996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 As A daily?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:42 AM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

On the one hand, I don't see why not. It does fine in traffic, though I'm not sure I'd do a 30+ mile commute regularly with the manual. The automatic one should be totally livable in the day-to-day, nothing about the 997 Tip I drove suggested it would be harder to daily than, say, a 3 series.

This is just me personally, but if I were to buy another car, I'd want something relatively different from what I already had. (Which is how I ended up with a 996 instead of an E39 M5). With that said, I know a lot of people that have multiples of the car they love, and if the 996 is that car for you, then you should do it.

The most convincing argument I can see against is the fatigue factor. If you already own a 996, would spending commuting hours in a 996 lessen your enjoyment of it? If you think Cab/RWD/6MT vs Coupe/AWD/5AT is enough of a form factor difference to render that a non-factor, then that's your answer.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Eviltangents
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DD my 996.2 C2 6MT.

Bought it with 97XXX on the odometer and I've just turned over 107XXX this week. So far I've done nothing more than gas and oil changes in terms of maintenance costs. (And a sidemarker bulb I think.) I've found it to be both comfortable and practical as an all purpose car thus far. It's also great for breaking up the monotony of the commute itself, since every interaction I have with the car makes me pretty happy. For me, the joy of driving doesn't only involve going fast; it is also about the simple actions of operating the vehicle and performing the rudimentary tasks.

Finally, I would also say, there's a sense of freedom that comes from operating a high-mileage 996. You know it's not going to be worth much anyway and it remains one of the best driving experiences that's affordable to the common folks. Why not take advantage of that and turn your daily commute into something more than just a chore?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:57 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Spork
It's $600/mo to do what ever I like with. I'd be paying cash so no loan payments. No fuel costs either as I have a company gas card.

So say I have 150K miles on it after a couple years and the allowance has pretty much paid for the car. Would the car be worthless then or still be a decent vehicle that is basically free at that point?

I'm also thinking about a Corvette (I've owned quite a few of them) and LSX motors can go 200 + K miles with no problem.
Porsche, Corvette, etc as commuter vehicles, huh?.

Why short change yourself?... go all the way and get a Bugatti Veyron, LaFerrari, Lamborghini Aventador, or Porsche 918.

Just tell the boss it's too insure you'll be on time for work.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I've used mine as a DD for about 15 months now and the only complaint I have is that I get tired of the 6 speed manual in rush hour traffic. It's just more work and not relaxing. Couple of times I've thought about selling for that reason, but have never moved on it.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, thanks for all the great advice (I think!).

So conflicting opinions here but I understand a lot of the reasoning. A second beater DD 996 takes away from the freshness of driving my super nice Cabriolet weekend car.

And, it's not necessarily the best financial decision although, I'm set up pretty well in that area so it's not like I really need the money. On the other hand, I didn't get this way by being foolish and extra funds in my retirement account certainly doesn't hurt anything.

While the $600 could be applied towards an auto loan, I am completely debt free and would kind of like to stay that way.

I think for now I'll just roll in my GC and drive the Porsche I have now on weekends.

That way every time I drive it (like I did last night) it will be like driving it for the first time and will continue to put a smile on my face.
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2016, 09:07 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Absolutely... drive beat up cheap cars for daily drivers and save the Porsche for those special drives and dates and such... you'll appreciate it more. Don't wanna wear out a good thang!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 PM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Absolutely... drive beat up cheap cars for daily drivers and save the Porsche for those special drives and dates and such... you'll appreciate it more. Don't wanna wear out a good thang!
+1
Old 04-22-2016, 11:24 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

That's the great thing about RL. You can get a wide variety of opinions, maybe even some angles you hadn't thought of, then just go with the ones that resonate most with you.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 996 gets driven 4-5 days a week, but I am also running into a lot of little maintenance issues as I approach 75,000 miles. I feel like once I spend another couple grand fixing odd and ends it is going to run forever.... atleast it feels like it is going to run forever
Old 04-25-2016, 12:45 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've driven mine everyday since buying it. Have some updates and maintenance done, more on the way and a full inspection downtown next week. Going to get it right and monitor carefully, maybe a performance mod or two along the way . Really like the 18" 5stars, Brembos and drilled rotors. It's such a clean look I can't help but drive it. Smoother than anything else I've driven at speed.

The reason I think it will get potentially 10k mi/yr is road trips. It's a wonderful car for a day's drive imo, already did one long weekend and it was a pleasure. Those type of trips will be more than a short work commute.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:12 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

$ investment vs enjoyment
Seems like such a simple equation.. Each persons result will vary
Old 04-27-2016, 02:15 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

@Gordon9898 - Investment? I understand the broader dynamic of 993 / 964 / 930 / etc. values, just curious if you're anticipating 996 appreciation, what's the angle?

Installed the 997 shifter tonight. Awe some.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:03 AM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I daily drive in L.A. with my manual and I love it. It depends on the person.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 AM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dd mine spring through late fall (typically Apr-Nov) in Michigan, aside from our HORRIBLE road's (pot holes everywhere and speed bumps, for lack of a better turn in the middle of the road pretty much everywhere) it has been great. I now have a e90 x-drive for winter months and dread driving that, not sure if I'm spoiled from dd'ing such a great handling, light weight & light steering car (BMW is so hard to parallel park due to the overly heavy steering) - I actually hate that car. I sold a CTT for the 3 just to save gas in the winter months, although it gets 25+ I do not think I've disliked a car as much as that Pos.

So in shorten form, I love DD'ing the 996 and hope to get a 997 to do the same in a couple of years once the 996 gets higher mileage (120 ish), then do something very fun to it. As far as the 997 goes, it has to be a 6 sp only with factory aero and sport seats are a must. - Yes I drive in rush hour.

Last edited by williamr91; 04-27-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Not e39...e90
Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Michigan style pot holes....

Quick Reply: 996 As A daily?