996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Youth and Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 18 I had to buy my mothers home from her, becuase she was too ill to support herself (lung cancer). I also incurred all the other bills; i.e., medical, car insurance, etc etc. I'm 23 now, and can tell you that even though I'm a pretty young homeowner (with an appreciating asset in my name) I'm very , very tired of the fulltime school/fulltime work hustle, and the lingering carrot of fullfilment that's dangling in front of me every morning. I had to put off my racing aspirations, my educational plans were derailed, etc, etc. ( I could have easily been in a nice new 996, or maybe a used TT).
My 2cents... if you've got the means to apprehend your desires at a yound age, and in good health, don't put it off, just use discretion and don't over leverage because you truely don't know when you'll find yourself muttering "...the good ole days..."

Regards.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:25 PM
Valgus
AutoX

bought my 996 at 23 and i'm very glad i did. i then bought a condo at 25, all with my own money. if i hadn't bought the 996 when i did i might never have done it. it felt like the right time for me to do it and then i saved up for a house and bought that. sometimes being young and foolish is fun!

Ok Teflon Jones, tell us (if you don't mind) what you did between the ages of 18-23 that enabled you to earn the money for a 996. I think that is the idea behind this whole thread. I hope that my jealousy isn't too obvious.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:54 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Valgus

Ok Teflon Jones, tell us (if you don't mind) what you did between the ages of 18-23 that enabled you to earn the money for a 996. I think that is the idea behind this whole thread. I hope that my jealousy isn't too obvious.
i went to college, got an internship with a good company, then taught myself everything i could about e-commerce. at 23 i switched jobs and got a 35% pay raise which was just enough to afford a lease on my car. i grew up without very much money, paid for most of my college education myself, and other than a little help from my parents for college, i've paid all my own bills since i was 18. in order to earn this kind of money this young i've had to work a ton of hours in a super high stress job. sometimes i used to work 6 weeks at a stretch without a day off! and jealousy is a good thing, it makes you aspire to be more than you are!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:11 PM
VORLAND
Instructor

Interesting thread....

Im 27 yrs old, single, no kids and freelancing.

Never thought I would have an Audi TT and a Porsche 996 at the same time.

Its also funny that before the Porsche when I had the TT only I told people that I will get a Ferrari 360 in blood red one day and they laughed. Now they agree with me

I suppose I owe what I have to a lucky break 4 years ago in IT when I got my first contract. It was really low level work but I used it as a springboard onto better and bigger things both work wise and car wise
Old 11-30-2003, 09:30 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ZBlue996Kam
Collegeville! I'm up there all the time, visiting my girlfriend at Ursinus.
I've never seen your car, but keep an eye out for a guards red 944
Old 12-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Work hard and you get what you deserve! I am 25 next week and have started two companies that are in the car field so I have many contacts in the Porsche world. I am not married (yet) and plan my budget very carefully. It is all about making choices and if you make the right ones you can have fun toys! I consider myself very lucky. Best wishes - Jay Gratton

Quick Reply: Youth and Porsches