Sponsored by:

Track Video: Tried some 360° Shooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:30 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Track Video: Tried some 360° Shooting

I've been using GoPros for the past few years with some decent results. If the weather cooperated it wasn't too difficult to put together some good shots and multiple angles. The mounts and accessories are cheap. In short, they work.

Examples:

The only drawback to these cameras is in editing and trying to sync multiple angles. It takes a lot of time to get it right.

A friend of mine recently showed me a 360° video of a firefighter running into a blazing house. It was amazing. We started looking into more and it turns out there are a ton of these cameras coming on to the market this year. After a little research and a few beers, I ordered a Kodak SP360 4K ahead of last weekend's track day. Thankfully it arrived just in time.

Here are the results:

I only spent about 5 minutes mounting the camera to the roll cage. Set it and forget it. The beauty of these is that you don't really need to worry too much about the angles since they capture 245°

Took only 20 minutes to edit in the provided software, most of which was rendering the footage into youtube's 360 viewer.

Samsung, LG, Nikon, Canon, Sony have all announced their versions sometime this year. Should be pretty sweet!

More videos to come throughout the year!

Last edited by vandersmith; 03-22-2016 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:04 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Cool video setup but actually I just had to tell you how awesome your car looks on your signature. Lapis Blue?
Old 03-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:00 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Love the 360 video. Nice job.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:09 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Video is awesome. Get yourself a HANS!
Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm shocked that a blue car passed a guards red car. Video must be doctored somehow. Prolly photoshopped a silver car into a red one. Yeah, that's it.

As for the video, very cool setup. Plus, I'm always impressed that people are brave enough to post track vids on Rennlist. I have almost no track time and what little track time I have convinces me that I should never create proof of how bad I am. Much less post it. But very cool to watch someone else do it properly.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:39 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by fpena944
Cool video setup but actually I just had to tell you how awesome your car looks on your signature. Lapis Blue?
Thanks! And yep, Lapis Blue

Originally Posted by uberskier
Love the 360 video. Nice job.
Just signed up for another track day. Will try to angle it a little lower this time so the rearview mirror isn't directly in the way

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Video is awesome. Get yourself a HANS!
Friggin ordered a large Schroth and they sent me a friggin medium. Apparently I've got a fathead that needs a tree trunk for support

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I'm shocked that a blue car passed a guards red car. Video must be doctored somehow. Prolly photoshopped a silver car into a red one. Yeah, that's it.

As for the video, very cool setup. Plus, I'm always impressed that people are brave enough to post track vids on Rennlist. I have almost no track time and what little track time I have convinces me that I should never create proof of how bad I am. Much less post it. But very cool to watch someone else do it properly.
This would and could be an awesome place for critique - With so many seasoned guys on the board, it really would be a great place for people to provide advice.

I've actually been watching this to see my shift points and foot work, I've got a lot to work on. I used an AIM Solo DL to capture the track times, entry/exit speeds, shifting, etc. but still haven't figured out how it all works nor how to embed it into a video. Soon enough!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I like the v.360

Pretty cool!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-22-2016, 09:52 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

^^^that's high praise for those who don't know who our visitor to the 996 forum is
Old 03-22-2016, 11:00 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

That's really cool. Do you know if it will work with HLT?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:01 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Slopeslider
That's really cool. Do you know if it will work with HLT?
Thats the next step. I was using an AIM Solo to log but haven't figured out the software yet. I don't think Harry's can compile 360/VR video yet, there's actually very few software editing options. As an example, you can't use Final Cut or iMovie as it will flatten the image enough that youtube's 360 rendering process won't recognize it any longer.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:44 AM
eugizzle
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet setup! Sweet vid! Btw, which digital rev limiter do you have?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Plus, I'm always impressed that people are brave enough to post track vids on Rennlist. I have almost no track time and what little track time I have convinces me that I should never create proof of how bad I am. Much less post it. But very cool to watch someone else do it properly.
LOL! I think the same way as well! I progressed on DEs pretty quickly but know I still make some rookie mistakes on the track and would hate to show the world just how many take place during a typical session.

I do record my laps as well but keep them for my private collection. Well I sometimes show my wife and she tries her best to keep her eyes open from boredom but that's about it.

Originally Posted by vandersmith
Thanks! And yep, Lapis Blue
When I was looking for my car I originally wanted a red one as I always thought a Porsche or Ferrari should be red. Saw my car and fell in love with the color of Lapis Blue. Since then I've been a fan and in my non-biased opinion it is one of the best colors for these cars.

Enjoy that beauty on the track!

Quick Reply: Track Video: Tried some 360° Shooting