996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Car is creaking/are the bushings bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Car is creaking/are the bushings bad?

So, the good news is I had the wheels painted gloss black; they look great. I'd post pics but my iPhoneis not talking to my PC. Go figure.

However, now that I have the car back, I notice a creaking sound when I back out of the driveway. Is it possible the car being on jack stands for a few days blew out bushings?
Old 05-25-2016, 02:36 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

properly positioned, car on stands should not harm bushings.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:41 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
So, the good news is I had the wheels painted gloss black; they look great. I'd post pics but my iPhoneis not talking to my PC. Go figure.

However, now that I have the car back, I notice a creaking sound when I back out of the driveway. Is it possible the car being on jack stands for a few days blew out bushings?
Shouldn't be an issue. Mine has been on jack stands about half the time I've owned. How many miles is on it? Have you changed out any of the suspension? And black wheels are
Old 05-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

If the bushings are already cracked/ripped, jacking up only one corner can cause them to totally fail but the creaking is usually a sign of a worn ball joint.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:08 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks for the feedback; here's a pic of the wheels. I like the results so much I may have to do the same treatment to the GT3's wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM
fmmoto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
Two things....I am experiencing the same creak and the occasional light "thunk" from time to time and it is going to the shop next week for the diagnosis (I don't have the technical ability to work on the car). Glad I saw the thread.

And best dog in the world (sorry 5CHN3LL); I have two Dachshunds myself and had one when I was a kid. Mine are probably not as smart as yours but I still love them!
Old 05-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fmmoto
Two things....I am experiencing the same creak and the occasional light "thunk" from time to time and it is going to the shop next week for the diagnosis (I don't have the technical ability to work on the car). Glad I saw the thread.

And best dog in the world (sorry 5CHN3LL); I have two Dachshunds myself and had one when I was a kid. Mine are probably not as smart as yours but I still love them!
Curious to hear what they come up with. I'm hearing the same, but it just came from a small service and the tech said nothing wrong..?

Quick Reply: Car is creaking/are the bushings bad?