Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BostonMarkC
Age does not always breed intelligence.
I agree.

But objects are not an indicator of IQ. More likely, they are an indicator of a persons luck with the parents they wind up with (or their husbands).......
Old 10-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

BTW, I didn't mean to suggest that anyone was a moron or less intelligent than anyone else.

One can be selfish &/or self indulgent and be very bright (just making a clarification).

Just prior to getting married @ 20 (a hundred years ago), I emptied my bank account for a 1/3 interest in an original '27 Pontiac coupe, two buds & I were going to put a Buick V8 in. I thought I'd never be able to do it married.

Was I right - yes. Was I immature & self indulgent - yes.

I never saw the coupe again after I was hitched. I got whipped early.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:19 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Originally posted by Torags

Just prior to getting married @ 20 (a hundred years ago)
Woah, you are 120 years old?

j/k
Old 10-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Baron009
Pro

About being selfish...
I figure you require a car in todays world and $25 000CAD can get you something practical and reliable enough for getting you where you need to go, so I've made a commitment to make a minimum donation to charity of 5% whatever I spend over that $25 000 mark. Ie if I get a $100400 996 I'd make a donation equaling 5% of the $75400 I'm simply spending for my own pelasure to charity.
5% isn't all that much, but I was trying to make reasonable goal. I think of it as "God's tax"...
Old 10-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BostonMarkC
Woah, you are 120 years old?

j/k
I sure feel like it a lot of days. I just lie about my age.

Five percenter, you are truly noble. May the wind be at your back along the journey.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

It turns out that behavior that can be characterized as young and foolish, is actually quite appropriate for the young and foolish. As a person who has attained age, and I would like to think, some wisdom associated with all that experience, I can say for certain that age has made me..........older. When cars are no longer important things in my life, I will probably part ways with them, that does not mean they ultimately were not important things in my life, only that they are not at that point in time.

Life is a compendium of experiences, few get the privilege of experiencing Porsche. Enjoy it.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

"Life is a compendium of experiences, few get the privilege of experiencing Porsche. Enjoy it."

Well said Gretch.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:43 PM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh.. The well meaning wisdom of a 20 something...

A friend of mine made an offhand comment ending a statement concerning my car, "when cars were important to him". This senior guy has prostate cancer, his wife terminal cancer and his knees are giving out - preventing him from playing tennis (which is a large part of his life).

This is important. Trappings of success (objects like cars/diamonds) appear important to lots of folks, but when you get down to the short hairs - they're not. That's probably something a dad would say.

Personally, I like my cars because of the thrills and joys of the performance (the bike is better for that tho').

Some of these forums are for opinions (like this topic) others tech help, I have no remorse & make no apologies....
i think its time to bring in the yin yang.

so is it fine if cocaine use was legal and we just did it occasionally? Cuz we have to live life to the fullest is the vibe i'm getting from the discussion and from what i'm told crack is a irresistible high. i hear that it also makes you perform better intercourse, so that justifies the risks involved of using it just like the joys of driving fast cars.

i told my wife our goals haven't yet been accomplished as i haven't made money work for me, and she told me her goal is finished as she's a successful mom of 3 kids she brought to the world. so you're right everyone has a different definition of success but that yin yang will tell you that the true key is balance and happiness.

btw, the opinions i'm against are those criticisms about individuals people know very little about. when my grandpa used to hear someone talking about another person he always used to say, "why do you keep talking about that person... if he's not important to you then don't talk about him"
Old 10-21-2003, 12:12 AM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

this site is sweeeeet~ I thought I had to pay some $ to join and post, but I found out that it was because I clicked some wrong buttons to register that I couldn't post.

anyways, glad to be here... i'm parkman... i'm an Alcoholic... j/k

28, attorney, washington d.c. Love cars, can't afford any more tickets... currently in driver improvement school for getting a 75 on a 55 wreckless driving ticket~ hmm... lived in the u.s. for 7 years now, love it. have suped up every car that I've owned including... hyundai scoupe turbo (245hp), hyundai tiburon (custom turbo 215hp), ssangyong korando turbo diesel, daewoo chairman (all back in Korea)... mitsubishi eclipse gs, nissan 300zx 2+2 non-turbo, acura rl 3.5, nissan 300zx twin turbo (410hp still own it, stillen modified), volvo s70 turbo (never dynoed but modified), and now this baby~

My two friends in this area introduced me into the world of pcars, and i'm loving it every day. just hope it lasts forever! gotta drive safely The one friend that I did the recent headlight and tail light install with has owned virtually every fast car ever made including a twin turbo viper gts, a supercharged viper gts, a 1000rwhp toyota supra, a 600hp 300zx, a 380hp rx7, etc... the other friend is a car fanatic who has owned 2 dinan supercharged m3's, and currently owns a 540i, a e320, and a c4 with gt3 aero kit and highly modified. i'll be posting pics soon of everyone's cars. By the way, there's this store literally right behind my house called intersport that works on pcars and they do all sorts of crazy stuff to these cars so i'll be posting pics from there too~ my best friend owns a tuning shp in the same complex and he does all sorts of crazy stuff to jap tuner cars. his url is www.vertexmotorsports.com. I suggest you check out his store if you live in the dc area and tell him that parkman sent you. he gives reallllllly good deals.

hope to be here for a long long time...
Old 10-21-2003, 12:15 AM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

welcome parkman...enjoy the ride on the rennlist board!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ruey220
i think its time to bring in the yin yang.
btw, the opinions i'm against are those criticisms about individuals people know very little about. when my grandpa used to hear someone talking about another person he always used to say, "why do you keep talking about that person... if he's not important to you then don't talk about him"
I don't know where cocain came from?? But since the subject came up, speed can be addictive. Ask me and I'll tell you it is. Some like my bride will tell you it's terminal addiction. She might be right, time will tell.

I spoke with Arneson a few years ago. He invented Arneson pool sweeps and has one of the fastest boats on the water (130mph +). He was in his 70's; The sign he had on his display said, "How fast to I have to go to meet my maker". Pretty cryptic, huh.

I didn't mean to personize my comments, but I'll tell you I'm old enough to be your grandfather and I stick with, buy real estate. I think you're right balance is the key.

Old 10-21-2003, 06:13 AM
Ash996
Advanced

Hey Parkman,

I live in Mclean too. I know Steve at Vertex as we went to Junior high, high school, and college together. Not sure how much work he does on Porsches (or german cars in general) but he is definately cleaning up on the japaneses stuff. I would avoid intersport. Thier prices and expertise I have found suspect, but if you have a connect then go for it. Unfortunately I wil be moving away from Mclean (I have been there since 88) and starting over in the Middle East. i am trying to take my porsche with me but gotta do some calculations to see if it is feasible. Congrats on the new car, I hope you got a good deal from HBL, they are tough to bargain with.

Ashraf
Old 10-21-2003, 10:58 AM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

hey guys~ thanks for the warm welcome.

Ashraf, we should meet up sometime. me and two of my buddies all live in mclean and all enjoy tuning cars. they both have carrera's one is a c2 and the other is a c4 both with aero kits, suspension, etc... pm me if you're interested.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:24 AM
lear60man
Advanced

33 years young. I bought my first "real car" a 1981 911SC coupe at 27 in 1997. Sold it for a 1997 Jag (mistake) in 2000. 2001 sold it for a 91 C2 Cab. Sold it for a 1995 Lotus Esprit S4 in 2002(great car). Sold it last week for a 99 996. I also have a 94 Jetta that is my airport/Home Depot car. Grew up in a log house in the mountains of Utah and waited tables and rented skiis to pay for flight school. Earned every F***ing cent I have. I see 20 year olds running around in high end cars here in L.A. and I know that I wasn't a member of the lucky sperm club. Big deal. I have a great life because I get the satisfaction of knowing I got where I am from hard work and keeping my head high. When the majority of these people get out into the real world they get chewed up by people who know what it is like to be hungry. There is always someone else who has a nicer car better house and more $$$$ in the bank. The best we can do is be proud of what we have earned and respect what others have given to us. The soap box is put away
Old 11-28-2003, 02:36 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

i bought my 996 at 23 and i'm very glad i did. i then bought a condo at 25, all with my own money. if i hadn't bought the 996 when i did i might never have done it. it felt like the right time for me to do it and then i saved up for a house and bought that. sometimes being young and foolish is fun!

Quick Reply: Youth and Porsches