996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

A Plea to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 05:30 AM
safetywork
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great list but couldn't you build one of these yourself? Buy a pre-owned 996 and take all the stuff you want out and leave the stuff you want in, in. Of course you couldn't do anything to the motor (unless you transpl..... nah, that would be cost prohibitive).

By the way, I have a nearly stripped '99 996 C2 with the LSD... does anyone here know how to disable the traction control? Pull the fuse? Ah well, I guess turning off the TC via the button after start up isn't so hard.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:34 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect Roger is right about people not wanting to buy another RSA although the demand for the old one is pretty good right now.

Here are the reasons I think they should build it.

1) It would make for some great press. The car mags would love it. It would be fast, brake like crazy and have a little of that visceral feel that was lost with the 996.
2) It would be a good (not perfect) platform on which to build the next generation of club racers. For those of you suggesting that we just build the car don't understand how stock PCA club racing rules are set. You need a good base car to set the specs for things like weight, required options, brakes, etc.
3) I want one.

Chris C is absolutely right that a few other things should be changed like Porsches new rules around providing parts to rebuild engines and transmissions not to mention strengthening the drive train. These things need to happen no matter what cars are built.

Anyway, enough about this. Back to "what color should I powder coat my cup holders?"
Old 10-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

For those who want a cross between a sedan and a sports car there is the standard 996, for those who want a pure sports car that is fun for the road, and can be used durably on the track, there is the GT3, albeit at a high dollar cost.

The GT3 does not have the problems that Chris Cervelli pointed out that make the standard 996 unsuitable for severe duty, even if lightened of it's standard equipment. The R&D and tooling costs to change the standard 996's design and fix the problems would be to much given the low numbers of cars that would actually sell because of the changes.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:02 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really wish they would build it - or a new 356 for that matter.
My next posche will be something like this - No options except for the suspension and wheels - ditch everything else
Old 10-17-2003, 03:42 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

amen Brian Lopez. my honda accord (stock) will eat an original 911 for lunch,...thank goodness for progression.

Quick Reply: A Plea to Porsche