Sponsored by:

Coughing up foam insulation & moisture on inside of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:31 PM
GeorgeCo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coughing up foam insulation & moisture on inside of windshield

Lately I've been having two issues, which I suspect may be related. With the car sitting after a heavy rain, I'm getting moisture on the inside of the front windshield, passenger side. And when I start the HVAC blower, I get chunks of foam insulation out of every air duct. At first, I thought the windshield seal was failing, now I'm wondering if there is some plastic bit where a seal has failed near the air intake under the frunk lid. Any ideas? The parts diagrams do not really show any foam insulation in use, but I suspect they join the various ducting pieces. 2000 996 C2. Thanks. (As an aside, when I entered "foam" in the tags box, the autocomplete is "foam piece fly out my ***". That's not my problem, but it does make one wonder....)

Old 03-24-2016, 03:42 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect you've got two different issues. The foam coming out of the ducts is fairly normal for these cars - it's been happening to mine since I bought it. At this stage, it doesn't seem to be a problem operationally, but clearly we've got something deteriorating. There are posts about this (and maybe even a DIY) that point at a flap or door that sits between the AC vents and heater box.

Can't really help you on the condensation - I haven't really experienced anything like that (yet).

R
Old 03-24-2016, 03:58 PM
GeorgeCo
Instructor

Thanks. Can you identify the flap in the drawings and is it something that can be seen from below without disassembling the dash?
Old 03-24-2016, 04:13 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...rchid=23280831
Old 03-24-2016, 04:47 PM
GeorgeCo
Instructor

Perfect. I think this is it: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...nt-debris.html Thanks

Quick Reply: Coughing up foam insulation & moisture on inside of windshield