Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:20 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Spacer Problem

I got some Adaptec wheel spacers for Christmas - 5mm front and 10mm rear. I installed them mid-January and (eventually) noticed some vibration at higher speeds (90ish). Did some searching on this and other forums and nothing jumped out until one post in a similar thread reminded me of something that I heard at one of the PCA tech sessions that I went to last year.

One of the club racers was talking about suspension, brakes, etc. when he pointed out that you should always remount tires with two wheel alignment tools (if you don't have studs). I've always used one (which is much easier than none), but it made sense. I gave using two a shot and not only was the high speed vibration cleared up, the overall smoothness of the ride has noticeably improved. Lesson learned.

R
Old 01-31-2016, 03:10 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

"One of the club racers was talking about suspension, brakes, etc. when he pointed out that you should always remount tires with two wheel alignment tools (if you don't have studs)."

I have never heard this and I have no idea what you are talking about. I no I am of no help and a novice but I always just used a torque wrench. What alignment tools are you referring too, thanks?
Old 01-31-2016, 03:23 PM
lahalte
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put spacers on all my cars. from Boxster to Z3 to 996 and have had no problems with vibration.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Sorry - probably should have elaborated on that!

It's the item in your spare tire tool kit that simply screws into the hub and allows you get your wheel mounted without having to hold the tire up while installing the lug bolts. His recommendation was to use two (he demonstrated by having them in adjacent lug holes).

R
Old 01-31-2016, 03:36 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I think the way your describing the alignment tool is throwing people off. Pictures are more helpful.

You screw them in, slide the wheel on, and it makes mounting the wheel a bit easier. No need for balancing the wheel on the hub while you try to thread the first bolt in. Extremely useful since you don't have to balance a spacer on the bolt as well.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:01 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

It would have nothing to do with the results. It is only to help you line the holes up. The wheel is centered by the hub. Not the bolts.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:29 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

^ Then why do the bolts have ball shapes on them?
Old 01-31-2016, 05:49 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sweet victory
I think the way your describing the alignment tool is throwing people off. Pictures are more helpful.

You screw them in, slide the wheel on, and it makes mounting the wheel a bit easier. No need for balancing the wheel on the hub while you try to thread the first bolt in. Extremely useful since you don't have to balance a spacer on the bolt as well.

Exactly! I was in a hurry and should have slowed down to elaborate. Thanks for chiming in

R
Old 01-31-2016, 05:52 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

every lug nut or bolt (in the world) has cone or ball seat. thats how they are made. Some wheels are centered by the bolts, some are centered by the hub- HUBCENTRIC
Old 01-31-2016, 06:26 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Perhaps one of the spacers was not fully seated. Very possible if there was rust/corrosion around the centering ring in the hub. The removal and reinstall with the guide lugs may have properly seated the spacer. Just an idea.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:47 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Perhaps Porsche wheels are hubcentric, but the 2 different race wheels I use are not.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:08 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

If you have PCCBs you should always use two guide pins to keep from chipping a rotor if you "drop" the wheel against the rotor.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:45 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Perhaps one of the spacers was not fully seated. Very possible if there was rust/corrosion around the centering ring in the hub. The removal and reinstall with the guide lugs may have properly seated the spacer. Just an idea.
That's my current theory, although rust/debris isn't likely to be the issue, at least in this case. Prior to the initial installation I got after it pretty good with a wire brush and some brake clean. These spacers were hubcentric, too, but there is still a fair bit of side to side play.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:50 AM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The play in the spacers is what threw your tires off balance. My previous 996 had some cheap universal spacers installed by the PO and no matter how hard you would try those darn thing were impossible to get centered due to the play and i would also get vibration at freeway speeds. Cured the problem soon as i got rid of those. If you dont have the right spacers with the right lug bolts it can get pretty dangerous and nasty on cornering at high speeds.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacer Problem