Sponsored by:

Point of no return. 996 Widebody Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 AM
geeky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Point of no return. 996 Widebody Build

Well, I've been talking about doing this project for over a full year and finally started it. I'm doing a full 996 track and SEMA 2016 build. The motor will be receiving a custom 1off turbo build and the body is also a custom 1off setup.

I'm using generic RSR 996 front flares that I modified to fit the OEM fenders and using AIR turbo rear flares that I'll be modifying to fit the Carrera.

I cut up the front flares today, will be working on glassing the rears next weekend.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:47 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed! Should be interesting to see the final product
Old 03-07-2016, 03:53 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WATCHING THIS TRANSFORMATION...
Old 03-07-2016, 05:11 AM
mattie_k
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally someone is doing this!
Haters are going to have a field day but what matters in the end is the vision YOU have for your creation!
Following!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:36 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I love the fact that you are doing things to the next level and without trying to sound like a d!ck, what will be some of the standout/unique attributes of this car besides a turbo and widebody, which have already been done a few times before?
Old 03-07-2016, 07:19 PM
racesx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed ...
Old 03-07-2016, 07:42 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What fun!! Anxious to see the progress!!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 PM
geeky
Instructor

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great input and the anticipation. As far as the questions you have asked I am making a custom chassis mount rear wing setup (that I hope to mass produce and make an affordable option for all track enthusiasts). Secondly, I'm planning on making a custom rear diffuser, but I am looking for a trashed up 996 rear bumper that I can use as a mock up.

Most importantly, I just purchased a spare hood. Going to purchase a 996 GT3 oem third radiator and create a radiator/downforce vent on the front of the hood like that of the Ford GT40, Flying Lizard R8, etc. Working on some renderings.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:30 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

This is going to be neat to watch progression.

Good Luck with everything!
Old 03-08-2016, 12:33 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow, good luck with the project. Very cool.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:55 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by geeky
I am making a custom chassis mount rear wing setup (that I hope to mass produce and make an affordable option for all track enthusiasts). Secondly, I'm planning on making a custom rear diffuser, but I am looking for a trashed up 996 rear bumper that I can use as a mock up.

Most importantly, I just purchased a spare hood. Going to purchase a 996 GT3 oem third radiator and create a radiator/downforce vent on the front of the hood like that of the Ford GT40, Flying Lizard R8, etc. Working on some renderings.
1st one sounds interesting

2nd one has been done a couple times at least so nothing new there.

3rd doesn't make too much sense to me. The OEM third radiator is really meant to be a supplemental radiator and cup car bumpers already have vents at the top of the bumper to relieve pressure and reduce lift. One member used a bigger radiator to make it as a primary radiator and did what you are thinking of.

Once again, just trying to provide some constructive criticism sooner, rather than have everyone at Sema think the same things later.

BTW, if you need a thrashed OEM rear MK2 bumper, contact me and it's yours for shipping cost and packing only.

Name:  image_60.jpg
Views: 4430
Size:  257.3 KB

Name:  image_61.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  212.5 KB

Name:  image_61.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  212.5 KB
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2016, 03:07 PM
geeky
Instructor

Awesome, and don't worry. I'm all about the constructive criticism to build this car. The rear diffuser has definitely been done, just trying to come up with my own flare of a design to work on the Porsche.

The third radiator I'm trying to design as the NSX's were. I don't have vents on the front bumper and I personally hate how they look. It's meant for airflow for the radiator, the primary purpose of what I am trying to build is for downforce so that the front of the car is loaded before entering into the apex and I don't have to trail brake in.

Shooting for a rear diffuser like this

Hood design and airflow. (watch the youtube video at the 21second mark)

Originally Posted by alpine003
1st one sounds interesting

2nd one has been done a couple times at least so nothing new there.

3rd doesn't make too much sense to me. The OEM third radiator is really meant to be a supplemental radiator and cup car bumpers already have vents at the top of the bumper to relieve pressure and reduce lift. One member used a bigger radiator to make it as a primary radiator and did what you are thinking of.

Once again, just trying to provide some constructive criticism sooner, rather than have everyone at Sema think the same things later.

BTW, if you need a thrashed OEM rear MK2 bumper, contact me and it's yours for shipping cost and packing only.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:39 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

It's about damn time you started work on this thing. Does this mean you won't have time for motorcyle antics with me this summer?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:12 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by geeky
The third radiator I'm trying to design as the NSX's were. I don't have vents on the front bumper and I personally hate how they look. It's meant for airflow for the radiator, the primary purpose of what I am trying to build is for downforce so that the front of the car is loaded before entering into the apex and I don't have to trail brake in
IMO, if it's a different design or looks that you want, then fine, but if you want max efficiency, I think putting slots on the top of the bumper is the proven way to go and effective enough where anything more could just have diminishing returns. If the Ford GT/NSX design was more effective on the 911, Porsche would've already done it for their various racing series they're involved with. One thing I can think of is that you will have to cut through the tub for the design you want, sacrificing the structural integrity. I think Porsche knew this and didn't want to go this route possibly.

Around 45s mark

As for front downforce in conjunction to minimizing lift, do you plan on putting canards on the front bumper? Another thing you can do is also vent the tops of the front fenders like the new 991 gt3's. I know Dodge Viper ACR's are also adopting that technique for a somewhat manufacturer produced street car.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:37 PM
geeky
Instructor

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
It's about damn time you started work on this thing. Does this mean you won't have time for motorcyle antics with me this summer?
Ha, right! I think I can still manage that. Plus, I'm aiming to have the WB build done by end of May at the latest as I need to have it prepped for RWB Seattle #3 build.

But I did post it up the 748 for sale. Need to get the boat done and sell it too after I enjoy it for a couple of weeks lol

Quick Reply: Point of no return. 996 Widebody Build