Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Example 2:

Sold stock in feb 2000 to buy the C4. The stock I sold is now worth about $5k, car is worth a bit more...........
Old 10-16-2003, 11:00 AM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Torags
Examples of immature over indulgence.

Buy real estate and learn to live with an appreciating asset.

I'll bet this will get some flamin'.......
This deserves some flamin'...

We already own a home (our second - made 100K on the first one in 2 years), are partners in a commercial real estate venture, and have a formidable securities portfolio.

Not everyone who is young is stupid and spendthrift. Some of us just want to drive the car that we always dreamed of while we can still enjoy it.

That said, I do know quite a few people my age who have $50K+ cars and live with their parents or rent an apartment.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Curves4S
Advanced

I have my own home but i do know other guys just a little older than me that have $160k+ cars that don't own their own place. One is in the process of purchasing one though. One drives a 550 Maranello and the other has a 360 Spyder (25yrs old and on his 27th car)
Old 10-17-2003, 03:29 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

when i got my new c4s, co-workers asked, "how can you afford that, i can't?" most morons don't even realize how much their 3 kids costs them...i have none, therefore i drive a Porsche and travel and do lots of fun things none of my children bearing friends can... my mom told me when i was a teenager...you either have kids or you have things...
Old 10-17-2003, 04:07 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you're right.

I have 3 kids, drive a 996, and we travel.

Without the kids, I would have been tracking and racing a cup car in addition to the street 996.

However, I would choose my kids over a cup car.
Old 10-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Baron009
Pro

Wow some nice stories here. I've been interested in cars, particularly exotic ones since probably before I could talk so having a nice, reliable, sporty car is sort of a priority. Right now I'm looking into getting the best example of a 944na that I can find, since thats the most I can afford - being 20yo and in university. I'm going start saving up for a 911 as soon as I can though and I hope to get one before I turn 30 if all goes well. Of course this all depends on whether I go for my PhD or not and how soon I begin working full time.

Maybe so, but perhaps we just have different priorities. While I'm young I want a nice car, when I get older and have the time to settle down then I'll want a house.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:33 PM
noony
Racer

Originally posted by Curves4S
(25yrs old and on his 27th car)
jeez....
Old 10-19-2003, 04:16 PM
ruey220
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy real estate and learn to live with an appreciating asset.

I'll bet this will get some flamin'.......

i agree with you somewhat...i made close to a million at the age of 22 in the stock market a few years ago paid cash for a 00 996 and added 20k worth of mods to it spending over 100k I didn't even sweat when i signed the check. Thought since i was so ahead i can spare the extra money for a car but should have kept my discipline that allowed me to make a fortune on the market. i missed an opportunity to buy a house in a new development in SF for $550k with 110k down payment. 6 months later after the house was built it was on the market for $750k for bid. I could have bought the house first and made another easy 200k also. I was also foolish to be so in a hurry to get my first porsche that I spent so much on the Porsche for the amount I spent on the car plus upgrades I could have got a turbo 1 year later.

However, I disagree that you say it is being immature. Sure we can discuss how people bought their porsche at such a young age,but the bottom line is that it is their money and not our business or doesn't matter to us. Others would always criticize that they had the answer how money should have been spent, but remember to yourself, if you were doing everything perfect financially, from what I've seen through individuals that are truly financially independent, they don't care how other people spend their money since they lack insecurity that leads others to question how does he have one and why do I not have one?, or comments like "man o man, if I had 100k I would have bought a house instead, that guy is stupid." hmmm notice how the comments say if "I had."

Mysterys only come to life when its something you never experienced or witnessed. The key to break out of this attitude is to stop judging how successful people run their lives because whether a kid bought a porsche by using his parent's bank account or to use their hard earned cash the fact that they are driving one is a success in their own life and we should let them be. (Even a kid that convinced their parents to buy them a 80k+ porsche is successful because even though my parents could afford to buy me one, I was never good enough to convince them.)

Socrates always liked people to ask questions, but the questions he taught that should be asked are those to enlighten one's life, not to waste their time or show their insecurities or failures.

If one must ask why younger people are driving porsche's these days, it makes you wonder, did they have one when they were young and now they are envious? If I were to ask the same question, it would make others think I believe I was the only young guy to own a porsche. This is the real world, and there are many successful people out there. The key to being successful is mind your own business focus on your own goals and meet them.

I don't mean to flame the topic all i want to say is that everyone has their opinions and voice them everday but we must remember they mean nothing unless they are fruitful. Negative ones that I've read like oh he's a rich guy, or he has 1mm worth of cars and no home etc. are only from those who want to say something bad or just say something period.

Opinions that do count are those that truly are productive and make people either money or enrich their lives. That is why some adviser such as lawyers, doctors, bankers get paid big bucks just to say a few words based on their own knowledge or instinct. The other 95% of the world only hold picket signs and yell out useless comments. Just look at what happened to the grocery stores.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:59 AM
Curves4S
Advanced

Originally posted by ruey220
i agree with you somewhat...i made close to a million at the age of 22 in the stock market a few years ago paid cash for a 00 996 and added 20k worth of mods to it spending over 100k I didn't even sweat when i signed the check. Thought since i was so ahead i can spare the extra money for a car but should have kept my discipline that allowed me to make a fortune on the market. i missed an opportunity to buy a house in a new development in SF for $550k with 110k down payment. 6 months later after the house was built it was on the market for $750k for bid. I could have bought the house first and made another easy 200k also. I was also foolish to be so in a hurry to get my first porsche that I spent so much on the Porsche for the amount I spent on the car plus upgrades I could have got a turbo 1 year later.

However, I disagree that you say it is being immature. Sure we can discuss how people bought their porsche at such a young age,but the bottom line is that it is their money and not our business or doesn't matter to us. Others would always criticize that they had the answer how money should have been spent, but remember to yourself, if you were doing everything perfect financially, from what I've seen through individuals that are truly financially independent, they don't care how other people spend their money since they lack insecurity that leads others to question how does he have one and why do I not have one?, or comments like "man o man, if I had 100k I would have bought a house instead, that guy is stupid." hmmm notice how the comments say if "I had."

Mysterys only come to life when its something you never experienced or witnessed. The key to break out of this attitude is to stop judging how successful people run their lives because whether a kid bought a porsche by using his parent's bank account or to use their hard earned cash the fact that they are driving one is a success in their own life and we should let them be. (Even a kid that convinced their parents to buy them a 80k+ porsche is successful because even though my parents could afford to buy me one, I was never good enough to convince them.)

Socrates always liked people to ask questions, but the questions he taught that should be asked are those to enlighten one's life, not to waste their time or show their insecurities or failures.

If one must ask why younger people are driving porsche's these days, it makes you wonder, did they have one when they were young and now they are envious? If I were to ask the same question, it would make others think I believe I was the only young guy to own a porsche. This is the real world, and there are many successful people out there. The key to being successful is mind your own business focus on your own goals and meet them.

I don't mean to flame the topic all i want to say is that everyone has their opinions and voice them everday but we must remember they mean nothing unless they are fruitful. Negative ones that I've read like oh he's a rich guy, or he has 1mm worth of cars and no home etc. are only from those who want to say something bad or just say something period.

Opinions that do count are those that truly are productive and make people either money or enrich their lives. That is why some adviser such as lawyers, doctors, bankers get paid big bucks just to say a few words based on their own knowledge or instinct. The other 95% of the world only hold picket signs and yell out useless comments. Just look at what happened to the grocery stores.

Good Insight.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:28 PM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

i'm 28, just got a huge sign on bonus and bought this car the same day in cash. love it! finally finished with school (8 years of it!).
Old 10-20-2003, 02:27 PM
stratpa
Intermediate

Reached 32 with a new 996 Cab and a new Range Rover...
Now 34 still have the cars but have only bought cribs and jewelry since

The secret ?

Make your first $1M BEFORE you get married and have kids
Old 10-20-2003, 02:59 PM
Fivetide
8th Gear

I’m 32 got married young had to kids worked as a Lorry driver to pay for my wife through UNI.. she got a great job + lover – divorce I fell out of the cab of my truck which I was living in at the time ..smashed my ankle so went to college found out I could understand algorithms bull****ted my way into a government contract learned the job and in 5 years earned over £500,000 I’ve got 3 Porkers 2 944 S2’s (one racing) and one very old 911 turbo.. I’m buying a TVR Cerbera in the spring. Just goes to show life isn’t over even when the tanks on empty.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ruey220

Ahhh.. The well meaning wisdom of a 20 something...

A friend of mine made an offhand comment ending a statement concerning my car, "when cars were important to him". This senior guy has prostate cancer, his wife terminal cancer and his knees are giving out - preventing him from playing tennis (which is a large part of his life).

This is important. Trappings of success (objects like cars/diamonds) appear important to lots of folks, but when you get down to the short hairs - they're not. That's probably something a dad would say.

Personally, I like my cars because of the thrills and joys of the performance (the bike is better for that tho').

Some of these forums are for opinions (like this topic) others tech help, I have no remorse & make no apologies....
Old 10-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Gery NJ
Racer

Hey falks there are 2 facts in life:
birth and death, everything in between should be fun. Why wait till you can not enjoy, but able to afford?
It's only money and if you can make a payment, enjoy it, there might not an opportunity tomorrow.
In my case I had to wait till 38 to get my first P-car, and only after my first child. With second one on the way, I can tell P-car only enhances life, not the life.
my 2 cents and back to work
Old 10-20-2003, 04:52 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Originally posted by Torags
Trappings of success (objects like cars/diamonds) appear important to lots of folks, but when you get down to the short hairs - they're not. That's probably something a dad would say.
This from someone with a $75K sports car, a $65K SUV, and a BMW bike.

People in their 20s have just as much right to enjoy performance vehicles as you do. And guess what, we aren't all morons. Age does not always breed intelligence.

Quick Reply: Youth and Porsches