: Either rear or front, hard to tell, assuming they are the origin of the clunks.
Since the struts have to come out to replace those, given the expense and effort, I'm trying to think ahead of which options is best for me.
Old 05-30-2016 | 08:08 PM
captain pabst
Advanced

Hey in my experience with the Ohlins Road and track setup for carrera 2 (part# POS-M100)
I really wanted to have mine ready to just drop into the car but really didn't know what i needed as the ohlins manual was lacking a bit. I had a spare set of front top mounts but not the washers (#6) or the strut bearing and the rear top mounts are fairly expensive and the ones in my car had under 10k miles on them.
Top bolts are specific to the ohlins pieces and mine were 5mm too long on the front but a lathe fixed that up quick. The changed spec to a 60mm pin top from the 55mm pin top, I had new hardware old pin top.
Also there was a spacer missing on the rear sway bar end link mount Ohlins sent me these.
22 od, 10mm ID and 10mm length if any one ever needs to replicate

Besides that I love my setup. Spece'd drop is against a euro car btw. 15mm at recommended install.

as far as parts

front (no photo)
Reuse
#6 QTY 2
strut bearing (unsure of what number is it)

Unsure on #2
No on #10

Rear (photo attatched)
Reuse
#5 QTY 2
no #3
no #4
unsure #10
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2016 | 03:02 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Excellent Capt Pabst!
This helps a great deal.
Actually, the Öhlins are the coilovers that are on top of my list at this time.
Cheers!
Martin

Quick Reply: C2 Stock Suspension Switch to Coilovers - Which Parts are still required?