Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fall's here, winter's coming - only one car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Brian Lopez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my C2 in the snow once, it was really no fun at all. AWD or not, there are too many risks driving in snow. Besides, enjoying a 911 to me means dry grippy pavement. I say C, a beater and the prize.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:38 PM
John Murray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayenne....if you can get one. They seem to be selling much faster these days....
Old 10-04-2003, 02:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If your planning on driving your Porsche during the winter than put snow tires on it! Don't gamble with the Z-rated tires you have. PSM helps a LOT but won't help enough. Snow is not the only thing that drastically reduces tire grip, low temperatures (40F) will also slightly reduce traction. Not drastically but enough that you will have to change your driving habits (no more WOT coming out of a corner unless your ready for the wheels to more than chirp.) Most owners make the mistake of trying to drive with Z-rated tires during a slight dusting of snow and then decide that all Porsches suck during the winter because their choice of tire was "lacking." (To this day I don't think my neighbors have had a more memorable experience than the first morning I tried to drive in the snow in the "expensive, waste of money, looks like a VW, the engines in the wrong place, etc. european sports car.") Having a majority of the cars weight sitting above the driven wheels is a great thing IF you have proper tires. You'll be really surprised how having a huge amount of torque driven through the rear wheels can be a wonderful thing. If anything, your C2 will be easier to drive during winter than 95% of the crap on the road. Some of my greatest memories driving a Porsche come from my parents place in Northern Quebec where the snowbanks were easily 10'-15' every winter and you didn't have to worry about bouncing off them, you just had to keep an eye out for the random snowmobile.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 10-04-2003 at 02:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Fall's here, winter's coming - only one car...