Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tires: Bridgestone S03 or Contisport Contact 2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:50 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by c70Pete

I would be tempted to try the PZero Rosso if I hear the flat-spoting issue has been solved.
Please do not conclude that the pzero flat spotting issue has been solved, as I was not aware of the further classification (Rosso, Gialo, etc.). I do not know which I have, as my car is back in storage , and I won't see it for a few days (perhaps weeks).
Old 10-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by phil996cab99
Please do not conclude that the pzero flat spotting issue has been solved, as I was not aware of the further classification (Rosso, Gialo, etc.). I do not know which I have, as my car is back in storage , and I won't see it for a few days (perhaps weeks).

Hey Phil,

I don't believe I concluded that the flatspotting issue has been solved... I know it is an issue but I certainly have no conclusions about it... especially on the Rosso model which I have never tried.

regards,
Peter
Old 10-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't believe I concluded that the flatspotting issue has been solved... I know it is an issue but I certainly have no conclusions about it... especially on the Rosso model which I have never tried.
What flat spotting issue? I have had dozens of PZero Asimmetrico sets on various cars with no such problems. Flat spotting is cause by parking under inflated tires on a hard surface for prolonged times. This can happen with any tire.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:04 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Hi Viken,

what tyre pressures do you recommend for a 996 with 17" rims... just curious to see what your running them at... I've heard a ton of complaints about flatspotting with PZeros... maybe we are ALL running then at too low a psi???

let me know please.

regards,
Peter
Old 10-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

what tyre pressures do you recommend for a 996 with 17" rims... just curious to see what your running them at... I've heard a ton of complaints about flatspotting with PZeros... maybe we are ALL running then at too low a psi???
I would say 32 and 35 is perfect for aggressive street driving and occasional track driving. However, that might be too low for occasional driving if you are concerned about flat spots.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Viken
I would say 32 and 35 is perfect for aggressive street driving and occasional track driving. However, that might be too low for occasional driving if you are concerned about flat spots.

Thanks,

interestingly, under the front hood Porsche recommends 36 and 36 hmmm... makes you wonder

I'll try 34 and 36 just to keep the pressure up there... although with this change of weather up here in Toronto there must be a pressure drop within the tire itself....

does anybody know how much pressure drop is associated with a 17" Porsche tire when there is say a 10 and 20 degrees Celcius change in temperature?

Peter
Old 10-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Since we are talking about of round Pirelli's... check out the following thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...161#post825161

cheers,

Peter
Old 10-20-2003, 10:12 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I will say this. the problem with the assimetricos is not flat spotting. However they do something wierd when you drive them extremely hard without a nice cool off. The go out of balance it seems. I dont' know if they move on the rim because of heat or what it is attributed to but it is annoying! It can be alleviated by driving in a straight line for about 1 mile or a little longer after some seriousl canyon killing. I would have to agree with Pete though the new s02-A's are a great compromise. so3's are too heavy, contintentals are too heavy and don't grip well. It really amounts to what you want. If you want best wet and dry then so2-a's. Personally I give a bit on wet and go pilot sport sp2's as noted before. but I am sick.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:35 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S03's are heavy? SPR Pilot sports don't even come close to the S03(IMO) having owned both tires. As for S03s squirming thats a kroc of _hit!! I've pushed those S03's to the edge and back many times and have never felt squirmish or anything unnerving!!! C70 pete what type of driving have you done on S03's or Pzeros, it seems as though you're painting broad strokes pertaining to certain tires! Every test and survey ever performed has always ranked the S03 as the King of the hill!!! Check the Tire racks owner survey and see for yourself. Also pilot sports get real greasy after only a few hard laps!!!!!
Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by jsonnen
Every test and survey ever performed has always ranked the S03 as the King of the hill!!! Check the Tire racks owner survey and see for yourself. Also pilot sports get real greasy after only a few hard laps!!!!!
King of the what? LOL! For what it's worth, tires do NOT perform the same way on different cars. What may be the king of the hill on a BMW may be the bottom of it on a P-car. Just because you liked the way they performed on your 944, it doesn't mean they are as good on a 911 with completely different weight distribution and dynamics. The S-03 is just about as crappy as performance tires get, as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Point taken!! But if you check, you will find overall on many different types of vehicles the S03 is the best all-round tire period!!! Besides how long do tires last on the back of your 996?? Maybe 20,000 miles??? If that??
Old 10-20-2003, 10:50 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Also that squirmish feeling C70pete is talking about, probably has something to do with the motor being behind the rear axle...
Old 10-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by jsonnen
Point taken!! But if you check, you will find overall on many different types of vehicles the S03 is the best all-round tire period!!! Besides how long do tires last on the back of your 996?? Maybe 20,000 miles??? If that??
There is nothing to check. There are several "maximum performance" tires that surpass the S-03 in every way. I don't read reviews which are mostly biased for a reason or another. I go out and place my butt in the butt dyno.

BTW, what does tire wear have to do with performance? Are you saying that longevity is a good thing?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:12 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Over 7,271,695 miles have been driven on S03's , about 1,000,000 more than its nearest competitor and its ranked 95% vs best in its category!!! Hmmm is Vikens butt more telling than 7,000,000 + miles of hard data?? I don't think so!!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 01:09 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

i have been quite satisfied with my conti sport contact 2's for nearly 20k miles. my p zero asyms were hopeless in the rain and pirelli refused to replace a tire when a bleb formed on a sidewall with NO evidence of damage to the wheel or the rest of the tire.

i have no experience with the so3's. they won"t fit my c4s anyway.

just stay away from pirelli's. poor quality control and non existent customer service. pirelli sucks!

Quick Reply: Tires: Bridgestone S03 or Contisport Contact 2?