Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Who makes a really good carbon imitation GT3 wing and decklid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 10:35 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Who makes a really good carbon imitation GT3 wing and decklid?

I’m interested in getting a carbon fiber imitation GT3 wing and decklid (engine lid) for my 996.2 – ideally a 996.2 GT3 wing or an adaptation of the 997.1 GT3 wing (not an RS wing). I know there are many imitations available and some are carbon. The issue is that apparently aftermarket wings can change shape and become useless at high speed due to the air pressure, unless they are filled with foam like Porsche wings. Anyone know of a good aftermarket wing and decklid that addresses this issue?

Thanks!

(P.S. I'm also considering a used GT3 wing, and I recently started another thread asking about that. Apologies for any redundancy, but it seems to me that each of these threads might attract the attention of a fair number of people who would no pay attention to the other one (for instance, aftermarket suppliers in this case.)
Old 04-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Try mashaw.com, misha 911 & Getty design
Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Thanks, though I had the impression what while some of them make carbon wings, none of them make carbon engine lids. (I spent some time on some/all of their sites, though it was a while ago.)

Which raises another thought. To find carbon engine lids and wings that don't collapse at high speed, maybe I'll need to buy the engine lid from one supplier and the wing at another. (And any suggestions about where to turn would also be greatly appreciated!)
Old 04-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

What about the mk1 (taco) wing? I think that is carbon fiber from factory.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:46 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Neto
Fiberglass if I'm not mistaken. I think there are versions where the center part is carbon fiber though?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:05 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Fiberglass if I'm not mistaken. I think there are versions where the center part is carbon fiber though?
Oem street wings (non cup) are all integrated into the decklids as one piece and they are all hollow core fiberglass. I don't know where OP thinks it's filled with foam.

RS10, you seem to obsess over the most minute things that most likely will not make any negligible difference in the real world. Obviously that's your call but I do think your threads can go on and on for really little to no benefit than what's been said in the first few posts. That has just been my observation and not trying to be a jerk in any way.

If you're trying to save that last 5-10% of weight over FRP and/or want the bare cf look, I would say it could be worth it for some but otherwise, I don't really see the cost/benefit.

With that said, MA Shaw does take custom orders and can do any one of their wings in CF.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpine003
RS10, you seem to obsess over the most minute things that most likely will not make any negligible difference in the real world. Obviously that's your call but I do think your threads can go on and on for really little to no benefit than what's been said in the first few posts. That has just been my observation and not trying to be a jerk in any way.

With that said, MA Shaw does take custom orders and can do any one of their wings in CF.
Yes, but will they make them out of potato chips (salt and vinegar, preferably)?

-Eric
Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Yes, but will they make them out of potato chips (salt and vinegar, preferably)?

-Eric
Nah, it wouldn't be smooth enough and thus would create too much drag.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:07 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Oem street wings (non cup) are all integrated into the decklids as one piece and they are all hollow core fiberglass. I don't know where OP thinks it's filled with foam.
I was pretty sure I read it here, but after an hour of searching, I still can't find it. Though searching for "wing foam" in 996 and 996 GT2/GT3 forums did lead to 228 threads and no, I didn't search them all. Or it could be another forum. Or it could be nonesense - though I'm 99.9% sure I saw it in a post and I had the impression the author knew what they were talking about.

Alpine003, you said the street wings are hollow fiberglass. Perhaps if some wings are indeed filled with foam, it is just the carbon GT3 wings. That seems a bit counter intuitive though - if the weaker material (fiberglass) is strong enough that it wouldn't need any internal reinforcement, one would think the stronger one would be too - though some materials are stronger in some ways and weaker in others ... .
Old 04-04-2016, 08:20 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I understand that. When I referred the to 'the center part' I was referring to the airfoil.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:36 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

I may have found it, or at least something similar. A post by Torontoworker that I definitely read before:

"If your buying used or off the internet - get lots of close up photos of different areas of the wing, inside and out and if they won't do that - walk away. Oh, and beware of the top wing blades that are hollow - ie, no foam inside - they shake/vibarate at highspeed."

Not quite as I remembered - shaking or vibrating, not changing shape - but still not good. Though perhaps he was referring only to imitations, and not to OEM wings.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:55 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Neto
My understanding is that the the aerokit is all fiberglass (wing, supports, and decklid), and the GT3 version is all carbon.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 AM
alpine003
Banned

I understand that. When I referred the to 'the center part' I was referring to the airfoil.
I was referring to the the entire wing assembly including the airfoil as well. None of it came as cf from the factory on gt3 wings, only cup cars had this from the factory. The cf airfoils you see on some are aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Who makes a really good carbon imitation GT3 wing and decklid?