Sponsored by:

Window Tinting Advice in CA

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 11:51 AM
TitanL9
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tinting Advice in CA

Well, I've finally reached the point of understanding why so many tint their windshields. Both my wife and I feel the need... Not sure why the sun appears stronger when driving the PCar, versers all my other rides.

Any suggestions on what kind, what windows and who's got the talent to install? Also, is anyone familiar with California laws regarding tinting windows?

Your wisdom and experience is appreaciated.

Last edited by TitanL9; 06-09-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

There are a couple qualifiers here. There is the LEGAL limit, and then there is the PRACTICALLY ENFORCED limit. While the legal limit is quite restrictive, the enforced limit is quite lenient.

In Kali there is no limit to how dark the rear windows can be. Better stated, in a 911, your back window and 2 rear quarter windows can be any darkness.

The front 2 windows (driver & passenger side) must be 85% VLT (visible light transmission). This film is all but useless, and many tint shops do not even carry this light of a film.

Your front windshield I believe can only have something like 95% VLT film (useless for sunlight protection, but many Asian people get this film for its additional UV protection). This film will help prevent your dash from fading over time.

SIDE & REAR WINDOWS:
Practically speaking, few if any LEOs (law enforcement officers) will stop you for having 50% VLT film ("light" on a scale of light, medium, dark, limo). IMHO, 50% VLT is not very useful, but better than nothing if you're really paranoid about the cops.

You can get away with 35% VLT film ("medium") most of the time, although you need to start watching out for cops. The medium film adds a great deal more protection from heat and light.

20% VLT ("dark") is my film of choice. It is very protective of the sun and rejects a huge amount of heat. Asthetically, this is also the film that makes your car look the best from the outside. If you are older or have less than perfect eyesight, you will have a hard time seeing out of your windows at night. If you live in a high enforcement area (Santa Barbara & Soviet Monica, for example) you WILL eventually be pulled over for your dark tint. However, in 7 years of having dark tint, I've only been pulled over once for it.

WINDSHIELD:
As far as the windshield is concerned - many tint shops refuse to do it because anything darker than the 95% VLT limit makes your car "unsafe" to drive and your car CAN be impounded. I have personally had 85% VLT on my windshield in 1 car, and I will never do it again. Because the windshield is laminated glass and has some amazingly compound curves, I found that the field of vision was a bit distorted. Furthermore, if you wear polarized sunglasses (ie. Maui Jim) you will see all kinds of rainbow colors while you're driving. Depending on the driver, this can be very distracting. Again I recommend AGAINST having front windshield tint.

Now, here's the important part: film selection. The cheapest stuff is dyed film. This will fade to purple over time and is basically arcane technology. I personally use nothing but metallic films, as they reject more heat than traditional dyed films and they are less prone to turn purple over time. You will pay roughly $50 more per car for metallic film, but it is worth it.

One caveat - you cannot/should not use metallic films on any laminated glass (such as Mercedes S class windows or any front windshield). The metallic composition of the film will reflect so much energy into the laminating film that it will cause delamination or worse yet - cracked glass.

Some people on the board have been talking about HuperOptik ceramic film recently, but I know nothing about it so I can't comment.

Make sure you choose a reputable shop that does high-end cars. You do NOT want to go to the car stereo place in the strip mall that also sells wheels, aero kits, and stickers that say "Powered by Deez Nutz".

Hope this helps! Email me if you need more info.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Did mine with 50% Huper Optik all around... I like how in the day it barely looks tinted, but at night it looks dark. Keeps the car nice a cool.

You can check out Huper Optiks website...even at 50% it helps and is not useless.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/consumer_auto.cfm
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally have not tinted any of my windows (I drive a Cab) but I heard that some films will negatively impact the range of your radar detector. Don't know if it's a factor for you, but just thought I should mention it.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Leon

That's what I heard also. Tint that contains metals can, but not always, interfere with electronics. The huper Optik is a Ceramic tint that does not contain any metals in it. My V1 works just as well as before I had the tint done.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:53 PM
santicua
Instructor

I went with the Huper Optik 35% and it works great! Rejects a lot more heat than the regular dyed film. Also has no effect on my V1.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:22 PM
donnyj
Instructor

I found that the field of vision was a bit distorted. Furthermore, if you wear polarized sunglasses (ie. Maui Jim) you will see all kinds of rainbow colors while you're driving. Depending on the driver, this can be very distracting. Again I recommend AGAINST having front windshield tint.

Man is that what it was I thought some nutter had slipped an LSD tab in my beer.

Donny J

Thanks for the explaination it answers my ? on the other tinted glass thread.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting Advice in CA