Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Flat tire on highway- what to replace it with?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:52 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,039 Posts

To learn more about the importance of "grip", you must watch the first half of this video, then go purchase the correct tire.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:58 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mchopra
No, I think you misunderstood me, the Michelins are what the dealer recommended when I replaced the tires about 18 months ago. The Michelins are on the car at present. I just wanted some advice on whether I should go with the same tires, or more affordable options if they last about mileage. The dealer asked me what tires I want to put on the car, and I said that I'll get back with him. He will order and install whatever is appropriate for the car. Not too many choices though.
Why buy your tires from the dealer? They are just going to charge you more that you can get tires from somewhere like TireRack and they will ship them to a local tire shop for mounting and balancing

Unless the dealer will match online pricing, you are just throwing $$ away
Old 04-28-2016, 05:27 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Continental ExtremeContact DWs on mine and have been very pleased with their performance and wear.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:41 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Been running the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 Pole Positions on mine and have been very happy with them as all-season tires. I found the Michelins that I had on before rather noisy.

Originally Posted by alpine003
Oh, and never listen to the dealer.
+1
Old 04-28-2016, 06:51 PM
NY_Swede
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mharrison
I have Continental ExtremeContact DWs on mine and have been very pleased with their performance and wear.
I was actually looking at those - a buddy of mine has them on his E55 and raves about them

HOWEVER like a previous poster said, it doesnt look like they are offered with 295 width

Are you running 19" rims, or did you play with the tire size? Just curious
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Kjan4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, gotcha.

I think you are going to have to decide if you're willing to sacrifice ultimate grip for some flexibility. What I mean by that is you mentioned you don't drive it in the snow but that doesn't mean you don't drive in cold weather.

Some of these max performance summer tires do very poorly in the cold and can be dangerous below certain temps like 40 degrees for example.

You should also specify if you're willing to sacrifice overall grip for better wet weather/rain performance.

I think you'll be able to get more accurate tire recommendations for your priority/environment/driving style if you are more specific about your needs.
This. I was also going to suggest Potenzas (RE-11's and RE-71R's) because I have had great experience with them, and actually prefer them to the preferred-by-many Michelin PSS's. However, both the Potenzas I listed take a long time to warm up, and are basically useless when cold. Speaking from experience here
Old 04-29-2016, 05:30 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Kjan4
This. I was also going to suggest Potenzas (RE-11's and RE-71R's) because I have had great experience with them, and actually prefer them to the preferred-by-many Michelin PSS's. However, both the Potenzas I listed take a long time to warm up, and are basically useless when cold. Speaking from experience here

For cold weather duty and snow, I just don't understand why anyone would use anything other than a set of tires made specifically for winter conditions like a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks. I simply would not depend on any ultra-high performance tire, by any manufacturer, to do winter work as if it would in warmer months... it simply does not make any sense to me.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've read and experienced, the rear tires on these cars seem to wear at nearly twice the rate of the front tires. Since you noted that the nail was located in one of your rear tires, I would consider just replacing the rear tires with new Michelins (to match the front tires). Do you really need to replace the front tires?

FWIW, when I brought my car in to the dealer for routine service in December my advisor noted that my C4S' rear tires needed replacement. Even they offered to replace only the two rears (without also doing the fronts).

That said, if your front tires truly need to be replaced then I would seriously consider a set of the Sumitomos. Do some research on them. In my opinion, they're a great tire (regardless of cost). It just so happens they cost a fraction of the price of the Michelins. I wouldn't dismiss them as simply "great for the price." Besides, the initial investment is so small (relatively) that even if you did end up disliking them, you could just pull them off, sell them on eBay and buy a set of Michelins for a relatively minimal loss.

Just don't mix and match tire brands/models. Good luck with whatever you choose!

-Eric
Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleNutz
For cold weather duty and snow,
I actually put these in two categories. For example, my Continental DWS does fine in cold temps and even though it's rated for snow, they're really not that optimal compared to my Blizzaks.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:19 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

I actually put these in two categories. For example, my Continental DWS does fine in cold temps and even though it's rated for snow, they're really not that optimal compared to my Blizzaks.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Nanking Sport NS-20, 225 and 265 x 18 on MY02 5 spoke....$374 for the set (delivered) from Discount Tire. Haven't been able to slide them yet....but I don't drive like that anymore.... and I don't use the car in the rain or snow.

Quick Reply: Flat tire on highway- what to replace it with?