Sponsored by:

Coolant Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:42 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ohlins8990
ejdoherty911, Are you running a low temp stat?

Do most people here run 50/50 coolant/water? I suppose I could thin out the coolant a bit to improve the thermal conductivity, but I like knowing I'm well protected for the days its -15F in the winter.

Stock thermostat. I don't mess with the coolant, bad idea. I purchase OEM coolant, I wouldn't even consider anything else and follow the directions exactly as far as 50/50.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ejdoherty911, Are you running a low temp stat?

Do most people here run 50/50 coolant/water? I suppose I could thin out the coolant a bit to improve the thermal conductivity, but I like knowing I'm well protected for the days its -15F in the winter.

ohlins, don't think about the coolant like it is antifreeze. Always run the recommended mix as it is actually like buying concentrated (enter your product here). The water is to turn the concentrate back into full strength coolant.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:12 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tharbin
ohlins, don't think about the coolant like it is antifreeze. Always run the recommended mix as it is actually like buying concentrated (enter your product here). The water is to turn the concentrate back into full strength coolant.
Um - don't want to be a noodge, but 'coolant' is synonymous with antifreeze. The job of the coolant is to transfer engine heat to the radiator for dissipation. Since ethylene or polypropylene glycol is a lower thermal coef than water, using less in the mix will improve the cooling capacity of the 'coolant'.

For the OP, I would suggest the low temp T-stat. I put one in a few weeks ago, and it's a great investment. I do not track, but I was sitting in city traffic today with the AC on full and the temp around 90F and the gauge never got over the tick at 180. It used to sit between 190 and 200 on the gauge.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:08 AM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Um - don't want to be a noodge, but 'coolant' is synonymous with antifreeze. The job of the coolant is to transfer engine heat to the radiator for dissipation. Since ethylene or polypropylene glycol is a lower thermal coef than water, using less in the mix will improve the cooling capacity of the 'coolant'.

For the OP, I would suggest the low temp T-stat. I put one in a few weeks ago, and it's a great investment. I do not track, but I was sitting in city traffic today with the AC on full and the temp around 90F and the gauge never got over the tick at 180. It used to sit between 190 and 200 on the gauge.
Anti-freeze is not synonymous with coolant. It is true that anti-freeze can be used as a coolant and it is true that anti-freeze is a component of most coolant mixes but not all coolants (e.g. water) contain anti-freeze therefore they are not synonymous.

The point was that there is more to a coolant concentrate than just its anti-freezing properties and that each coolant concentrate is engineered to work best at specific concentrations.

Yes, I'm well aware that water has better thermal conductivity than anti-freeze mixes. When I was growing up it was common to add anti-freeze in the winter then flush the system and replace with water in the spring. There is more to modern coolants than merely conducting heat away from the heat source, they also contain corrosion inhibitors, possibly a component to lower the point of solidification appropriately, possibly some lubricants even coloring agents.

Thank you for your information to the OP about the low temperature thermostat. I have been looking for post that contain real-world results from their use. After a one or two hour ride at 75-80ish mph and then pulling into stop and go traffic when it is 110+ out frequently makes me a little nervous because, while the cooling system eventually catches up the system seems overwhelmed for the first few minutes after entering traffic.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:51 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me that the only things left are clogged tubes that are lowering coolant flow through the radiators.
This or some electric problem that makes the ignition timing late.
Doubt that it's the timing thou...
Dirt inside the radiators will reduce heat dissipation, even if the flow is still close to normal.

Mayby test with some coolant cleaner and a good flush first? If there is dirt/smudge in system, you should try to clean the whole system, not just the radiators.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:58 AM
996R
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here I do experience exactly the same issue as ohlins8990 describes. I live in Southern Alberta, so heat would not be the biggest issue. Also changed water pump, thermostat to 71C, new expansion tank cap.
still comes to a boil when idling too long. The last thing I can come up with is clogged radiator. Since its going from left to right(as I read somewhere), I'm about to change the left radiator(or both) as soon as I learned of more issues with the 996 radiators.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Stupid question, but can anyone provide some info about the "A/C hack" - I did google it

Thanks
Old 06-08-2016, 01:14 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...agnostics.html
Old 06-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Thank you Jimmy
Old 06-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Just double checked. Needle in the middle of the 0 on 180 is 217degrees according to the AC.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:21 AM
speed rII
Pro

From the link that Jimmy B posted:

"Forget about the climate control "diagnostics" - they are pretty much worthless.
I have both a PST2 and PIWIS tester and those climate control "diagnostics" never match up with the Porsche tool readings.
Buy the Durametric software/cable and get the same information Porsche gets with their expensive diagnostic tools." -Loren

I would do as Loren suggests
Old 06-14-2016, 05:24 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Except that the Durametric doesn't show engine temp for the '98/'99 model years.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:53 AM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, why is it that the a/c panel shows one temp, and the tools show another? Different sensor locations? Just trying to learn....
Old 06-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Car is a '99 C2 6 spd

Trying to get the car ready for track days and the coolant temperature is something that is still bothering me. I am usually in the low 90's for temp on the A/C hack when traveling on the highway, but when vehicle speed drops below 40 or so, the temp creeps up to 100-105C. All in mid 80's (F) ambient temperature.

I have a new thermostat, waterpump, new fan relays, and have pulled the bumper and cleaned the radiators. Both fans are working and on both speeds. Low is on from the get go since the A/C is on. High is coming on at 103C, but doesn't appear to do much as far as cooling the car down any. I had originally seen temps up to 108C before doing this work, so there has been some progress in the right direction, but the last thing I want is to overheat the car doing a track day.

Interesting to note is that 103C on the A/C hack is 210F on my OBD scan tool. Right now I am telling myself that I'd turn the car off if I got above 110C on the A/C hack or the needle crossed the mark between the 180F mark and the end of the gauge (looks to be 225F or so). Does anyone know what else I can be checking and what temperature does the car turn on the overheat light on the dash?
That's normal behavior. At highway speed air is being forced through the radiators and the coolant kept cool(er).

If you slow from highway speed to surface street speed without the air flow through the radiators the coolant temperature will rise and can rise until the radiator fans are switched on to at least low speed (by my observation at 212F).

High speed is switched on if the temperature climbs to 216F.

It can take some time before the temperature comes down. There is a lot of hot coolant and it is hot because the engine is hot and there is over 400lbs of hot engine.

Might add that every new MY one of the points Porsche makes is "better aerodynamics" and "better cooling".

Unfortunately with a '99 MY you are starting with a car that has the original cooling system which mainly differs in how efficiently air is routed through the radiator ducts and this is somewhat determined/affected by the aerodynamics of the car.

This aerodynamics is important.

I can tell you my 2003 Turbo can cruise down the highway -- and has -- in 118F ambient temperature at highway speeds (75mph -- this in AZ) and the coolant temperature gage needle doesn't get above the "180" hash mark. The A/C was on so the fans were on but the cabin was at a cool/comfortable 72F and the cabin fan was not runing very fast at all. The temperature is of course hotter than that being around the 200F. (The temp gage is a very crude/imprecise "instrument" and is really only good for knowing the engine is cold, warm, hot (up to temperature hot), and too hot.)

In even less heat -- 116F -- my 2002 Boxster's coolant temperature was "pegged" at 226F and both fans were running at high speed. I had to shut off the A/C because it was blowing hot air. Might note while the coolant temperature was at 226F it didn't get any higher. No warning lights came on and the engine was unaffected as that was years and hundreds of thousands of miles ago.

The above highlights the difference in aerodynamics and of course cooling capacity. The Turbo has 3 radiators, the Boxster just 2.

Be sure the radiator duct rubber sheeting is properly positioned. I've seen this sheeting move out of position but why I do not know. The passenger side of my Boxster has the sheeting hanging down into the opening in the bumper and I know this can and does affect the amount of air flow through that radiator duct.

I have in the past managed to when the car is hot from being run and then sitting in the sun force the sheeting back into place without having to take off the bumper cover. It takes some effort as it is pretty heavy/thick rubber.

With the fans running on low speed do you feel about the same amount of air being blown out from the fans' exhaust side? With the engine up to temperature is the air about the same temperature? You can get two relative inexpensive digital thermometers and tape them so each's temp probe is in the air flow and then check the temperature reading.

Just because a fan is running doesn't necessarily mean it is spinning as fast as it should be. I had one Turbo fan that was running yet the air flow from behind the fan was pathetic. The tech checked and found no fan motor stage errors but did note the fan motor was drawing lots more current than the fan motor on the other side and I had him replace the fan motor.

In another case -- earlier -- I found one fan not blowing any air at all. What had happened was the fan motor shaft had snapped. Tech said he had never seen a fan motor fail like this.

For tracking often times the track prohibits the use of anti-freeze. So many use a water wetter. This will not protect the engine from freezing. Whether it contains any anti-corrosion additives or additives to help lube the water pump seals I don't know.

I do not know if this water wetter is "better" at cooling then a proper blend of anti-freeze and water.

My advice would be to install a 3rd radiator.

I'm relucant to advise you to make aerodynamic changes but one change that has been proven to be helpful in the past with other cars is to install an air dam. This of course hangs down and forces air to flow around/over the car rather than under the car. This lowers the air pressure under the car and this lower pressure helps pull air through the radiator ducts.

But you want to be careful the air dam doesn't deflect and create lift.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:35 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
For tracking often times the track prohibits the use of anti-freeze. So many use a water wetter.
TIL there's such a thing as "water wetter."

Quick Reply: Coolant Temperature