Sponsored by:

996 front side markers leak water inside the fender

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Duane Salmon
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 front side markers leak water inside the fender

Has anyone experienced dirt/water inside 996 front fenders? When I had the headlight assembly removed, I noticed much dirt and water inside the fender and a large gap at one end of the marker lamp where it is getting in. Not good for the headlight electrical connections. Anyone come up with a fix that still allows you to pop off the side marker lamps?
Old 12-28-2015, 09:34 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Strange, are your inner fenders (liners) on correctly with all of the screws, pins etc. in place?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Duane Salmon
7th Gear

fpb111, Inner liners are fine. I removed passenger's side inner liner recently due to an EVAP problem so I am sure they are installed correctly. Gap (where you would pull up on the side marker lamp from outside the car to remove it) is the same on both sides of the car. I am thinking of fabricating a piece of flexible plastic to fill the gap and I hope it does not interfere with side marker lamp removal. Will try to take pictures with headlight pod removed (worth a thousand words).
Seems to me that it was designed this way to remove the side marker lamps (they are orange, not aftermarket clear), but it is unfortunate that the gap allows road debris from wet tires into the inside of the wheel well behind the inner liners.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Duane Salmon
7th Gear

Driver's side fender, headlight pod removed, backlit with a flashlight.

Passenger's side fender, headlight pod removed, backlit with a flashlight.

Driver's side fender, wheel removed, backlit with a flashlight

Driver's side fender, wheel removed, backlit with a flashlight, lower angle, can clearly see the opening that water can get behind the inner liner.

Quick Reply: 996 front side markers leak water inside the fender