20,000 trouble-free miles in a year

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by luvacatfight
Hello all.

Almost a year ago, bought a 1999 911 from the delightful folks at Napleton Porsche in Westmont, IL.
What would be the "pro's" and "cons" in your valued opinion?
I guess they weren't that "delightful" because you're considering another dealer instead, if you want to go with the same paranoia of IMS plus bore cylinders on the 997, man it's a free country!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
The "con" would be moving from a known good vehicle to one you are unfamiliar with. If you like what you have, I'm not sure why you'd move to something else...there must be a reason you're considering it. Is it the 997's more thoroughly appointed interior?

Re: being overpowered - turbos only make power when you wind them up. When you're putting around town, the difference would be negligible. Once the turbo spin up, you make more power - but unlike a supercharged car, you have complete control over how much power the car makes. Shift early, and it won't feel much different than the NA 996. Shift close to redline, and you'll make the jump from misdemeanor to felony in just a few seconds. This is one of the reasons it's so fun to watch new Turbo owners at autocross...the ones with no throttle control spin out over and over and never really figure out why.

I have a vacation shack in the mountains; that's when I really wish I had a turbo - turbocharged cars do much better at altitude than NA cars...
It's time for you to join the dark side

Quick Reply: 20,000 trouble-free miles in a year