Sponsored by:

Oil pressure fluctuates Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 04:07 AM
Curves4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure fluctuates Help!

My oil level was running low the other day and the Oil pressure dial was shooting up to 4.75 - 5 everytime the rpms rose.. I then left the car alone for a day so that i could buy some oil from the dealer. I added a full quart of oil and according to the Onboard computer i have one notch under the max level. Now the Oil pressure is still running high everytime the rpms rise when in gear. What's going on? do i need to drain some oil? Is this going to be a major problem?
Old 10-03-2003, 05:21 AM
Curves4S
Advanced

Ok I've check the oil level again after the engine has some time to cool down. It is now reading more than full (above the max line) F#$! What the F*ck is going on. According the the manual 1qt raises the notches two levels.. the other day i was below minimum and then add one quart and now its more than full. This is BS... Can someone help me out. I need to drain some oil. How do i go about doing this?
Old 10-03-2003, 05:37 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Curve,

It is always advisable, so i learnt, to keep the oil level one or two notched below the maximum level indicated on the dashboard.

Overfilling oil might cause you rear main engine seal to losen out and that is quite a serious problem. The RMS in my previous 996 failed and I had to change it along with the clutch disc and plate because they were full of oil.

As for the oil pressure guage, it tell you specically the oil pressure and not how much oil is in the sump. The oil guage is always high at cold engines, and reduces when hot. It varies between 1 and 5 depending on the engine rpm when hot. It is not necessary for it to hit mark:5 even at your redline.

Finally, I do hope you are using the same grade oil to top what you already have in the engine.

Breifly: GO DRAIN YOUR SUMP NOW!!! (COLD ENGINE)

Waz
Old 10-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having a bit too much oil is not going to hurt anything. If you want to drain some out unscrew the oil filter cannister and dump the oil out. Put cannister back on, start car, and check level. If you need to remove more then repeat. Jeff
Old 10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read your manual,
Old 10-03-2003, 01:23 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

If I understand your question correctly, the oil pressure gauge will be pegged when the engine is revved. Only at idle will the gauge read lower. Oil level gauge will move in the opposite direction (ie when idling will read full, under use will decrease).
Old 10-03-2003, 01:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,694 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Curve4S: on C4S, i believe each tick on the instrument oil gauge is 1/4qt. so one quart will raise 4 ticks.

also, check the level when the engine is COLD. do that first thing in the morning before you drive off.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

As far as pressure is concerned: the pressure should increase as your engine speed increases. This is normal.

It is not normal, however, to have your oil pressure fluctuate if your engine speed is constant (ie. cruising along at 3,000 RPM, your oil pressure should be pegged at 4 or 5 bar).

Also, since you're new to the Porsche world: when adding oil, it is advisable to only pour 1/4 to 1/3 of quart in at a time and then check the level. Once you get used to how much oil raises the indicator, then you can start adding 1/2 quarts or whole quarts at a time.

Finally, don't buy your oil from the dealer. For one thing, you will waste your time driving all the way to the dealer. For another, you will usually pay much more for it. Just go to any autozone or kragen and pick up Mobil 1 0W-40.

BTW, any chance you can load some of those pics from the Temecula run?

Old 10-03-2003, 05:25 PM
Curves4S
Advanced

Thanks Guys...i will be draining some of the oil today...

Ryan, Pics will be up as soon as i can get my friend over to help me out.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Curves4S
Advanced

So I went to the Beverly Hills service dept to have them look at the car.

They checked the oil and it read at max. However, no oil was drained because they said the car would burn off the excess anyway and it wouldn't be a problem. They also said that the Oil Pressure shooting up to 5 is normal under exceleration. Does this sound right?
Old 01-03-2004, 07:42 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

when i drive around the oil pressure hovers between 4-5bar. at stop/idle, the oil pressure is just under 2bar. i hope thats in line with what everyone else is seeing
Old 01-03-2004, 08:02 PM
dakar34
Advanced

I had some problems with varying readings on mine. The sending unit was failing; once replaced the problems vanished. As to overfilling, I don't really know but enough people said things about dry sumps, hydro-locking, and catastrophic failures to make me nervous about it ...
Old 01-03-2004, 08:06 PM
dakar34
Advanced

BTW, when I said varyinn reading I meant different readings under the same conditions, e.g., varying dramatically from one idle moment to another. I believe that it is quite normal to run 4-5 at speed and 1-2 at idle ...
Old 01-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

penguinking. Yes that's normal.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure fluctuates Help!