Sponsored by:

Take a look in Naples?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 AM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Take a look in Naples?

Hey rennlisters, I am on the hunt for a 996 Coupe and found a nice car in Naples, FL. I was wondering if any one in the area could drop by and put some eyeballs on it. Pics look fantastic, and I'd like to take the next step.

No real need to drive it, just go over it cosmetically and get a sense for how it measures up. It is nicely optioned, low mileage with very recent IMS, RMS, and clutch replacement.

Also, if any locals have a recommendation for a PPI source (dealer, independent, or enthusiast), that would also be much appreciated.

PM me with what you have, and THANKS!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:40 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

What are you looking for ? I may sell mine
Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
What are you looking for ? I may sell mine
He is looking for someone local to the area to go look at a car for him that he has found. Can you help him or are you just trying to pawn yours?
Old 01-21-2016, 10:40 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

just trying to pawn mine
Naples is not in my area, I am on the east coast ;S
Old 01-21-2016, 11:38 AM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Thanks M3, that is exactly right. Found a nice car, its a 6+ hour drive to get there. If it checks out, I would be doing a 1 way rental over to get it and then head home to far NE Florida (north of JAX). Really just looking to calibrate all the "glowing reviews" from the seller before I send a deposit, do PPI etc.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:34 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

If you don't have any luck maybe try posting up in the regional section of the forum HERE. Good luck!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 01-21-2016, 03:30 PM
lahalte
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live 40 minutes north of Naples and could take a look this week-end. There are two qualified shops for a PPI . One is more expensive than the other. The other one is in Fort Myers and is my favorite. Honest and are qualified for Porshe.Let me know
Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the advice and offer to help. Most welcome. Turns out that I'm getting a little less warm/fuzzy as this goes forward. Supposedly a "snow bird" car for most of it's life. winter in FL, summer in the midwest.

But an existing PPI that the seller did just last month at Porsche of Naples comments on corrosion and surface rust on much of the underside of the car, shows dirty brake fluid, and does not give any indication of paint meter readings or a DME Range Report. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to dig deeper.

Also, no service records other than 1 maintenance in Ohio 4 years ago on the Carfax,,then the latest one at the seller's location just a month ago.

Only 1 key, no biggie, but this was supposedly a very low use (and showing low mileage) car that received much TLC from an older "non driver" enthusiast.

On the Plus side, is that there is documentation from the seller showing an IMS, RMS, and clutch kit in December just 200 miles ago.

Gonna check with inspecting dealer tomorrow and make my decision on whether to go forward or keep "chasing"!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:16 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
Thanks guys for the advice and offer to help. Most welcome. Turns out that I'm getting a little less warm/fuzzy as this goes forward. Supposedly a "snow bird" car for most of it's life. winter in FL, summer in the midwest.

But an existing PPI that the seller did just last month at Porsche of Naples comments on corrosion and surface rust on much of the underside of the car, shows dirty brake fluid, and does not give any indication of paint meter readings or a DME Range Report. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to dig deeper.

Also, no service records other than 1 maintenance in Ohio 4 years ago on the Carfax,,then the latest one at the seller's location just a month ago.

Only 1 key, no biggie, but this was supposedly a very low use (and showing low mileage) car that received much TLC from an older "non driver" enthusiast.

On the Plus side, is that there is documentation from the seller showing an IMS, RMS, and clutch kit in December just 200 miles ago.

Gonna check with inspecting dealer tomorrow and make my decision on whether to go forward or keep "chasing"!
Don't walk away, run away. I would not buy a car that I could not drive first. I spent several hundred dollars on a round trip to San Francisco to see a car with all the good vibes you could ask for. In the flesh it was a disaster. I had been looking at a car in Texas...thinking I'd have it shipped since a three day drive back to LA didn't excite me. The trip to SF made me swear never to buy it if I can't drive it first. You might miss out on some great cars (on paper at least)...but you won't be gambling on other people's opinions.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:35 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

John, I hear ya' and am taking your advice (and following my gut and experience from many other purchases). Also, thanks to all who offered advice and assistance.

Long story short, I passed this morning after talking to the shop that did the PPI. They confirmed that the car seems to have spent much more time in the midwest than I had been led to believe and that much of the HW and components on the engine, exhaust, etc, had significant rust and corrosion. With only 30 K miles on the clock, I was surprised at that amount of deterioration. The Service Manager even mentioned his concern about broken studs, fittings, etc. if disassembly were required. Nuff said!!

So, the search continues...
Old 01-22-2016, 12:40 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

can you post a link to the car you passed, I am curious about the market price on low mileage 996.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:56 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Was on Ebay with a BIN of $24,500. Listing was ended early (last night) before I could call this morning and pass. When I last checked yesterday night, bidding had gotten to $18,001 with pretty much only 2 bidders going back and forth.

When I was talking to the seller yesterday, he said he thought $23.5K would buy it. I would not have paid that even if was OK on the PPI.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:30 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

+1 on never buying a car especially a Porsche over the internet with only photos and even PPI's. My 02 C4S had a 3k repair bill waiting for me as soon as it rolled off the trailer. Also stunk to high heaven and had some iffy bumper overspray. Nothing that the PPI I paid $300 picked up. Dealer turned out to literally be a crook. Got arrested over similar instances in other sales. Lesson learned. Buy local or make the trip.

Quick Reply: Take a look in Naples?