Sponsored by:

Paddle shifter install on tiptronic - write up

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 PM
Vince124
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince124
That shouldn't be difficult at all. Take a look at the red arrow in the below pic; that is a plug that comes apart. The right side of the plug goes out of the steering wheel to the transmission. The left side comes from the Tip buttons, so splice into there (check the 911UK.com link I posted above, as he did it that way). The only other thing to consider is that you should have grounding points inside the new steering wheel for the existing wiring.
For clarification, let me also add that the 7 or so wires you see going into that plug in the center right is actually plugged into the hub on the steering column... that plug is actually going through a hole in the steering wheel.
With the exception of the tip button wiring, there aren't any wires in the steering wheel itself.

Last edited by Vince124; 04-15-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Kjan4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For clarification, let me also add that the wiring you see going into that plug in the center right is actually plugged into the hub on the steering column... that plug is actually going through a hole in the steering wheel.
With the exception of the tip button wiring, there aren't any wires in the steering wheel itself.
Awesome. I appreciate the photo and description. That certainly boosts my confidence level when it comes to getting around to this wheel swap and being sure that it will work. Now the only problem is finding a silver D-shaped wheel that will accept my 996 airbag. I really can't imagine a black wheel would look good with a silver interior.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:57 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Now you can shift your car 4 different way ALL AT ONCE!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Vince124
Advanced

Originally Posted by Imo000
Now you can shift your car 4 different way ALL AT ONCE!
lol, I count six ways.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

lol, I count six ways.
Sweet baby Jeebus!!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:34 PM
MasonWilson
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

[QUOTE=Vince124;13201058]Here is a pic of the wiring that needed to be done. Essentially I cut the wires for the Tip buttons and used three butt connectors to splice in the wires from the paddles; each paddle has a power wire and a ground wire. The first splice connects the yellow wire from the downshift paddle shifter to the yellow/brown wire; the second connects the blue wire from the upshift paddle shifter to the brown/red wire and the third connects the two black–ground wires (one from each the paddles) to the existing ground wire. After this pic was taken, I realized that the original cut ground wire from the Tip buttons needed to be spliced in also, so there should be four black wires going into that particular

The downshift paddle has a blue wire and the upshift has a yellow wire, so what hooks to what???
Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 PM
Vince124
Advanced

[QUOTE=MasonWilson;13527332]
Here is a pic of the wiring that needed to be done. Essentially I cut the wires for the Tip buttons and used three butt connectors to splice in the wires from the paddles; each paddle has a power wire and a ground wire. The first splice connects the yellow wire from the downshift paddle shifter to the yellow/brown wire; the second connects the blue wire from the upshift paddle shifter to the brown/red wire and the third connects the two black–ground wires (one from each the paddles) to the existing ground wire. After this pic was taken, I realized that the original cut ground wire from the Tip buttons needed to be spliced in also, so there should be four black wires going into that particular

The downshift paddle has a blue wire and the upshift has a yellow wire, so what hooks to what???
Exactly as quoted above:
- yellow wire from the downshift paddle shifter to the yellow/brown wire
- blue wire from the upshift paddle shifter to the brown/red wire
Old 03-29-2018, 07:45 PM
slomarsh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent documentation on your project! Thanks so much for posting this how to.
Now that time has passed are you satisfied with the MB paddles? Any problems? Did you install extenders or find them unnecessary.
One other question re the screw which holds the paddle. Does it screw into plastic or metal on the back side of the paddle? Wondering how delicate that mount point may be.

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2019, 08:55 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Can these be added to a non-tip steering wheel? i.e remove the tip steering wheel and put a non-tip steering wheel in a tip car? The MB paddle shifters install with no additional parts?

SORRY just saw post 15 which explains it!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:22 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread, but does anyone fancy a side project of making one for me? I'd be happy to pay. I suck at DIY and I know I'd screw it up and wire reverse in first
Old 06-04-2019, 03:58 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Dont be intimidated. It an easy mod. I did this to my Mustang and the Porsche. Just need a steady hand with the dremel.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it were computer code, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I guess I'm being a little lazy as I'm barely home - flying between Dallas and Vegas.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
if it were computer code, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I guess I'm being a little lazy as I'm barely home - flying between Dallas and Vegas.
Take the wheel without the airbag and a dremell with you and work on it in the hotel room.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Take the wheel without the airbag and a dremell with you and work on it in the hotel room.
Yup - that easy.

I would get a new wheel without the tip switches as you won't need them anymore. Then keep that as you good wheel and you can practice on the tip wheel with your dremel.

If you really want someone to do it for you, it would be expensive, especially if you don't supple the parts. You are paying someone for their time, and I don't think anyone would charge minimum wage. Just not worth it.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 PM
slomarsh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been holding off too. Seems a bit scary. But it should make shifting a whole lot more fun sans the buttons.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifter install on tiptronic - write up