Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PLEASE Help!! Can a clear plastic instrument gauge window be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 06:49 AM
Edward Kay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry PLEASE Help!! Can a clear plastic instrument gauge window be replaced?

I am so upset I can barely think about getting in my Cab to drive it.

I was installing my Bumper Plugs Aluminum instrument rings last night. I put a little too much adhesive on one of the rings and it seeped over into the outer part of one of my smaller guages onto the clear plastic glass. I tried wiping it off quickly, but it was already too late. I tried removing it lightly with a razor blade, but I think it only served to dull or lightly scratch the plastic lens. What can I do that isn't going to cost me a fortune? Can those clear plastic lens be replaced? By who?

I was so happy to finally get my rings. They look great, but now the outer rim of one of my cluster gauges looks a little blury. I feel like a 4 year old did the job every time I look at it. It reminds me why I do not do this kind of do it yourself work any more.

I don"t think I can live with it on my otherwise flawless interior.
I can't believe something like this can get me so worked up.
I live in San Diego if that matters.

8-(
Old 10-05-2003, 09:54 AM
cobra06
Pro

Try a clear plastic polish first. Meguiers makes a cleaner and Polish as well as 3m and others. As long as the adhesive did not erode too deeply, it should polish out.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a picture? Jeff

Old 10-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Stellpflug
Advanced

what kind of adhesive were you using?

chris
Old 10-05-2003, 08:52 PM
Edward Kay
Advanced

I was using 3M adhesive. I think the clear plastic polish was the ticket.
I alternated for SEVERAL HOURS between clear plastic polish and adhesive remover with a toothpick. It is practically unnoticeable now. Next detail session I may go over once or twice more and I could possibly be nearly as good as new. I am just not very good with this do it yourself stuff. It reminded me why I pay people to do many of my mods (though I thought this was small enough to be no big deal). I usually create 10 times more work for myself.

I spent a lot of time on this. I think I may be ok now. Some great suggestions although it looks like I could have replaced the plastic lens from the picture in this thread.

I thought I was done for. I learned something about myself though. I learned how much of a disarray I can be in if my Carrera is messed up. Amazing. Some people enjoy doing mods themself. If you are good at it, it is understandable. I just enjoy driving my car.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:39 PM
ZeeZee
Instructor

Tip on trim ring install: Try fun-tack, roll it inside the rings, then press firmly onto the trim. Holds extremely well, but it's easily removable if for some reason you want to, and avoids the possibility of getting glue on the guage face covers by mistake.

Just a thought...

Quick Reply: PLEASE Help!! Can a clear plastic instrument gauge window be replaced?