996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Youth and Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:28 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HAHHAHAHA, Yes Kam.... I know that person as well!! Too bad she couldn't do better in those races, as she had never even Club Raced. I was quit envious, as it was the true definition of a "bought ride." I guess it helps her to have a different last name now, as to make it not so obvious as to where the money came from.

Mitch
Old 10-13-2003, 12:19 PM
BSC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24 - single - no kids

Yes, discipline and a decent break when it came to getting a good job are probably behind 90% of "us" - whoever we are as young owners. I have the same story as a lot of people - i have a finacial career, work hard, like it and get paid well to do it well. The P-car came (4 years used after 11 months of searching for the right one) after a three year stint with a mini van and then no car at all. I saved everything while I didn't have the car, had a plan for exactly how much I would be willing to spend when I did get the car and made sure I was still saving a good chunk once I had the car. Rightly or wrongly, as with a few other cars I've owner, I've always taken resale into consideration...I know how much I paid for this car and have a pretty good idea that I can resell for the same price (yes, argue if you like).
Old 10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
peterC4C
Instructor

Geez... When I was 24, me and the wife's only car Maxima got repoed because our dog got sick and ran up a huge vet bill (I think it was 1500, HUGE by our standard back then.)

True story.
Peter Liao
Old 10-13-2003, 02:22 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mitch:

Don't make it too obvious...
I don't want people who don't know the person know who the person is.

K
Old 10-13-2003, 02:31 PM
ronc4
Advanced

I'm 28 now, bought by C4 used a few years ago. I'm a doctor of chiropractic and I've had my own practice/ business now for 3 years and I have plans to open a second office. Wife works in hi-tech, we own our own home, and have no kids yet.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:16 AM
Curves4S
Advanced

who's that girl, i want to know who she is? a celebrity? or member of this board?
Old 10-14-2003, 09:39 PM
jon
Intermediate

22 years old and working hard... well... i did work hard.

Don't own a new 996 but a 2000.

I am working towards my degree and I am currently working as a database administrator.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

...Interesting thread.

33 now (wife of 4 years same). I'm an executive with a technology company in Seattle (all things bar code data driven) and have been on board for 9 years. Started at the bottom (had a family connection), now second from the top (VP). Paid for it though...have lived in Winnipeg, Vancouver, Minneapolis, Toronto, now Seattle (almost 4 years). Happy to be back on West Coast! So is wife (Personal Trainer Fitness Director for US Gov't facility).

No kids (never), have been dreaming of Porsche since age 12. Purchased new 1999 996 at 29, then new 2001 996 when Porsche bought back the 1999. Recently sold the 01 and am driving (and absolutley loving) a cherry 1987 Carrera Coupe (my first air cooled Porsche). Expect a 997 "S" sometime down the road.

It should be noted that even with two very good incomes, if we had children our auto choices would be much different. Taking a $50K hit on the 2001 996 was an eye opening experience and may compell me to buy only 'previously enjoyed' cars from now on!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 01:41 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Re: Re: Just turned 27 a month ago

Originally posted by Phil McGrath
HUH? You say in once sentence "I bought my Porsche in 8/03" Then we get to hear about your "well off parents" who bought you, your Porsche"? So which is it?

You then go on to say " well to do Asian parents who like to show off"....ummmm....ok....And do you like showing them off as well?

You also say " I work hard, make good money".....Cool! have you bought anything for yourself yet?....or is that entirely up to your parents, and your "coporate attorney" wife?.......Of course No Flame intended
What happened to Oakland996 post ? I was hoping he could
enlighten us...I'm curious how one becomes a corp. attorney at 24 !
Old 10-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Curves4S
Advanced

I too am interested. More so in seeing pics of some of his cars...
Old 10-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Examples of immature over indulgence.

Buy real estate and learn to live with an appreciating asset.

I'll bet this will get some flamin'.......
Old 10-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Torags
Examples of immature over indulgence.

Buy real estate and learn to live with an appreciating asset.

I'll bet this will get some flamin'.......
...no flame from me, however I would resent the immature/overindulgence comment only because I don't think that's an accurate statement. Anyone who purchases a new car, especially a high dollar auto should expect depreciation the minute it's driven off the lot. Only a fool wouldn't. However!!!, over time the general resale value of Porsche's 911 variants has been relatively strong compared to most other marques in the same segment. Certainly the 993 is proof (albeit with the added bonus of being the last air cooled version). Mass production of the 996 and a rather unsavory economic climate to boot has really pounded the used 996 market. There would have been no way to predict a nearly 50% depreciation in just two years time.

Now considering your point (a good one BTW), buying real estate would have been the smart play with the benefit of hindsight of course. When I purchased my 2001 996 in June 2001, the tech bubble hadn't yet burst, the markets were still strong and of course September 11th hadn't happened yet. Since I move around a lot and am still young real estate (other than primary residence) was not a consideration at the time as an alternative to plunking down the full $105K (paid cash no loan) for a rapidly depreciating toy.

I take some consolation though in the fact that had I thrown the money at Nasdaq instead (name just about any company)........I'd be WAAAYYYY worse of than I am now!!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 11:09 PM
BRUCE
Instructor

The Nasdaq is only down 10% from June of '01 and up 45% ytd so we can't use that rationalization anymore. Sorry for the reality check but you wouldn't have lost as much.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:15 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I can personally attest that westcoast996 would have lost more $. Check your records for Cisco & GE, two of the best run companies in the world.

Westcoast you would say some crap like that, to undermine my perfectly simpistic overgeneralization.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Torags
I can personally attest that westcoast996 would have lost more $. Check your records for Cisco & GE, two of the best run companies in the world.

Westcoast you would say some crap like that, to undermine my perfectly simpistic overgeneralization.
touch'eh

Quick Reply: Youth and Porsches